TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:28 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:46 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i got another 3 hours in this evening before it got dark. i worked on the front exhaust section which will probably be the hardest part to fit.

i tweaked all the cuts and angles to get the shot i wanted so the pipe would have clearance over the 4 point tie bar, clearance between the sway bar and floor pan, and line up for the shot down the center tunnel tucked up nicely without interfering with the shifter or any chance of banging on the floor.

the catalytic converter is located just below the factory exhaust hanger and the o2 sensor bung located just at the bottom of the firewall. i got some 409 stainless 3/8" round stock with bent hooks on one end and i'll add one there to keep the load off the front pipe. i'll add one in the center of the tunnel at that factory hanger, too.

i had to make a couple of tight twists right off the turbo outlet pipe to pull the pipe over and raise it a little to get the straight shot through the sway bar.

i opted for stainless steel v-band joints and clamps for the exhaust so i could remove the system pretty easily. every other exhaust i've installed on a metro i ended up having to cut when i had to remove it. i figured that i'd just use the v-band system instead of my sawzall. :-P the joints added $90 to the cost, but if i ever want to pull it off this car and install it on another chassis i'll be ahead of the game.

next, i'll start running the 2.5" pipe. that looks like it will be pretty easy with a straigh shot down the center tunnel, not quite a 90 degree mandrel bend, another short straight shot towards the right side, and another bend that's not quite 90 degrees terminated with another v-band joint.

after that, i'll hang the muffler and work the angles to get over the right side rear suspension.

onward and upward.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:37 am 

hey, is that a chrome-plated cover on the lower transaxle ? madness ! :shock:
are you going to use header wrap ? i want somebody to try wrapping the entire length of the exhaust

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:17 am 
Suzuki Elder

409 alloy stainless steel has very poor emissivity so it doesn't transfer heat out of the pipe like mild steel. in essence, it keeps the exhaust heat and it's attendant energy in the pipe to help move the exhaust gas. it doesn't require a wrap.

my basic design keeps the gas velocity up in the front pipe by containing it in the 2" pipe for a distance. then it lets the gas expand into the 2 1/2" pipe which drops the gas velocity as it cools a bit. then at the end of the system the exhaust gas expands again into the 5" body of the muffler, slowing the gas velocity and cooling it even more. by the time the gas leaves the 4" outlet tip and expands into the atmosphere, the velocity should be down quite a bit and the exhaust note ought to be a deep rumble.

at 6500 rpm, there should be very little restriction in the system. so little, in fact, that if the turbo wasn't increasing engine produced torque i might have to introduce some restriction by using a smaller diameter outlet pipe or baffle.

the straight part of the front pipe will get a section chopped out and replaced with a 2" x 6" long stainless flex pipe as soon as it gets here. i revised my original plan for the system so i have a 2 1/2" stainless high flow catalytic converter and a 2 1/2" stainless flex pipe listed in my sale thread.

and yeah, the flywheel ring gear inspection cover is chrome plated and attached using stainless steel allen head cap screws. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:28 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i took lizzie and fiona to the city fireworks display last night. there were about a million people in the downtown area of the city for the 4th of july red, white, and boom! event. getting out of the city with that crush of traffic was murder.

i got up this morning at 6am with the intention of hopping right out to get some welding done while it was cooler. the problem? it was raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock. :cry:

i fell back to my secondary plan which was driving a bit over an hour to meet chad's4door (chad) to pick up a set of turbine tech upper strut tower braces. jard quit making those but i am a huge fan of his parts and i was hell bent on finding a set for ol' blue.

i have a secret engineering tweak i wanted to execute which required his front strut brace, something you're going to have to wait to see. :wink:

that will free up the hot bits braces i've run on the vert for the last 2 seasons. the mounting flanges and bolts on the hot bits parts have been chrome plated and look great, but the next time you see those they will be in my sale thread along with the other custom parts i'm turning loose.

if i get a window in the weather i'll jump outside and continue with my welding tasks. i have the next 3 days off work and i hope to get the floor pan replaced and the intermediate pipe on the exhaust finished and fitted.

