TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:27 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:00 am 

Hey everyone this is my first post and i hope im writing this in the right section. I came across an 87 Sprint Turbo for $50.00 and the only thing wrong with it is the clutch is out. I was wondering if it is possible or if someone already has is to put the cyclinder head (MPI) / intake manifold into my geo metro (89-93). The reasoning for this is that i dont want to have to fab engine mounts. Would i be gaining that much more by switching the cyclinder head out in the first place?

FYI: I HATE :evil: that sprints body style. Ugly...

Someone want to sell me their GTI? :D haha...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:50 am 
a.k.a Bum head

You'll need to swap more than just the head and exhaust with turbo since you'll have to have the turbo car's ECU in order to run the engine properly.

I'd suggest swapping the entire engine, wiring sensors and ECU out of the turbo car and into your car. If you have an automatic transmission, it'll work, but you might just be better off getting used to the Mk1 body style and driving that car instead.

Besides, if you're looking for the fun factor, you can throw that little Mk1 car around a lot easier than your '93, since it's a lot lighter.

Chris

ps: Even if you don't want to do the swap, buy the car anyway. You'll get a lot more than $50 out of it even if you just part it out.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:51 pm 
Suzuki Elder

hehe, i'd give you your $50 back for just the turbo! :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:52 pm 

i have the complete chevy sprint. I just dont care for the body style, and the body is in pretty ruff shape. Im just wondering or if someone has installed the MPI head on a newer block because running a turbo engine on a single injector probably isnt the best idea. Or is there a better way of doin this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:34 pm 

Hi Ryan.
Its not a simple swap. The head will bolt on, and work, but the whole ECU/wiring harness/MAF, etc., will have to be used. The easiest thing to do is swap out the whole thing, or get used to the superior looks of the 87 car. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:36 am 

rp4life wrote:
i have the complete chevy sprint. I just dont care for the body style, and the body is in pretty ruff shape. Im just wondering or if someone has installed the MPI head on a newer block because running a turbo engine on a single injector probably isnt the best idea. Or is there a better way of doin this?

I'm currently in the process of turboing my 96 1.0L Metro with the single injector. Keep your eye on the turbo forums for updates on my project.

For driveability though, the MPI setup is far superior.

Someday I will get another Metro, but this time it will be all out built 1.3L!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:23 am 
Suzuki Elder

91CavGT

i can't wait! :D

i swapped the MPI head, intake and exhaust manifolds, turbo, MAF, knock control sender, ecu, and wiring to my car. everyone i talked to told me that the NA ecu wouldn't handle the turbo and that the fuel delivery wasn't up to the task.

i've seen some cars that had the single point throttle body fitted with a pressure hat and turbo. they didn't even have an intercooler. i don't know if those cars even had piggyback efi controls.

hope you get it worked out. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:06 am 

But can a single injector deliver enough fuel to a turbo'd engine? Maybe a bigger injector, fuel pump, and tune the fuel curve? Even if i do swap the whole engine out i would still need to take out all the wiring and ECU and then weld/fab some engine mounts. I already have taken out the engine wiring harness (piece of cake).

And on another note...is there an engine rebuild kit (not OEM) or place that i can order parts from that will lower the compression of the metro's engine (around 8.0 or so) if i just decide to swap the cyclinder head?

The mk1 body style...im sorry to dissapoint you suprf1y but the aerodynamics of the car is mind boggling.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:18 pm 

rp4life wrote:
But can a single injector deliver enough fuel to a turbo'd engine? Maybe a bigger injector, fuel pump, and tune the fuel curve? Even if i do swap the whole engine out i would still need to take out all the wiring and ECU and then weld/fab some engine mounts. I already have taken out the engine wiring harness (piece of cake).

And on another note...is there an engine rebuild kit (not OEM) or place that i can order parts from that will lower the compression of the metro's engine (around 8.0 or so) if i just decide to swap the cyclinder head?

The mk1 body style...im sorry to dissapoint you suprf1y but the aerodynamics of the car is mind boggling.. :D

I am going to be experimenting with changing out the entire throttle body that has a larger 56 pph injector that is rated at 10 psi of fuel pressure. This injector can handle pressures as high as 70 psi.

I currently have a cylinder head that Mike Cove is rebuilding(I hope it shows up this week) for higher compression, even though I'm turboing it too! The motor should have about 10:1 to 10.5:1 compression ratio, and it will be running about 5 psi of intercooled boost.

Someday I will get another Metro, but this time it will be all out built 1.3L!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:04 pm 

On a turbo'd car dont you want a lower compression engine to comp for the added boost? How much is mike charging you for the rebuild job?

Since you started talking about throttle bodies...What is the ideal throttle body that you would use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:19 pm 

rp4life wrote:
On a turbo'd car dont you want a lower compression engine to comp for the added boost? How much is mike charging you for the rebuild job?

Since you started talking about throttle bodies...What is the ideal throttle body that you would use?

Yes, you preferably do want lower compression, however if you're only running low boost like I will be doing, the higher compression will help off boost response as well as it will help spool up the turbo faster(especially since I'll be running a large turbo for the 3 cylinder motor). I'll be running low boost(around 5 psi), it will be intercooled, and I'm gonna be running water injection so there is a good chance that my intake temps while under full boost will be VERY close to ambient. The water injection will also make the car act like it is running race gas when under boost so I'm not concerned about detonation.

Mike is charging me $350 US + shipping for everything. I personally think this is one helluva deal. I'm getting a cam, timing gear, milled head, ported and polished, vatted, and everything is tested to see if it is within spec. If the parts aren't within spec, they get changed out. Like I say, for everything you get, you can't go wrong!!

As far as throttle bodies, I'll be experimenting with a throttle body from a 1989 Chevy Cavalier 2.0L 4 cylinder. This car uses a Rochester model 500 throttle body that has a fuel injector that is rated at 56 pph @ 10 psi of fuel pressure. It's big to say the least! It can also operate at high pressures(80 psi) reliably. This injector is rated at 155 pph @ 80 psi of fuel pressure!! So it is capable of flowing enough fuel to support around 200 hp!!

I don't know if this will work as of yet. My biggest concern is not fuel delivery while under boost, but rather driveability when not under boost. Hopefully in a couple of months I'll see how it does(I've already got all the parts, I just need time to modify the factory 1.0L intake and install it all).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:19 pm 

One last question....Does anyone know of a place that sales better engine rebuild kits then just the OEM ones?