TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My T3 project
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:40 am 

Here's a rough idea of what the coil bracket will look like
image_id: 19320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:44 am 

The coils fit better under the bracket
image_id: 19335

March Performance makes an aluminum alternator pulley thats the right size. I had to open the inner diameter up with a socket wrapped in sandpaper but it was really close. After a few turns it fit perfect. I'll order their aluminum alternator fan too, I wanted to make sure the pulley would fit first.
image_id: 19333

On the motor. The waterpump pulley will match later. The crank and cam pulleys will be anodized.
image_id: 19334

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:18 am 

Painted the rear panels and cleaned up the spare tire well and layed down a layer of sound deadener
image_id: 19353

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:41 am 

A little progress. I ordered and installed a Honda short throw shifter. Had to use a large o-ring at the top and bottom to take up the slack, it's tight now though. I took a trip to the yard and got another set of headlights. My driver side top adjuster was broken. I also looked at a late Metro, 2000 maybe, and grabbed it's wiper bottle. It's mounted at the front of the fender well. There wasn't a lot of room but it fit. Waiting for my new intercooler to show up so I can make a mount for it and figure out where I'm going to have room for some other stuff. Got the battery box made and it's sitting in the trunk. It's counter sunk about four inches. Gives me about a little more than an inch of travel at ride height before it hits the panhard bar. I'm looking into getting an adjustable one so I should gain another 1/4" or so with that. I'll get some pics this weekend and post 'em up. And now, I wait...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:25 pm 

I hope you're not waiting for me :oops: I didn't forget, I'll pm you shortly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:14 pm 

:lol: no, I'm waiting for parts to show up. Got nothing to work on until monday. I ordered up some other goodies last night too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:15 pm 

This is an awesome build, I really like what you have done and what you are planning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:29 am 

Thanks, there's a lot more planned too. It will be some time before it's all done or as done as I can get it. I had the HID head lights and foglights in and working but the passenger side headlight ballast box stopped working. It has a year warranty so hopefully there's no problems getting a replacement. The fuse box is getting hot too. It was doing that before the HID's were installed though. I found one wire that someone jumped from the headlight switch to the dimmer knob. It was causing a big short. I'm going to take a trip to the yard tomorrow and grab a mk1 NA wiring harness and the window regulators. I got another roll of sound deadener and layed it down under the backseats and over the rear wheel wells. I ordered a used Cusco Skyline R33 strut tower bar off ebay. Not gonna be here for 3 or 4 weeks though, coming from Japan. I'll either get an adjustable panhard bar for a Holden Commador VB-VS off ebay or I'll see about having one made. My air to water intercooler should be here tomorrow along with the water radiator and fan so I can see where everything is going to fit. There's not a lot of room with the A/C condensor and dryer in the way. The catch can I ordered to be the filler/overflow bottle for the intercoolers water should be here by the end of the week too. It said it was on a truck out for delivery on saturday but I only got the sound deadener from them. Lazy FedEx. It's really exciting seeing all these pieces come together. But I cannot wait to drive it. I keep wanting to do more and more to it and it just adds to the time it will take to get done. I know it will be worth it though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:59 pm 

Well I grabbed a NA mk1 harness from the junkyard and when I got back my intercooler stuff was waiting for me.
image_id: 19450

I wanted to put the intercooler's radiator and fan in the grill area but after some cutting and grinding it was just too close. It'll have to go in the back, under the car. Had I known I probably would've ordered the next larger size. But it should work fine. BTW the plactic "mounting kit" that come with the fans suck. I'll have to figure out another way the attach the fans.
image_id: 19449

Here's the battery box. It sits about 3 and a half inches down in the spare tire well.
image_id: 19451

I wish I took a pic of the headlights before that ballast box stopped working. They looked good, very bright. I ordered the 6000k but I think I'll probably ending up getting a set of 5000k bulbs later. The 6000k were called diamond white and didn't look like they had any blue in them on their site but they have more blue than I like. The 5000k are suppose to be bright white with a slight yellow tint. I think I'll like that better. I called them about replacing the ballast box and I just had to cut off the connector that goes into box and email them a pic so they know I'm not just trying to get an extra ballast from them.

