TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: T3 running rich!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:21 pm 

Does anybody have an explanation as to why my T3 is running rich? You can smell the gas even when its warmed up! What parts may cause this to happen? And are there any adjustments I can make in order to clean it up a bit? Fuel mileage seems a bit low. Also, if the timings off (how I don't know) how much of a difference would that make? I'm gonna need to borrow a timing light from somebody, as mine is broken. Thanks for the help guys!

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject: UPDATE!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:58 pm 

Well, I spent approximatley 6 hours today thrashing away on the T3, and found some interesting stuff. First, the car seemed to be running rich on the bottom, lean on the top. After switching o2 sensor, fuel pressure regulator, and fiddiling with all the screws, I finally decided to check the timing. Since it seemed like there was no power what-so-ever on the top end, I loosened the distributor holding peice, and cranked it forward so it pretty much uses all the space left for adjustment (rotated it towards the back of the car, as in the top bolt moved towards the steering wheel). HOLY SHIT! Now the car runs like a damn, has great low end, and just screams up top. However, the bottom end is still rich, and now it idles at 1500rpm when warmed up. May need to fiddle with the idle adjustment screw some more (pain in the ass to reach). Any comments on what else I could check out to solve the rich bottom end? Thanks!

Adam

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:54 am 
Suzuki Elder

by tweaking the distributor, you basically advanced the spark. that'll definitely liven up the party! :D just be careful that you haven't advanced it too much. a timing light is a handy thing.

i'd check the TPS and idle screw adjustments to bring the idle back down to 1,000 rpm with the engine at operating temp. the fast idle is set up by the idle air circuit built into the thottle body assembly. the idle air circuit operates via coolant circulating through the throttle body assembly from the intake manifold and exiting to a return on the metal manifold tube that feeds the water pump. since the temperature of the coolant opens and closes the idle air valve, it could be that it's stuck open. the idle air adjustment screw adjusts a parallel circuit that feeds bypass air into the manifold. if the valve sticks open a bit, it will constantly feed excessive air. that may be why your air/ fuel mix goes lean at the top end.

the idle air circuit is the culprit for a number of operational woes these days as the hardware gets old. personally, i'd like to be able to disable mine completely. the thermowax is getting too old to do it's job correctly.

http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=2566

the above link is a good page to reference from the t3 supplement now located in the manuals section of the album section. you can browse thru it by clicking on the album button at the top of each site page.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:12 am 

Using a timing light like the old ones that you remove a spark plug lead and fit a adapter thing between the plug and the lead can damage the computer. Always use an inductance type timing light, thats the ones that have a sliding clip thing that slides over the lead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:33 am 

OMG, thank you for the answers! T3, that is very helpful, but how could you believe that the very first day the T3 supplement was available I didn't dl it? :lol: Now I just need to print it off and make a manual out of it. Now mightyboy, that is also extremely helpful. Wha happened to the timing light is my father let his buddy borrow his, and his friend ended up running over it. It doesn't seem to be pinging, and I am running 89' octane right now. Definitly will have to take a look at what T3 Ragtop said. Thanks a bunch again!

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:56 pm 
Suzuki Elder

run some hi test! 89 octane ain't the shizznits for that car!

91 at the least and 93 if you can get it would make the wee beasty way happier.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:07 pm 

Red Deer only goes up to 91, so I am gonna have to limit what I do to the car. Power seems great now, no problems except its time to get rid of the rusted out exhaust system :twisted: Anybody know of a cheap place in Calgary or Edmonton that could bend me one up?

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:58 am 

hey adam, calgary muffler told me between $175 to $200 not including muffler and they are pretty fast too. I went there with a co-worker of mine on our lunch break to get a whole exhaust from the cat back, and we were back at work in a hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:12 am 

Hmmm, interesting. A performance shop in Edmonton told me $275 :shock: And after hearing that some places were doing it for like $150, I almost freaked. I'll definitly have to give em a call.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:48 am 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

It may be a good idea to check the lower timing belt pulley. Those engine have the nasty habit of losening the crankshaft bolt and thus, destroy the keyseat. Come a point where the timing is completely off due to the puley sliding a few degres back. In this case, the engine will run like shit at normal timing settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:47 am 

Gah. don't scare me Jardamuth, I've read about that problem so many times here :cry: I'll check it out today, along with a little bit of other fiddly stuff I gotta take care of.

Chassis Flex Motorsports