TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 pm 
Island Inbreeder

please school use what other "Turbo site" are you visiting that they give you that kind of wisdom..??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:07 pm 
Sad but True...

just various meth injection sites, usually on higher performing cars. just google pre turbo meth injection

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showth ... -pre-turbo

one example anyways. I dont mean to hijack the thread, but my post-turbo pre-TB 3gph nozzle on my ca18det made a dramatic difference. turns 94 octane into something like 110 with the cooling effects of alcohol vapor. either way, my fuel pump would run lean at 14psi (~13.5) and with no safc fueling changes im 11.2 all the way to redline at the same boost, maf reads 96% so im pretty topped out. for me its more of a bandaid horsepower fix, but something to think about anyways. the pre-turbo is intriguing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:49 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i ordered my exhaust parts and floor insulation last thursday and both were on my porch when i got home from work today. lizzie's car's battery died a sudden death last night from the insufferable heat so that took the first slot in my schedule. then i kicked it a little on my project.

i finished the fabrication and welding on the floor, a job that was an excursion from my actual project work. it just goes that way some times and although it put me back a couple of weeks, the work was needed and ol' blue was cooperative. here's some close up shots of the end results. it takes a good eye to tell it was even fixed.

since there won't be any more welding heat on the pan, i was hot to see how the fatmat floor insulation would go. phil n' ed told me that it would be theraputic, i think that was doctor speak for "feeding the obsession." :-P

i ordered 25 square feet. it came in 5 sheets. 2 sheets did both driver's and passenger's side footwells and the space under the seats. 1 more sheet will do the inner rockers and the rest of the floor behind the seats. i think that 25 square feet would just about do a 3 door's floor.

here's the magic of 2 weeks and the motivation to keep your car on the road.
from this:

to this.

to this:

tomorrow i have to run an errand after work but i hope to get enough time in to finish the floor insulation and get the carpet back in. that way i won't have to lay on hot steel to finish the wiring on the inside of the car. my exhaust parts are in so i can jump on fabricating the 3rd and final section of the piping, too. i have just enough shield gas left in my mig welder to get that done.

onward and upward.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 pm 

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
You just cut, peel and stick it?
Nice shiny aluminum faced backing, too.
That car will NEVER rust.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it rained a duck drowning, toad strangling downpour this evening which really cramped my plans for working on the car. after it quit raining i only got about an hour in on the floor which got the inner rockers and the last section of the passenger's floor covered. i finished up in the dark. i'll continue with that task, weather permitting, to get the last section behind the driver's seat, the tunnel (because it has that honking 2 1/2" pipe giving up heat right under it,) and the rear ledge into the trunk pass through. i have maybe another 2 hours to go to get the insulation cut and pressed in and have the carpet back in the car.

record heat is spawning early evening thunderstorms. that really gets in the way of rolling around under the car and any outside welding. i may get delayed with finishing the exhaust. i was hoping to get it done on saturday but the noaa is forecasting a 60% chance of rain for friday, saturday, and sunday. sunday is out anyway because i have a family reunion 4 hours away.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the wife informed me that i was confused, the reunion is tomorrow, saturday, so my best day for working will be sunday and the weather report calls for a 60% chance of rain. :cry:

i got the carpeting beck in the car. i had to use the old carpet as i'm out of funds for a new one and i'm anxious to move on so i can get the car running. my next tasks are to finish the exhaust and the wiring so i can install the new optima red top battery and start with the instrumentation calibrations and the megasquirt check list.

i also have a new 180* thermostat i want to install before i bolt the intercooler back on. i had it off to do the megasquirt harness wiring.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:02 pm 

OK got to know what's the big red cable going to the back?
first thought was rear battery, but theres space up front.
or is it to power a sub for tunes, give a stupid hillbilly a clue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:17 am 
Suzuki Elder

i have a red 4 gauge cable on the driver's side that runs to the trunk pass-through for 2 1200 watt hart professional sub amps. since the car got stolen and i was relieved of about $6000 of competition stereo, i've just run 1 sub amp.