Tomorrow I'm gonna make a mount for the intercooler's radiator and maybe pull the gas tank.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:12 pm 

Here's the R33 Skyline tower bar I got. I have to open the center up a few mm's and repaint/polish it still
image_id: 19492
image_id: 19494

I found a perfect a while back. I decided to roll the dice and try to mold a guage pod on to it. I think it turned out great. Then I painted the whole dash.
image_id: 19484
image_id: 19489

I'm going to have my wideband guage, boost guage/controller, and an oil pressure guage in the pod. I painted the face and lip black after.
image_id: 19488

I used 3m flexible repair kit and it turned out nice. I touched it up a little more after I took these pics.
image_id: 19486
image_id: 19487
image_id: 19485

Here's the dash in the car. I also painted the steering wheel and I did the horn buttons black to match the rest of the buttons in the car. I'm going to try to color in the horn in white and the red ring with those touchup pens.
image_id: 19493
image_id: 19491

I got one of these catch cans to use as my water intercooler's overflow bottle. I just turn it up side down and had a cap and bung welded to it. I'm going to have it polished later.
image_id: 19497
image_id: 19496

I got one of these power window kits. I just had to trim a little bit and it works great.
image_id: 19498
image_id: 19495

It was a little bit of a pain to put the switches over the old crank hole. But it looks okay.
image_id: 19490

The battery is low in this vid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:44 am 

I picked up the parts I had powdercoated and polished today. It all came out really nice and I didn't pay a whole lot for it. The tower bar looks awesome. So does the intercooler, all the welds on the top are gone and it looks like it's one piece.
image_id: 19531
image_id: 19532
image_id: 19527
image_id: 19528
image_id: 19525
image_id: 19529
image_id: 19533
image_id: 19535

I could have bought this silver but I didn't know what color everything was going to be at the time but it didn't cost much to have powdercoated.
image_id: 19526
image_id: 19539

I got rid of the pulsation dampener and got an adapter and AN fitting instead. I'm going to see if I can get adapters for the fuel filter too.
image_id: 19534
image_id: 19543

My dad had a spare billet Lokar dipstick knob. Got it polished too and it looks pretty good. I cut the dipstick too low though so I need to get another one tomorrow.
image_id: 19530

The Metro wiper bottle is mounted, wired, and working great. It sprays a lot harder than my stock one did.
image_id: 19542

The intercooler's radiator is mounted in the back. I definitely need to find a better way to mount the fan. I'll probably use the bolts like the ones on the stock A/C condensor.
image_id: 19541

I found an A/C condensor thats narrow enough to fit in front of the radiator so I have plently of room for a new turbo and exhaust manifold. I was even able to use the stock lower mounts, just had to drill the holes for them. I have a nice air gap between it and the radiator. I got a new polished dryer too.
image_id: 19537
image_id: 19538
image_id: 19536

The hood has some surface rust, the fenders have some small dings, and I already painted the grill and bumper so I thought I might as well do the whole front of the car now and not wait. I'm filling the side markers too.
image_id: 19540

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:14 am 

I keep looking at the pics of the strut brace and don't see that the hoods
gonna clear. :huh:
I'm sure you've mounted the hood and clicked it shut, so tell me I'm wrong.
I had a devil of a time with mine, but I was adapting one from a Honda,
so it wasn't meant for a Sprint.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:22 pm 

It's probably the angle of the camera, it sits lower than the top of the A/C idle valve did. I haven't put the hood back on it yet but it should close fine. I'm not the first to use a Skyline R33 tower bar on an mk1.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:42 pm 