once again, the project money is depleted and i'll have to get a couple of parts buyers before i can order parts to press on. i have enough stuff to allow another week or 2 of work but after that i'll need to throw several hundred bucks at the car.

onward and upward.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:25 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i got more cooperation from the weather this afternoon and got quite a bit done on the exhaust. i started out by replacing the nuts and bolts on the front lower brace. it's impossible to find large diameter fine thread stainless metric stuff so i ended up using stainless washers and zinc plated nuts and bolts liberally smeared with never seize.

then i jumped into the 2 1/2" pipe fabrication. here's the easiest part, the straight shot down the tunnel in the floor pan. the hardest part there was getting the right bend on the stainless round stock i used for the hanger. you can see the new upper strut tower braces on the bench.

i'm using mandrel bends cut out of a 180 degree/ 45 degree question mark looking bit of 2 1/2" 409 stainless alloy tube. i measure the angles with a machinist's protractor, mark the tubing with a fat sharpie pen, wrap the tube with masking tape so that the cut will be square, and cut it with my sawzall following the straight edge of the tape. then i use a file to scrape the inside diameter free of burrs and use my 4" electric grinder to clean up the cut edges and bevel the outside edge to make a nice root weld. the next section is a turn that's not quite 90 degrees. actually, it's 73 degrees to get it to line up with the tunnel that runs from the center of the pan in front of the gas tank towards the right side of the car.

next i cut the second bend, also a 73 degree elbow, and a straight piece that ended up being 8 1/2" long to get the pipe lined up for the shot back over the right rear suspension to the muffler.

the tunnel get's really tight back here and precision really counts with a 2 1/2" pipe. if you get off either side to side or up and down and the exhaust will rattle off of something and drive you nuts. the intermediate pipe is done and it will get another v-band joint at the end of this turn. that will let me install and remove the rear section independently so i can do it on my jack stands. if i welded everything on back from this point, the exhaust wouldn't come off without sawing the pipe.

this has been pretty tough on an old guy. :-P the car is on jack stands so it's only about a foot off the ground. all the getting up and down, setting the pipe in place to make measurements and then pulling it back off for welding on the bench had me feeling like a jack in the box! =) i finished up the last 2 welds in the dark (so they probably aren't my prettiest beads) and the last pics were just sort of point and shoot because i couldn't see a darned thing until the flash went off.

if i worked at an exhaust shop, they would have fired me yesterday. :razz: i'm not very good but i sure am slow. :lol:

tomorrow i'll start on the floor pan repairs if it doesn't rain.

onward and upward.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:39 am 

I got your point of being slow, would get you fired at a muffler shop. But have you seen some of their welding skills?? or lack there of? I'll take slow and good welds thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 pm 
Suzuki Elder

another 8 hours in on the car and i made a lot of progress again.

the carnage.

the hole.

the patch.

the hole patched.

floor is repaired.

tomorrow i'll hit the floor pan with a wire brush, clean it up with some solvent, vacuum up all the crumbs, and give it 2 coats of por15. i have some cans of pressurized zinc rich epoxy rust proofing with 30" tubes with special spray nozzles on the end made so you can shove the hose into blind cavities and draw them out while shooting the spray. the zinc fights rust while the epoxy stabilizes and seals any rust that's already there. i'll do the rockers and frame rails with that stuff while i'm waiting for the first coat of por15 to cure. then i'll find something else to do until i get cash together for the damplifier phil n ed has been hooting about and a new carpet.

tuesday i'll be back on the exhaust getting the muffler hangers welded onto the the fart cannon, ready to slice up some pipe to make that final shot over the rear suspension.

i must have you guys' eyes glazed over with all these pics. :lol: i'm not even getting any comments from the gallery these days. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:49 pm 

Would you disturb Michaelanglo while HE was working on the Sistene Chapel ? :wink:
We're just glad you don't charge admission to see art in progress 8)

