TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My T3 project
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:59 pm 
Suzuki Elder

think carefully about what you want to do with the crank pulley. you have to use a ferrous metal for the trigger wheel to be able to excite the variable reluctance sensor, aluminum teeth won't get it.

i've only had just one aluminum under drive pulley that was made for the v belt on a mk1 and i sent that off to n1tr0 for his 'squirted monster engine. schmikel has it now.

there is one style of 36-1 trigger wheel off, i believe, the ford aerostar 6 cylinder edis controlled engine that is a good match for the approximately 4 1/2" pulley on your mk1. it's the one i used for my project's pulley.

the brakes look great. super job. i was wondering if maybe you had sourced the knuckles off the 95 from a 3 banger car. that makes me wonder if there is a difference in the brake yoke spacing between a g10 vs. g13 mk4/5. the reason i'm off on that tear is that i have taken the brake caliper and yoke from late model metros and bolted them straight over to verts before. if there was a difference, and that much difference in the spacing, the calipers wouldn't have worked on the verts. still, it's very useful info that you have posted concerning the spacing difference. thanks for that.

nice work, young man. thanks for sharing your project on teamswift. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:35 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
think carefully about what you want to do with the crank pulley. you have to use a ferrous metal for the trigger wheel to be able to excite the variable reluctance sensor, aluminum teeth won't get it.
I didn't think about that, thanks. Well then I'll just have him make the outer face flat so I can mount a trigger wheel to it.

t3 ragtop wrote:
i've only had just one aluminum under drive pulley that was made for the v belt on a mk1 and i sent that off to n1tr0 for his 'squirted monster engine. schmikel has it now. there is one style of 36-1 trigger wheel off, i believe, the ford aerostar 6 cylinder edis controlled engine that is a good match for the approximately 4 1/2" pulley on your mk1. it's the one i used for my project's pulley.
I have A/C so if I do underdrive it, the A/C groove will make it around 3/4" or so taller. That's another thing I'll have to keep in mind deciding to underdrive it or not, the outer diameter to fit a trigger wheel. I was thinking just a 10-15% underdrive, nothing major.

I'm also going to upgrade to a GM CS130 105amp alternator, the ones they swap to the Samurai's. Like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAMURAI-1-3L-GM-CS130-ALTERNATOR-KIT-NO-SPLICING-/330458700671?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories but I'll buy just the bracket from him and find the alternator at a junkyard, have it rebuilt, and swap the pulley. I was looking at this pic from N1tro's gallery and wonder if I might me able to just do this but I think I would have to take too much metal off and it would probably eat the A/C belt up.
image_id: 7856

t3 ragtop wrote:
the brakes look great. super job. i was wondering if maybe you had sourced the knuckles off the 95 from a 3 banger car. that makes me wonder if there is a difference in the brake yoke spacing between a g10 vs. g13 mk4/5. the reason i'm off on that tear is that i have taken the brake caliper and yoke from late model metros and bolted them straight over to verts before. if there was a difference, and that much difference in the spacing, the calipers wouldn't have worked on the verts. still, it's very useful info that you have posted concerning the spacing difference. thanks for that.
I'm pretty sure it was a 3 cylinder. I don't think I've ever seen a 4 cylinder Metro at a junkyard, that I can remember.

t3 ragtop wrote:
nice work, young man. thanks for sharing your project on teamswift. :wink:
Thanks for all the input!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:13 am 
Suzuki Elder

n1tr0 used a 60 tooth trigger wheel with a porsche ignition system and i'm pretty sure he used an ms1 back then. the trigger wheel is bolted to his pulley, too.

if you'd like my trigger wheel/ vr sensor source, shoot me a pm and i'll hook you up with a guy who deals in the stuff. it beats the heck out of prowling a junk yard for the parts.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:59 pm 

Got my first bunch of goodies today
image_id: 19264

Got my remote oil filter kit and intake gasket material, for the center intake gasket, from summitracing. My Innovate LC-1 wideband kit and Walbro 255lph fuel pump from eBay. GM IAT sensor and pigtail, tuning cable, and usb adapter from DIYautotune.