You mentioned mounting the condenser in front of the radiator for a
possible turbo upgrade, I am very curious if you have any plans
for relocating the A/C compressor?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:31 pm 

No the compressor has to stay. I moved the condensor so I'll have more room to mount the turbo farther forward. On the mk1's the front motor mount is right next to the compressor anyways so I don't think it would much good to relocate compressor if I could. The manifold is going to have to be custom made and it will still be a tight fit. Hopefully the smaller condensor won't affect how well the A/C works too much. It will have a higher cfm fan too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:57 pm 
Suzuki Elder

with regard to mounting the fan to your intercooler heat exchanger, with that type use a 7" fan with the nylon zip mounts through the core. that's a direct mount that's very secure and requires no shrouding.

looks better all the time. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:24 pm 

Thanks t3! I get paid every two weeks so every two weeks I have new parts for it :D. That's the 7" fan on it in the pic.
image_id: 19449
image_id: 19541

The plastic ties it came with won't hold it. One broken already and one just pops off. I'm thinking of just using thin bolts with washers. Like the stock condensor has but thinner if I can get thinner that long.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:29 am 

I went ahead and put the hood on today to start on the intercooler mount. Hood closes just fine, plenty of room for the tower bar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:36 pm 

Another pic heavy update :cheers: I got some stuff done in the engine bay. I was hoping it would be busy at work as it usually is around the holidays but it's been really slow so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get the new turbo and have a manifold made without having to wait a few more months for the money. So I've decided to get everything else done first and save that for the end. And I may just get it running with the stock turbo but I'll wait and see what happens. So if I'm going to be using the stock turbo I have the air filter I'll use on. I got the pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body on.
image_id: 19651

I got a HKS SSQV BOV that I'll have the flange welded to that pipe and the IAT sensor on the other side of that. I got the recirculation fitting for it but if I use the stock turbo, I'm not going to recirculate. I'll just open vent it. That way I can just use the stock turbo inlet hose. When I get the other turbo I'll have to make a new inlet setup and I will recirculate the bov. I'm going to have the part that comes off on the dump side polished.
image_id: 19659

All the plumbing for the intercooler's water system is done except the pump. The pump is on it's way so I should be able to finish that soon.
image_id: 19654

I got a nice billet GM twist on oil cap. I'm going to take a spare GM valve cover and cut the threaded part off and have welded to my valve cover and shorten the neck about 3/4".
image_id: 19653

I went to a trophy shop and had them make me this. I also had them remake the Suzuki Motor Co. firewall tag. I'm going to have them make me another one cause the words in white need to be bigger and the whole thing needs to be another 1/16" x 1/16". I thought it was pretty cool and a nice touch to change it to sequential fuel injection being thats what it is now. It's red in person, just looks that pinkish color in pics.
image_id: 19652

I found this randomly looking for something else. I had a plug in the cold start injector hole but this looks better to me. It's a GM EGR block off. I'm going to have it polished. That's also where I'm going to put the nitrous nozzle, I'll just drill and tap that. But I'm going to have it good and broken in before I even start buying that stuff.
image_id: 19661

All the factory punch out slots will be used now. I moved the rear defroster switch to the passenger side. It doesn't do anything but I wanted to use the GTi factory foglight switch and the defroster switch looks better than an empty slot. On the other side I got some nice painless performance rocker switches. I think they look pretty good. They light up and fit the slots really nice. I need to get one more. The single green one will be power for a carputer I'm going to put in the hatch. The blue on top and red on bottom will be the switch to turn on and off the intercoolers water pump and fan. When on it'll be blue and when off red. The Green on top and red on bottom will be for when I get nitrous. The green will be to turn the system on and the red will be for the purge. Then I'm going to get one more for the exhaust cutout. It will be Red top and bottom. They're suppose to have a momentary switch but I can't find any rocker switches that are momentary both ways. The one I have for nitrous is momentary for the purge. So I'll just have to put the switch back in the middle when the exhaust is open or closed all the way.
image_id: 19655
image_id: 19656
image_id: 19657