Attachments:
metro sistene a.jpg [49.48 KIB]
Downloaded 881 times

Last edited by hillbilly 993 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:06 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i feel like i'm having all the fun! :D

the least i can do is to entertain you. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:48 pm 

hillbilly 993 wrote:
Would you disturb Michaelanglo while HE was working on the Sistene Chapel ? :wink:
We're just glad you don't charge admission to see art in progress 8)

:goodpost:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:03 am 

Looks great. They make dust pans you know, you didn't need to cut a hole in the floor. :P Oh ya you already had one. Looks similar to what needs to be done on my turbo. Thanks for keeping us posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:48 pm 

The "gallery" is in AWE....

as in...... "Awwwww...... when is the next update?"

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:58 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it was a light day today. 2 good coats of por15 and some brush on seam sealer on the entire floor has the pan rock hard and watertight as a frog's butt. :wink:

tomorrow (i took another vacation day to coincide with the 3 day holiday weekend) i'll get back to the wiring. i haven't made up my mind whether i'll work on the instrument gauge wiring or the megasquirt harness. i'm leaning towards doing the gauges, knocksense, boost controller, and wideband controller stuff. that will actually be a harder task then the megasquirt wiring.

onward and upward,

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:12 pm 

Since you did such a great job, you can do mine????!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:17 pm 
Suzuki Elder

why should i have all the fun? =)

i put in a straight up 9 hours in the brutal sun laying in all the wiring for the 6 gauges and the boost controller. the innovate mtx wideband o2 controller/ display had the big cable that plugs in and 5 wires to connect - +12vdc, ground, dimmer, analog 1 & 2. the cyberdyne vacuum/boost gauge had +12vdc, ground, dimmer, a little cable with a 4 pin connector for the pressure transducer, 2 wires for a little piezo alarm, and 2 wires for the push switch used to play back memory of the high and low points. the cyberdyne fuel pressure gauge had +12vdc, ground, dimmer, signal, and the 2 wires for the memory playback button. the cyberdyne oil pressure and oil temperature gauges had +12vdc, ground, dimmer, signal, and 2 wires for the memory button on each one. the boost controller was all cabled with 3 separate connectors that just snapped together. i only had to give it +12vdc and ground. i ran the simple wiring for the cyberdyne battery voltage gauge, 3 wires, +12vdc, ground, and dimmer but i didn't connect that gauge as i still have some prep work on the dash to mount the vdo pod for that. figure that each wire is terminated at 2 ends. add all those up and the time to measure, cut, strip, solder, and heat shrink each wire plus the time to pull them from the engine bay and fish them up through the dash comes out to 9 hours!

the common point voltage supply for all the instrumentation comes from a 30 amp relay on the firewall that switches power on when the key is in the run position. keep in mind that the circuit provides power for the o2 sensor heater, that's why i ran the heavy 14 gauge common supply and ground wires for instrumentation. the common point ground runs out to the shelf i built for the ignition system. that's the common grounding point where the whole system derives it's ground to keep ground loops from appearing in the electrical system. that ground point runs to the battery anode on an 8 gauge cable.

now i don't have any option other than doing the megasquirt wiring. =) i'm looking at another long day for that but i'm that much closer to turning the key. :D

onward and upward.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 am 

Sounds good. My job at GM , has to do with lots of wiring. Many times without the best directions. Did the gauges come with good directions? With the engine going in mine 2 gauges will do for now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:49 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i ran my stocker turbo3 for 3 seasons with just a cyberdyne digital vacuum/ boost gauge and a narrow band afr gauge. it wasn't in any danger of coming unglued, though, at 7.5 pounds of boost.

i really felt the need to do a better job of monitoring this rig. fuel pressure is an important aspect and i'll be able to tell if i'm pressing my luck with the stock fuel rail. oil pressure and temperature seemed fairly important, too. i needed the wideband o2 controller more for it's output for the megasquirt, the display just happened to be included. boost pressure indication is absolutely needed and with all the electrical components the battery voltage is important. if the voltage drops, injection and ignition controls become unstable.

