TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:09 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:11 pm 
Island Inbreeder

t3 ragtop wrote:
Knuckles wrote:
I can hear JVS cryin from his garage as I write this.

the sound you're hearing is more likely scott spanking the monkey to the pics of a carbed turbo suzuki engine. :ez_pimp:

' MY Wienner is red..!!
I much intrigue with this but i think it is a dry hole and the likey hood of use getting any more pictures is slim
don't count on it
I have owned myself an 1984 Chevy sprint or early 85 Born on date was 6/84
t3 let me asked you this..?? It is a carbed Turbo motor date unkown..??
at 80 Hp there seem to be no intercooler the heat alone from the turbo i don't see it make that kind of Hp with a IHI turbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:19 am 

Nag , nag , nag . Since you guys can not wait another week or so until the other engine arrives I will dig the engine out of the corner of the shed and unwrap it and get some more pic's of it . Trust me its a carb engine and no there is no intercooler , bugger eh .

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:45 pm 
Suzuki Elder

hey scott,

that big red hat just may be an intercooler of a sort. it's pretty odd that it's as big as it is, usually a carb hat is pretty compact to reduce lag and keep the inlet air velocity up.

physics makes air heat with compression but it also makes air cool with expansion (like why a co2 fire extinguisher is cold when you discharge it.)

i've seen a lot of older turbo systems that didn't have intercoolers. while they aren't as efficient, they still kick the inlet pressure up. my old corvair turbo system didn't have an intercooler that i recall and it added nearly 50 hp to the output.

i really don't recall intercooling or really too much action in the turbo field outside of diesel engines until around 1978. when us makers started catching on to turbocharging, guys like saleen started doing things like building intercoolers into chassis components like engine mounting cross members. i don't really remember a factory intercooler until the ford thunderbird turbo 4 and the grand national turbo v6 models in the mid 80s (but then again, those were cars that, at the time, were only at the fringe of my interest.)

there were exceptions like the avanti which used a belt driven, rotary supercharger and drag cars that adapted roots style superchargers to v8 engines but the very first turbocharged cars other than corvairs that i have much recollection of were the saab trollhatten project 99 models. a young car designer by the name of bjorn envall convinced saab that there was no need to build specialty sports cars when they could take a generic body design and adapt it for different uses and driving styles. the saab model 99 in it's turbo tune was the original pocket rocket in the late 70s.

still, this carbed version of a suzuki turbo is a mighty interesting find. at the very least, it'd be cool to bolt on a carb that you could find a range of jets for (like a holley/ weber off an old pinto) and tune it. i can only imagine what a pinball machine the original electronic carb is. :twisted:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:50 am 

Ok here are a few more pic's of this thing . Its a carb for sure and it looks similar to the pic's earlier in this thread but I did not find any numbers on it . Also is there any way to date the engine from the engine number ?
The other one I am getting is deffinately out of a 1983 car , will see what the engine number of that is when it turns up .

The data plate

Inside the Top cover has a pressure relief valve , must be a back up to the waste gate .

Top Cover

And the Carb

And the fuel pump

Will see whats in the boxes of bits I get next week and hope to piece one together . Would be nice to get it going with the carb but if not it will get a single point injection unit put on it way down the track . i have to finish the buggy I am building and still not sure weather I should turbo or supercharge the 1300 twin cam engine I have , but thats another story .

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:29 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i recognize the relief valve on the hat as being similar (if not the same) as the one found on the tmic from the north american market mk1 turbo sprint.

there's a big temp sender on the manifold that looks like one we got, too.

there's enough electrical wires on that carb to give me the willies! :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:33 pm 
Island Inbreeder

thanks mudsuk for the pictures
the carb like like it could be the first gen of are carbs for the 1984-88 chevy sprint (MR080)
the wires on the top of carb is for the MCS
The "Mixture Control Solenoid" is the the bane to all MK1 Carb car owners...!
This is the little "Doo Hicky" that makes these car get upward of 50-60 mpg
It controls the fuel along with the main jet inside the caburetor
The MCS makes about 20 strokes a second. and is controlled by the ECM

after 20 yrs they wear out -or-
if any one of the input signals that the ECM recieves to complete the curcit (close loop) become faulty
it will NOT send a output signal to the MCS ...
That is the reason alot of are cars went to scrap.............AURGH..!!
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38699
GV&S

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

Last edited by jaguar,vettes&sprints on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:34 pm 
Island Inbreeder

/////

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:51 pm 

Clean it up.
It's a Hitachi carb, all right.
You need parts, we've got 'em.
Your fuel delivery problems are solved, anyways.

The vacuum solenoid looks like the ones for the A/C idle up.

Check the choke pull off to see if it holds a steady 18-20 mm Hg.

Show a few more pictures of the carb, or pm us to figure out what you might need.

Looks like you're almost home.

Compression test?

The cold idle is controlled by the water temp.

You need help figuring it out, and I think we've got your back.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:26 pm 
Suzuki Elder

super help! :D

look under the intake manifold between the #2 and #3 cylinders to confirm the knock sensor is in place. if it's the same as the mk1 and mk2 norte americano models, it will have 2 wires, white and black.

the knock control type ignition is bound to be the same as or similar to the mpfi mk1 g10t controls. that might get you a long way on the ignition side.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject: G10 CARB Turbo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:55 am 

Hi!