Almost done with the sound deadener. I have enough to finish the floor but I need one more roll to the the doors and the rear panels.
image_id: 19658

The battery cables are ran and the hatch is finished for now.
image_id: 19665

My dad made a cover for the spare tire well. It came out pretty good. It's has hinges and a stand. The back will be carpeted over eventually.
image_id: 19667
image_id: 19663
image_id: 19666
image_id: 19664

And he made a new panel for the hatch. I'll have 5 1/4" speakers in there and the wood under the vinyl needs to be sanded flat. I'll put carpet so the hatch panel is flush and to cover the glue the previous owner used to cover the hatch panel with carpet.
image_id: 19668

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:42 am 

Very well done Sir,
Doing things in such a way inspires. Gives me hope about getting back to my project. Thanks for all the pics and updates. Keep it up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:28 pm 

Thanks! Unfortunately my daily driver '94 Towncar has leaky headgasket and is getting progressively worse. So I'm going to have to get my T3 running soon. So I'm going to wait on the interior and keep the stock manifold and turbo. Along with some other small things I was going to do but everything can be done down the road. Got a little more done. Had a nice aluminum coolant reservoir made with the side sight to match my catch can and intercooler reservoir.
image_id: 19730

Got the bov flange and IAT sensor bung welded to the throttle body side charge pipe.
image_id: 19731

The turbo side charge pipe needs an extension welded to the outlet pipe. I got the air filter pipe figured out. It's sturdier than it looks.
image_id: 19734

I also got the water intercooler system all worked out, I'm just waiting for two fittings and it's done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:46 pm 

Been busy with work but I have some updates. I had a few more things polished.
image_id: 19809
image_id: 19808
image_id: 19811
image_id: 19810
image_id: 19807

I had the valve cover modified for the screw on GM cap and had the nubs turned down.
image_id: 19806

I got the distributor polished and had a billet cap made for it.
image_id: 19805

I had a AN adapter welded to the recirculation fitting for the bov so I can run a fitting and nylon braided line there too. And here's what it looks like right now.
image_id: 19812

Also because I was able to get back to work and work a lot of overtime I was able to order the turbo and will have a header made. It's a brand new GT2560 and I had it ceramic coated black. The header will be coated black too.
image_id: 19813

The guy who is doing all my custom fab work just got the job to make all the valve covers for the new 2011 Carroll Shelby Signature Series AC Cobras. They're only making 50 of them. So he'll be busy with that for a few weeks so hopefully he can be able to get to my Sprint by February.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:47 am 

This is the electric cutout I'll be using. It'll have flanges on both sides so I can drop it out and replace it with a cat for smog tests. Should sound mean with a header, larger turbo, 2.5in pipe, and a cutout. Even closed it should still sound good with a magnapack and no cat. I might have to put a resonator on it to keep it from being too loud :twisted:
image_id: 19819

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:10 am 

Your attention to detail is to be admired! Keep up with the good work and detailed posts!

- 84 K5 Blazer, 12 inches of lift on SS 44's
- DD: 99 F150 4.6L V8 Ext. Cab, Longbox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14 pm 

Well my Towncar finally took a dump and when looking for a good used motor for it at a local wrecking yard I spotted this beauty...
image_id: 19839
image_id: 19838

Classic Northstar blown head gasket/pulled threads. But the body, paint, and interior are perfect. It had just arrived and they didn't even try to start it yet. Guy they bought it from told them it had a blown motor so they never even bothered. I scored it for $1600 and they gave me $250 for my old Towncar. Northstar performance in Canada has made a stud kit for it, instead of inserts. So I've started pulling the motor out, huge pita :evil: but it's such a nice car it's not as bad. So this is getting all my attention (money) right now.

image_id: 19837
image_id: 19836

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next