TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:49 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:51 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

well i just got home from failing to make it to emissions testing :(

not failing the emissions testing, but failing to make it all the way there.

I should have turned around and went home after i found the power cables had bounced themselves off the battery terminals somewhere between my house and napa, but i didn't. instead i reconnected and tightened them down, fired up the car and headed off in heavy traffic for the emissions facility.
going through the tunnel, i flipped on the headlights, no dash lights, wtf ? hit another bump in the road and they came back on, took me a moment and then i noticed my temp gauge was at the wrong end ! when i got off the freeway i squeezed the hoses and they weren't too hot at all, i even popped the rad cap and dipped my finger in, no 3rd degree burns either, but the "coolant" is the color of mild chai tea and a bit sticky. i limped it home to a parking spot on the street. the overflow bottle wasn't filling up, but there a bit of fluid had leaked out the rad cap when i parked it ... but nothing quite like what i would expect if i'd really been running it that hot, that long.
AARGH :thwack:
blown head gasket or bad sensor ?

a little more info, i JUST changed the oil on the car this morning after the cars been sitting garaged for a few years. There was some evidence of moisture on the underside of the oil filler cap last night, before the car had been ran for it's first real drive, but nothing today when i did the oil change, just nasty black oil. i was getting a bit of whitish smoke/vapour last night while the car was still cold and under acceleration, but then it went away. same thing this morning when the car was cold, but it went away after a few minutes of driving.

I'm going to go down later just turn the key to "on" and see if the temp gauge moves, if it heads for hot with the engine cold, i can be somewhat content that it's just electrical gremlins, but until then i'm going to worry myself sick. :blaaah:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:33 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Assuming the MK1s used a similar style of coolant sensor as the Swifts, when the wire is disconnected from the sensor, the gauge should be pegged into hot area of the coolant gauge. If you suspect a blow headgasket, you must consult the Mystical Compression Tester. The Mystical Compression Tester sees all.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:05 am 

Quote:
The Mystical Compression Tester sees all.

Not really. Most times a compression test won't pick up a bad head gasket. It could be a bad sensor/bad connection. Check that first. The fan switches on those cars are notorious for going south, but it sounds like it wasn't even hot.
Change the coolant, and watch it. If its a blown head gasket, it will get low pretty fast, especially under high boost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:06 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

well it sounds like i may have all of the above problems except a blown headgasket ...
suggestion on replacement fan switches ? i'm hoping santa brings me an digital multimeter for christmas ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:18 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

santa (aka. dad) brought some of my tools down over the weekend, including the multimeter. there appears to be a sensor/switch on the radiator for the fan and a second one i'm assuming is for the temp gauge, however is there more then 1 for actual temp ? eg. 1 for the gauge, and another for telling the ecu, eg the coolant mod for richening up the mixture ?
where do i find the one going to the gauge ?

also are there any generic sources for fan sensor switch ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:24 am 

I don't know where it might be... but could it be near the head? The fan switch is near the t-stat...