Just stumbled apon this thread while I was looking for information on my new engine.
After a few seconds of reading the O.P I realized this IS my engine!

That's right, I'm the proud new owner of this monstrosity. I picked it up from Mudzuk a few weeks ago and haven't had time to clean it up or tinker with it just yet. I've just been trying to source plenty of info about the engine before I go ripping into it.
So as I understand there were a JDM only engine that was relatively short lived, since they introduced the 3cyl turbo EFI G10 not long after launching the Carb turbo.

I'm hoping most of the wiring colours and ecu codes might be the same for the EFI mk1's but they probably won't be much help! I'm hoping to find a japanese workshop manual for it, since japanese katakana is pretty straightforward to translate (although time consuming.)

Anyway the long term goal for this engine is to somehow be transplanted into this:

it's a 1983 Suzuki SS80, which is the export version of the JDM Fronte SS40, that eventually got renamed Alto. It's got a F8B 3 cyl 796cc engine - which is pretty good considering the japanese version had the 543cc F5A engine.

So the two engines don't share any mounting points, So it's gonna be a bit of an undertaking and I'll be taking things slow.
The main issue now is getting the wiring sorted/identified, and working out if the carb is ok and what all the vacuum pipes do.

Photos to follow!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:48 am 

Some more photos of the carb:

and the turbo:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:49 am 
Teamswift Racer

Congrats, I had this on my watchlist again even though I didn't have a use for it, shame Mudzuk didn't finish his project. Good luck with the alto, I would be careful having too much power in that, you might roll over :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 am 

Usually, the standard MK1 G10 carb is an Aisin, not a Hitachi...except in the USA.
We have lots of Hitachis, and all the parts, except your secondary diaphragm.
Check and see what carburetor you have in NZ, maybe take a picture of one on a regular 1.0 and I'll let you know if you can take parts.
The biggie is the MCS. I sell those for $130 each.
Your BVS, MCS, and FCS have separate connectors. Ours have one 6 prong 'weather pak' connector.
For reference, this is what it looks like inside. One difference is the single vs. double fuel inlet visible under the float. Our cars have a gas line which runs back from the carburetor to the gas tank, so gas is constantly circulating once the float has filled the carb. Again, for reference: new MCS is above float, rebuilt accelerator pump is to right of float.
This carburetor is about to be put back together.
You need to read the 'DIY' carb rebuild thread so you can adjust the float level correctly.
The sight glass in the center of the picture should be 1/2 full of gas at all times.
Also, you have two 'microswitches'. One WOT and one idle. You can read all about them in the English carb manual here:
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r211 ... l/?start=0
If you want, you can print out the pages and make your own manual; there aren't a lot of cars outside the USA with all that information.
I'll have to see inside your engine compartment to tell if you have temperature and altitude compensators.
Suzuki made a pretty decent car back then, and it adjusts the fuel with a lot of different inputs...
Here's one of the photos from the DIY float adjustment thread.
It's a LOT easier to adjust the fuel level on the bench.
If your microswitches are giving you a headache, they might be a tad worn.
I've used a dremel to take off a LITTLE bit of metal here so that the switches worked again.

You've got plenty of support to get that engine running reliably, smoothly, and efficiently.
Remember this order in the carb:
1.) check the fuel in the sight glass; fuel level is most common problem
2.) eliminate all vacuum leaks and double check all solenoids; MCS is second most common problem.

Check the ECM under the dash. Is this an automatic or standard transmission?

Hope this helps.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:50 am 

A res erection, should be sweet all cleaned up. Did someone mention a 2/3L engine?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:12 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the 660cc 3 cylinder turbo engine was a favorite in kei cars and trucks.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:17 pm 
Island Inbreeder

This is very cool good luck with your Turbo/Carb G10 setup project "shaved yak" there's alot of good peeps here on Teamswift that will try to help if you need it
.....But if this project get to be like a neglected sherpa ..
I would like to purchase this project & give it a go
I know it would be alot of $$ to ship to the states and I'm ok with that

Please E-mail me at prplmnkydshwshr@clearwire.net Thanks ...Scott
Yakman wrote:
(Sherpa teenagers wear blue jeans and paraphernalia from American sports team :wink:

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:16 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:

660cc is the maximum displacement allowed to be a kei car.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:27 pm 
Suzuki Elder

turbohull wrote:
t3 ragtop wrote:

660cc is the maximum displacement allowed to be a kei car.

that's probably why it was a favorite. :wink:

in 1972, my subaru kei car had a 580cc carbed engine and a single lug nut on each wheel. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:32 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
in 1972, my subaru kei car had a 580cc carbed engine and a single lug nut on each wheel. :D

Well, thats one thing that car and the ENZO have in common......The only thing!!

http://www.UNTAMND.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:17 pm 

Is the circle Union, the boost reference to increase the fuel pressure?

Attachments:
fuelpump.jpg
fuelpump.jpg [ 62.07 KIB | Viewed 2892 times ]