i also have a blue 8 gauge cable that runs down the center of the car for another 4 channel 600 watt amp that powers the four kove 4" component speaker sets mounted in the factory stock locations in the dash and rear cowl. there's also a fused 16 gauge red power wire and an 18 gauge blue wire from the head unit to the amps' remote signal running down the center hump. all the coax signal wires and the front speaker wires run down the passenger's side.

with the netbook pulling duty as the megasquirt supervisory computer, gps, digital terrestrial tv, and mp3 jukebox along with the am/fm/cd head unit, the car is just jam packed with electronics. a chrome plated 105 amp single wire alternator is in my future. :D

i'm hoping to have good weather on sunday so i can make some progress.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:02 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it was a short weekend for me and it rained today which kept the welder in the garage. i did get a bunch of small tasks and a lot of tidying up on the inside of the car. here's a shot of the wiring in the engine bay. even in split tubing, the wiring is busier than the stock turbo3.

i needed a place for the knocksense unit that would let me get the box out to tweak the potentiometer to calibrate the instrument. i left a lot of cabling on it. after i'm satisfied with the tuning, i'll shorten the wires up. the led that winks when knock is detected is ultra bright. i mounted it in the console door, out of my line of vision but very visible in the periphery of my vision.

here's a shot of the dash controls and interior. i've mounted the laptop support to a seat mounting bolt on the passenger's side. it's no surprise that everything is in view and within reach with the small cockpit. i can reach the radio controls, netbook, and the buttons on all the gauges from the driver's seat.

the gps transponder was a natural fit on the bolt access panel in the middle of the dash. i only had to file a small notch in the piece for the usb cable.

as soon as i get dry weather i'll finish that exhaust system. slow progress but progress none the less.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:40 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i got another couple hours in this evening. lizzie brought 3 chinese teenagers home for dinner. they're here for an english immersion program. she was going to take them swimming but once they found netflix and a 42" flat screen, that was out. :lol:

i ran the wiring for the terrestrial digital tv and ran the checkout with the little netbook.

i also hooked up the megasquirt controller. i left it loose on the floor as i will have to open it up to tweak a couple of potentiometers to peak the v/r signal. after i have everything dialed in the case will go up under the dash to the right of the console.

i bolted the old civic seat back in. new seats will be in next spring's budget with new silver carpet and a dark blue german brushed sailcloth top.

i also did a little bit under the hood. i changed the thermostat to a good european 180* unit with a "tickler" on it and put the intercooler and charge air pipe back on which covers up a lot of wiring.

tomorrow, i'll either work on the last section of the exhaust or drop the battery in and start doing electrical checks depending on what the skies look like. i may have to let the welding go until the weekend as it may take longer than i have time for in an evening.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:01 pm 

I hope you have good luck with your computer stand. Two things the ones we use at work are made for cop cars and the are a problem to read on anything but glass roads. And two don't look at it to much while driving, people tend to hit things when they do. It is really looking good and it looks like you will be beating my build time :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:03 am 
Suzuki Elder

the primary function of the netbook is as a supervisory computer for the megasquirt. secondary functions are mp3 jukebox, gps display, and dtv (which only works if the vehicle isn't moving.)

at the most i might tap a key to start data logging or autotune or point and click on a music file while the car is in operation.

i'm fighting burn out. i'm also fighting the urge to skip steps in my plan to get finished. i was at a point where there was so much to do that i could jump from one task to the next, generally leaving the most dreaded jobs until last. now i'm at a point where there are just certain things to do, and in a certain order.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:20 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i played hard tonight. i had a bunch of items on my check list.

first i dialed in my gps system. it works great.

i bolted the seats in with stainless hardware.

i bolted the battery in and did some voltage checks.

i still want to get the digital terrestrial tv antenna location fine tuned.