Here's the oil filter adapter on the block
image_id: 19265

Had to go get a new jack and drop light today. Dropped off some parts to get hot tanked. Stopped by the machine shop thats going to make my crank pulley and told them to go ahead and make it a 10% underdrive. I was going to start cleaning up parts and paint some stuff today but it's so damn hot and humid today. I think it was raining an hour ago. Hopefully it clears up tomorrow for my junkyard run. I'm going to get a GM 105amp alternator and a non-turbo sprint wiring harness to make my swap easier and so I don't have to hack mine up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:19 pm 

Sweet, my HID headlight and foglight conversion kits just came too.
image_id: 19266

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:59 pm 

1987TurboSprint wrote:
Sweet, my HID headlight and foglight conversion kits just came too.
image_id: 19266

Good god man, why? HIDs in those housings will be like tits on a boar... damned useless and just annoying to all the on coming traffic. It's called relay mod, clear bulbs, and higher wattage halogen... That is if you aren't going for the 'rice rice' look... =)

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:18 am 

I want a whiter bright light. I'll angle them down like they're suppose to be, shouldn't bother anyone else. I already put the brighter halogen bulbs in them but I don't think they did much. They're suppose to last longer too and it was the same price for the kit as it was for a set of new halogen bulbs. Most newer cars on the road have what appears to be close to double the coverage with they're headlights and I'm hoping this should get me close. Other people on the road won't see much of the headlights anyways. It's my taillights they'll be noticing :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:04 pm 

Had to go to the junkyard to get a proportioning valve, mine started leaking. Was going to look for a CS130 GM alternator but I got a pretty sweet deal from the guy my dad uses to rebuild his customers alternators and starters. I gave him my Sprint's alternator and $55 and he's giving me a rebuilt CS130. Saved me from getting the wrong one at the junkyard. I didn't know that the CS130 came in two different top mount configurations. I would've grabbed the first one I saw at the yard and sure enough it would've been the wrong one. Got lucky on that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:52 pm 
Suzuki Elder

jeez! i was asleep at the wheel on that one!

i didn't catch on to your plan until it was too late to call your attention to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Chro ... ccessories

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 pm 

That's a great deal. I got the case and blades painted nice and it's rebuilt so I'm happy with the deal I got. I bought a reman master cylinder from rockauto and we could not get any brake pressure at all. Had to dig the old one out of the trash. And the old one worked fine. Wasted a whole $28 bottle of dot 5 fluid trying to pressure from the reman master cylinder. Ended up getting a cheap bottle of dot 3 when I put the old one back on. But the pedal feel is better than it ever has been with the rear disk brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:09 pm 

The GM alternator bolted right up with the lower bracket supplied in the kit, the pulley it came with lined up perfect, and the stock top bracket lined up perfect. No headaches with that. I'm going to have a new pulley made though, the one that came with the kit is really heavy. It must weight 3 or 4 pounds. Didn't have my camera or I would've taken so pics. But it was a very simple swap. I'd recommend the kit to anyone looking for a higher amp alternator. When I get the block back I'll take some pics and post it in the electrical upgrade section too. This is the seller I bought it from, I got the kit with the belt and pulley. I just told him I needed the v belt pulley. http://shop.ebay.com/adventure-off-rd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:37 am 

Took apart the intake manifold today. The PVC passage in the manifold was filled with sludge. But everything cleaned up nice. My dad also cleaned up the ports a little.
image_id: 19278

Got a bunch of other stuff cleaned and painted.
image_id: 19282
image_id: 19281

Got my fuel rail all prettied up. I found the right pressure regulator that has the line straight instead of bent. I just have to cut the top off, paint, and install.
image_id: 19285

I cut off the line that goes to the cold start injector, tapped it, and put a pressure guage on it.
image_id: 19277

I should be able to start removing all the wiring soon. This is how it sits now.
image_id: 19284
image_id: 19283

I traced and cut the gasket material I got for the middle of the intake manifold. Tomorrow I'll get the holes cut out of it.
image_id: 19287

I ordered a tach driver for my COP setup
image_id: 19286

My Knocksense MS kit came too. The sensor is smaller than it looks on their site. It looks pretty close to the size where the stock knock sensor goes. I'll take it with me tomorrow when I stop by the machine shop and see how it fits.
image_id: 19280

I'll take a pic of the alternator installed too. On my last trip to the junkyard, inside the glovebox of a NA '87 Sprint I found this and thought it was pretty cool.
image_id: 19279

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:24 am 

tach driver???? I think I left it in the harness, it should work as is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:06 pm 

turbohull wrote:
tach driver???? I think I left it in the harness, it should work as is.
You were using an injector as a filter for your tach driver though right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:07 pm 
Suzuki Elder

is your tach driver configuration the 3 blocking diodes in parallel and a series zener diode?

i thought i counted 4 wires in and one out and figured that the module was for a 4 cylinder.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:41 pm 

I ordered the 3 input one but they sent me the 4 input one. I emailed them and they said I can just cut the unused wire off. All I know is three of the wires go to the negative side of each coil and they run through a filter it has one wire off of that for the tach.

