TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:22 am 
Main twit

great post. thanks for the information. im considering using this type of setup although i already have a large front mounted intercooler... but im also making alot more power then stock. :-P

Mk1 3cyl - 185whp/150ftlbs - 1/4mile 13.97@103mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:43 am 

In the car I assume the water temperature would be closer to 100F so it probably wouldn't perform that much better than the air to air. Unless I'm missing something.

54 MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:50 pm 

Now that is an EXCELLENT post.
Hard data. No excuses.. However....

this does not take into account dynamic airflow through the intercooler...

airspeed has a negative temp co-efficient so it impacts the cooling capabilities in a positive manner.

This is supported by a chap in a rally scene (car construction) here when I asked the question on cooling efficiency of the water/air and air/air intercoolers.

His reply was water/air is far more efficient at slow speeds but there is a crossover when air/air becomes more efficient at high speeds.

He is real keen to plumb aircon into a water air intercooler instead of water.....

and for those wondering, water/air intercoolers have a closed loop cool water system with its own pump and radiator

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:50 am 

Hey Richard,

Again, congrats on the good info. Thanks for that. I picked up a complete water air system off of a Subaru GT for a measly 40 bucks. Could possibly be one of the best investments made last year by the sounds of it.

Good luck in your ventures

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:20 pm 

Thanks Richard, I thought that the WTA inercolers used water from the radiator discharge for cooling. The seperate system sounds effecive but a bit combersome. If you're taking test requests I'd love to see someone clear up the debate on te effect of valve overlap on performance. I have seen arguments on both sides and have not been studying the issue long enough to have come across any clear direction on cam selection for boosted applications.

54 MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:01 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

90LSI wrote:
If you're taking test requests I'd love to see someone clear up the debate on te effect of valve overlap on performance. I have seen arguments on both sides and have not been studying the issue long enough to have come across any clear direction on cam selection for boosted applications.

Uh oh.

Just wait for suprf1y to show up in this thread... likely he's already been reading this. I seem to remember an intelligent and well-reasoned discourse from him on the subject. The end result being that the same properly designed cam will be just as effective on a normally aspirated or a turbo'd/supercharged engine. IIRC, the influence of the cam is pretty much on where power is created in the range of revs the engine can produce and how much power can be produced in that range. The influence of extra pressure in a forced induction system makes no difference in the design, it just increases the amount of air crammed in each cylinder.

He was much more eloquent than that, though. A bit more explaining was done too. 8)

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:59 pm 

That was well said.
What you first need to consider, is the intended RPM range, and max power output.
Keeping in mind that regardless of how you do it, the pkg has to work well together.
Suffice to say that a stock cam has no place in a high performance motor, and even less in one thats turbo'd.
After all, you spend all that time, and money turboing your car, why restrict it with a stock cam?
Its just like running a restrictor plate.
Anybody that disagrees with me has no idea what they're talking about :-P
Now, back on topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:55 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

suprf1y wrote:
Anybody that disagrees with me has no idea what they're talking about :-P

See. Eloquent! :o