after replacing the master cylinder assembly the brake lights were on all the time so i had to adjust the switch on the pedal assembly. the headlights are really bright and all the leds work great. i need to work on the turn signals as they won't flash.

i calibrated all the gauges. the innovate mtx was super easy. turn power on without the o2 sensor connected so the gauge displays E2 and power down. plug in the o2 sensor and turn on the power. the display says Htr for 60 seconds as the heater calibrates. the the display reads caL as the o2 sensor calibrates in open air. the display reads 22.4. then i powered down, unplugged the o2 sensor and installed it in the bung. done!

as the fuel pump ran it's prime cycle, i got a little drip from the fuel rail so i tightened things up to stop the leak. the oil temperature gauge read 84* which was the ambient temperature, oil pressure scrolled "low." battery voltage read 11.9 volts and matched my precision multimeter's reading.

i calibrated the tps with the megasquirt, checked the coolant temp and intake air temp - both read the ambient 84*, i also checked the map against the barometric pressure just to make sure things were working right.

here's the engine bay as it will appear. i still need to mount the upper strut bar but it clears everything just fine.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:22 am 

how many SPDT relays in total ?

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:07 am 

Richard, on the Glass-Headlights, I found that if you take some wide black electirc type tape, and lay in on top of the healights where it meets the hood, it will stop the halo effect under the front part of the hood. You could just take some black paint and cover the area too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:36 pm 
Suzuki Elder

bullet, i added a total of 8 30/40 amp relays and circuits - hi, lo, and fog. i/c hx fan, i/c hx circ pump. injection, ignition, and instrumentation.

metro-mike, thanks again for the headlights. i'll get some black vinyl from the local sign shop and cut appropriate strips for the edges of the lenses. i'm also picking up a sheet of clear vinyl to cover the faces of the headlights and fog lights to keep them from catching rock chips.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:54 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i got oil in the engine. it held 5 quarts. i rolled the starter - bathump, bathump, bathump - the compression is a beast! after a couple of minutes of intermittant cranking the oil pressure idiot light went out and the oil pressure gauge displayed 32 psi at starter speed.

she's tight. :D

there's a whole bunch of little things to look at all over again. i checked the run out on my trigger wheel and set the gap as tight as i could get it. i got excited and didn't hook up the netbook so i could run the tooth analyzer. it was getting dark out and i had a bunch of tools laying out on my outside work bench. i finished up by connecting the charger to the battery. i ran the battery down fooling with lights, gauges, the megasquirt and computer, and cranking the engine until it made oil pressure.

man! am i psyched! if i had the time i'd press right on and try to start the engine. it's really hard to stay on my check list but i spent a lot of time trying to do things right and i don't want to screw the pooch by missing something important.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:13 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Can't wait........... your Show car ("Ol Blue") Daily driver (ya right)
your hard work is over the top and very cool I will be stealing some ideas you posted...
But the whole "Mega squirt" rout is way above my pay grade..... to that I say more power to ya and keep on keep'n on
and can't wait for the first YouTube Video of the "Work in project" getr fired up .....jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:52 pm 

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:19 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i was so thoroughly disgusted after working on the car last night that i couldn't even make a post about it.

first, i went out to find an 8" diameter oil spot on the asphalt drive. damned oil seep from the bottom end of the engine! i tightened up the screws on the oil pan.

then i got out a couple bottles of syncromesh to fill the transmission. lihtan's "miracle hole" is covered by my ignition component shelf so i had to use my "inverted bottle" fill technique from the bottom of the car. i'll be damned if suzuki (or chevy) didn't make a production change on there transmission cases so that the great big fill plug on the early 90s production has been replaced with a smaller pipe plug on the late model cases. in trying to get the pointy end of the bottle into the hole, i sent a nice "glug" of syncromesh down my right arm.