here's a pic of the gauge package and dash. the little golden knob on the afr gauge is the boost adjustment, the red missile launcher switch switches the knob adjustment on and off. off, the turbo wastegate runs it's preset 7 psi. i'll see how much pressure i can dial up after i get some tuning done.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:34 pm 

Space shuttle has nothing on you. Your going to need a video camera behind you to monitor everthing. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:54 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it's funny that you should mention the space shuttle. they launched the last one yesterday. my first job after i got out of the navy was working at an r&d laboratory and one of my first projects was testing the heat tiles for nasa. i was at the first shuttle launch. later i worked on a project for rocketdyne testing the solid fuel they used in the booster engines. i was a little nostalgic seeing the program come to an end after 30 years.

man! is it hot out! i tried to get an early start to beat the heat and jumped right into welding to finish up the front exhaust pipe. i added the flex pipe and front hanger, cleaned up the welds, and doped the beads up with a special zinc paint so the pipe looks pretty. i also welded hangers on my big ass polished stainless steel muffler and painted those welds.

here's proof i have been at it. :wink:

after it cools off a little, i'll get back on the wiring.

onward and upward. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:32 pm 

Richard, Is that an exhaust syatem or a RAMjet?

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:06 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i've been busy on the project - all over the place jumping from one task to the next.

here's the micro-pore sock on the air filter. it passes air but not water.

i've been at the wiring pretty steadily. i have the megasquirt wiring and connectors finished but not tucked into looms.

the vr sensor got a shielded cable.

i have lots to do on the inside of the car to finish the wiring. like i seem to do, i put off the unpleasant tasks until last. :-P

yesterday i picked up some steel i had bent at a fabrication shop. i wanted some pretty heavy gauge steel and it's not possible for me to accurately bend that in my garage. i had the guy bend a 90 on a piece of 12 gauge for the corner at the bottom of the door post as that's the main structural point. i also had him bend up some channel caps out of 14 gauge for the bottom channels under the rocker panels. i want to do both sides while i have the car up in the air.

welding.

after i got everything welded in, i used por15 to seal the steel and welds. after that cured i used a seam sealer to coat anything that might get hit with rocks. after everything cures, i'll spray it with rubberized undercoating.

after i got everything sealed up, i sprayed the rockers and channels on the inside with a zinc rich rustproofing. everything should be stabilized, encapsulated, and sealed. tomorrow i'll do the passenger side rocker with a bottom channel cap like this one and seal it up, too.

onward and upward.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:24 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
i've been busy on the project - all over the place jumping from one task to the next.

here's the micro-pore sock on the air filter. it passes air but not water.

someone here told me that having your air filter suck in some water mist is actually beneficial as it helps clean the upper cylinder head due to the water evaporation ??

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:03 am 
Suzuki Elder

which may be true on a normally aspirated engine. water droplets smashing into turbine blades spinning at 25,000 rpm - not so much. :twisted:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i knocked out the passenger's side floor repairs, capping the bottom rocker channel and sealing everything up. i sprayed a can of the zinc rustproofing into the racker cavity so now the whole floor is solid and rustproofed.

i gave the carpet a super vacuuming and cleaned up the floor mats so those will be ready to put back in after i cover the floor with fatmat sound and heat insulation. that should be here this week. i also have the parts to finish the rear section of the exhaust on the way. i have just enough shield gas to finish that welding task but that will be the end of the welding for the project.

i picked up a couple of spray cans of rubberized undercoating and i'm heading out to burn the day's last light by giving the pan another layer of protection.

i'll be back on the wiring tomorrow.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:36 pm 
Sad but True...

t3 ragtop wrote:
which may be true on a normally aspirated engine. water droplets smashing into turbine blades spinning at 25,000 rpm - not so much. :twisted:

alot of guys spray their meth mixture into the turbo inlet. im not too educated on that as I use mine just before the throttle body, but I would imagine 3gph of water/alcohol hitting those blades could be bad too. some say it shifts the turbo compressor efficiency map, or lengthens it or something... plus its the hottest point and you get better evaporation or something

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next