Got the intake manifold all put back together
image_id: 19288

On the motor
image_id: 19291

Everythings just laying on the block
image_id: 19292

Here's the GM alternator on the block
image_id: 19290

The knock sensor on the block. I had to open the inside up and used a bolt the same diameter as the stock knock sensor as a guide. This bolt was too long though. But it looks like it will work just fine.
image_id: 19289

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:50 am 

Wow, you're project is coming along nicely! Very impressive and inspiring.
I've been enjoying driving my project around this summer, taking a break from
the mods and tweaks. I really enjoy it. It's kinda hard to keep up the momentum
of dilligently working on it due to life and work, cruising around town does make
it worthwhile. These cars are really fun! Keep up the good work, I'm really enjoying
your effort!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:29 am 

Thanks! Yeah I can't wait to drive it :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:34 am 

sorry to say that the tach adapter you bought won't work with these coils, you don't have access to the negative side of the coils because they have internal igniters.

my tach adapter is a relay winding that simulates a stock coil for your stock tachometer. it's driven by the MS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:58 pm 

Okay so it's ready to go as is? That's cool, it wasn't expensive. I'll just put it up for sale with all the stock stuff I won't be using anymore when I'm done with the build. I'm sure someone could use it. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:44 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i had thought that mathieu had told me about his cops not having a pin for the coil - . that's one of the reasons i did my ignition the way i did.

i'm interested to see how the knocksense works out. when i had checked on them, the guy told me that the filter had been tweaked for volvos and he wasn't sure how it would respond to the turbo3.

your fuel rail is cool. won't it be hard to see the fuel presuure gauge from the driver's seat? =)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:53 pm 

Thanks T3! Yeah it's just there to set the regulator and look cool. Also there's no port to test the fuel pressure, so now I don't need one. I don't want a bunch of guages in the car. Well I have plans for that later. I just want a boost and AFR guage in the car for now.

I took a trip to a metric only fastener shop. Got $250 worth of stainless allen bolts, washers, and nuts for $150. I have to go back next week and get a few more sets of bolts. Looking pretty good so far.

image_id: 19294

image_id: 19295

image_id: 19296

image_id: 19297

image_id: 19298

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:24 pm 

There's an amazing place in Miramar CA called Marshall's Industrial Hardware.
It's a division of Ace Hardware. Not a huge place, maybe 1/10 the size of a
Home Depot, but the selection of nuts and bolts is absolutely incredible.
They have about 10 rows dedicated to nuts n bolts all sizes, types & grades.
It's self serve, so you get to pick n browse hands on or w/help from the staff.
I've not seen better pricing on nuts n bolts anywhere that rivals the selection
they offer. The rest of the store also has those hard to find items, the price
is a bit of a premium, but they seem to have the goods or can order it quick.

Interesting selection of allen bolts! On my last head job, I redid all the fasteners
on the intake, and T/B with stainless as well, but used the standard hex head bolts.
Problem was, all bolt head sizes went up to a 13mm not the factory 12mm.
Not really a problem though, just have to have a nice selection of thin wall
box wrenches for the clearance.
I did the exhaust as well with stainless, and that presented a few more clearance
issues. Ended up using some studs (the ones with an allen fitting on the end)
in combination with bolts.
Anyway, you might check them online or give them a call as they will ship as well
if you know what you need and have a problem finding it elsewhere. I highly
recommend this outlet to anyone in SoCal, like I said it's an amazing place with
a huge selection of odds n ends. Likewise, there's always McMaster for online and
mail order, Jeez- have you ever got their catalogue ? it's a friggin phone book.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:46 pm 

There's a big nut and bolt place a few minutes from my house but they don't carry much metric stuff. Miramar is about three hours or so from me. The place I went to is a half an hour away and had like 8 rows but all metric. I guess the only reason they have some of the stainless allen bolts I needed was people use them on their motorcycles. I decided on allen heads because some of them would be easier to get to if they were allen heads so I decided to do them all to match.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:40 am 

Got the exhaust manifold and turbo cleaned up and painted. This paint is suppose to be good for 2000 degrees so we'll see how it holds up.
image_id: 19300

Have the coils on the plugs to figure out how I'm gonna mount them. I'm going to have to get a little longer coil boots to clear the turbo piping.
image_id: 19299

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next