now i'm here to tell you that when it's 94 degrees out with high humidity and you're rolling around on black asphalt that has been in direct sunlight for about 8 hours, syncromesh gear oil flows out on your skin like tropic tan tanning oil. =) sweat has to fight it's way through the oil to get out your pores. i felt like bacon in a hot skillet until i finally went in the house and scrubbed up with dish soap and hot water.

i went back out and filled my i/c heat exchanger and radiator with clear water so i could check for leaks (and on the off chance that i'd get to a point where i could attempt to start the engine. i replaced the fuse for the i/c hx circ. pump to test it and to purge air from the intercooler's core. the damned remote radiator fill point on the firewall started dripping from the fittings' threads. :cry:

i let the pump run so that it'd clear the air out of the system and went on to run some tests from my checklist on the megasquirt. i tried to run the tuner studion software application to check my waveshape and verify the base setting on my timing. i couldn't see a damned thing with the analyzer. i tried to bump the v/r sensor closer to the trigger wheel (back down on the smoking hot asphalt, the bacon is starting to bubble on the edge fat!) still couldn't get any discernible signal - damn!

it got too dark to see under the car to make any more adjustments. ahh! the perfect time to check my headlight beam pattern on the garage door. i punched the headlight button and.........no headlights! :huh: i flicked it from low beams to high beams and the headlights popped on. back to low and nada. i flicked the dimmer switch and the high beams came on and stayed on. :huh: :huh:

i remembered reading that lihtan had experienced that and corrected the problem by adding a diode to one relay. i had a diode in my wiring can so i cut a low beam relay coil wire and clipped a 1n4001 diode in with alligator clip test leads. that didn't work. i reversed the diode's polarity, that didn't work. i used another jumper to patch that wire back together and cut a wire to the high beam's relay and jumpered in the diode. that'didn't work! damn, only one more shot. i reversed the diode's polarity and that worked. :wink: i didn't get the low beam operation back but the high beams didn't hang up any more. since i had the wire's bared i probed them with my multimeter. i got 12 volts on the high beam relay from the car's factory headlight connector and 0.29 volts across the low beam's relay. wtf!

it was too dark to see by then so i hooked up my gel cell whiz bang electronic battery charger to recharge the battery after running the circ pump, cranking the engine, and playing with headlights which had taken the new optima battery under 11 volts. i cleared my outside work table off and put everything away. then i went in the house, yelled at my wife and kicked my little dog! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i took my hard copy megasquirt manual and a flash drive with my assembly pics to work with me and read at my lunch and breaks. i'm pretty sure that even though i tried to be extremely careful with my controller assembly, i overlooked 2 things. the standard ms assembly instructions have you install 2 diodes at the input for the ignition trigger. the ms2extra instructions tell you to jumper d1 across with a piece of a resistor lead to remove the diode from the circuit. then, depending on your system, you can use it like that or clip it to put the diode back into play. i think my setup needs to see the diode jumpered out. i also found that i overlooked another jumper wire from a +12 volts board supply to pad js9 on the i/c socket which powers the ms2 daughterboard.

i'm pretty sure that recitfying those issues will get me back on track. it's raining right now so it will be a good evening for bringing the controller inside to get it on the bench for a little re-work. also, it never even came to mind that i should check the headlight fuses in ton the inside fuse panel! :dunno: i'm betting the fuse for the low beams is cleared (but why?)

i think the dog has forgiven me. the wife? not so much. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:38 pm 

Been there done that. You become so focused on the big things you forget about the little stuff. It still sounds like your coming right along. Looks great, it would be nice to receive a little cooler and less humid weather. You seem to receive much more rain than we have. Got two days of rain and needed it, lawn was burning up. Hope to get back on my car soon. All the best, with your history debugging should go just fine. Stick to your list. Buy some flowers for the wife, dogs on the other hand love ya no matter what. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:17 pm 
Suzuki Elder

man! i've been having a run of bad luck!

last night i had a bolt of lightening strike in the back yard and it took out my usb tv tuner i've been using since my hi-def tuner went tits up. it also wasted the power supply for my hp printer and took out the voip section of my cable modem.

i've been battling an oil leak, more of a seep, on the oil pan of the project car. today i climbed under there and cleaned the oil pan really well and watched for 30 minutes until i saw about a 1/2" of a little trail of amber about 2/3rds of the way up the front of the pan. it looked like a little black speck in the powder coating but sure as hell, it's a pin hole. i drained 3 1/2 quarts of the 5 i poured in the other day and found a really nice oil pan in the garage to use as a replacement. i'll try to get out there first thing in morning before the sun heats up the asphalt.

i got the welder out and was going to finish the exhaust. doh! the boyz sent me a damned 2 1/2" mandrel 180 bend in aluminum instead of the 409 stainless i ordered. i checked my order and the invoice. i ordered the right thing, they listed it as stainless, but it's aluminum. that puts me behind another week! :roll:

i managed to dope out the turn signal problem. typical signal flashers are built to take 12vdc, switch it off and on, and send it to the lights. suzuki seems to like to switch grounds on and off. i had to make some 6" long jumper wires with male and female spade connectors on the ends to mount the flasher remotely and flip the positive and negative terminals. also, it seems that even the solid state flashers have a minimum circuit resistance that will work. i swapped the led lamps in the front turn signals to incandescent lamps and that made the total circuit resistance acceptable to the flasher and it runs at the normal rate instead of "ludacris" speed.

it appears that my combination switch has bad contacts for the headlights. anybody got a 91 vert combo switch?

fedex delivered my thermal sleeving for my intercooler hoses to the idiot next door today. late in the afternoon i found them box laying in my side yard where he had tossed it in the grass. that'll give me something to do tomorrow - drain the water out of the system and thread the 3/4" hoses through the thermal sleeves. they're good for 2000* and reflect 80% of the heat away from the hose.

on a positive note, after the re-work on the megasquirt controller, i'm getting a signal from the v/r sensor on my crank trigger wheel. yay! :cheers:

one step forward, two steps back. :blackeye:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:35 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
one step forward, two steps back. :blackeye:

im in the same boat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:21 pm 

Confess, t3ragtop.

You finally got it running, eh?

How come you didn't let us all in on the preview? You KNOW we've been all asking for a video!

(Gee, when did Teamswift allow you to click on images...)

Say, when did you sneak that extra cylinder into the engine?

:WTF:

8)

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:21 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i'm in to cool down. it's 90* out there and even the wrenches are as hot as coals.

i'm not a video guy and you damned well know it! :lol: everybody is always yappin' about me posting videos and i have a full plate doing the work and stopping every whip stitch to take a still photo for you guys.

man, i'm in unknown waters with the ms2extra. i'm getting there but the learning curve is a bitch. that, and now the car seems to be fighting me. i nearly destroyed the seeping oil pan to get it off. i think it would have been fine with all of the bolts out of it. i had to pry it up and slice through the blue silicone with a razor. i got it replaced and almost everything bolted back on.

while i was under the car i shot the frame horns and front frame rails full of that special phenolic resin/ zinc phosphate rust proofing until pea green juice was dripping out every seam. that gave me a good idea of how and why those points rust to hell and gone. if water and road salt blow off the front wheels, it shoots right into those open seams and floods the frame. i'm going to seal those seams along the pinch welds, too.

there are holes in the frame rail channels and one in the front of the frame horn for those push button clips that hold the plastic splash guards in place so i didn't even have to drill any holes to get the application tube in there. one 13.5 ounce spray can did both sides, 2 heavy coats that puddled in the frame horns where the control arms bolt up. i'm going to make that an annual treatment from now on. i had about a 1/4 of a can left over from the rocker tunnel treatment that i shot into the channels at the rear jacking points, too.

now that i've cooled down, i'm heading back out to see what kind of headway i can make with the megasquirt check list.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next