TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:40 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My T3 project
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:17 pm 

nice project

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:36 am 

My brother used that stud kit on his Caddy and has put 12,000 miles on since. It worked well but was quite a project as we didn't have a lift and had to take the engine out through the bottom of the car. I will post some pic's if I can get them from my brother. It's a shame that those caddy's do that as many of them are still beautiful cars. Good Luck with it and good luck getting back to the T3 Projects. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:00 pm 

Yeah I'm in the same boat. It was a complex to say the least to drop the craddle from the bottom with a cherry picker, two jacks, and a couple of jack stands. The worst part was the tap they sent with the kit broke off on the third hole about 1/4" from the bottom. Had to take it about 60 miles to a shop that could cut it out with a laser. Then I ordered a cobalt tap so it wouldn't break again. For whatever reason the jig it came with didn't fit my block quite right. It took some work getting the heads on but it turned out great! The valves were rusted so I rebuilt the heads. I also rebuilt the starter and alternator while there were out. Got cross drilled and slotted rotors all the way around with ceramic pads. I replaced all the cooling hoses. Replaced the third brake light. I spent probably around $2500 in repairs but it's been totally worth it. The car runs perfectly and it's like brand new on the inside. You would never know it has 98,000miles on it. I'm going to have to replace the struts/shocks soon and that around $2200, not cheap. But all in all I'm thrilled with how this car has turned out. It'll compliment my Sprint perfectly. My Sprint will be a little raw and direct and the Caddy will be smooth. Plus the stock stereo in that Caddy is amazing! I thought I was going to spend a few grand and build a sick system for it but it's damn good now! I'll just be putting a touch screen in it with bluetooth and HD radio and I'm good. Btw if you think the craddle drop was a pita wait until you have to do the heater core. That dash is a huge pita to remove completely! Just did that last week, not fun. Wasn't for the heater core though. I had to replace the mode door actuator for the HVAC and you can just barely get to it without taking that dash apart but the metal gear from the old actuator stuck to the cam for the doors and to take that off I had to pull most of the dash out. So while most of it was out I pulled the rest out to inspect the heater core, which turned out to be just fine. Not an easy job.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:10 pm 

Oh and I love my new Caddy but nowhere near how much I love my Sprint!!! I'm doing all this to the Caddy right now because I can do all that stuff myself or with my dad but the things my Sprint needs are the more expensive stuff that I have to pay someone else to do. I can't wait to get my Sprint done and back on the road but for now I have to wait for work to pick up. Right now it doesn't look good at my job. I've been laid off since the end of december. Which use to be common but it only use to be for a few weeks but all those damn 3D and digital movies are phasing out the film business. Hopefully it picks up soon and I can make enough to get my Sprint done before it goes belly up.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:33 am 

You and my brother are very similiar as he has the Caddy and a Turbo Sprint that we flew to Colorado to get and drive back. He is just getting the Sprint out now for the summer. Keep us updated about your Sprint Project and good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 am 

I am taking my Sprint to have the guy doing my fabrication work make the rest of the stuff I need made next week. Which is the header, downpipe, intercooler mount, and underdrive crank pulley with a 36-1 trigger built in. After that I only need a few things and it should be ready to run. At least to the point where I can start the motor and work on the tuning a little. I still need a clutch and I'm thinking of having a place out here called 10,000rpm build me a custom clutch. I liked the Spec stage 2+ clutch I had but it chattered and I'm told it's because it wasn't full faced. So I'll see if they can make me a full faced ceramic/kevlar disk.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:38 pm 

Okay the Sprint is at the the shop getting the header and misc stuff made. The guy told me that he'd probably have to move the radiator and A/C condensor over and put them in diagonially. I'm not so sure it can be done. Maybe if it was just the radiator but I doubt the condensor will have room to fit too. I forgot to bring the A/C condensor so I'll take that tomorrow and we'll figure it out for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i got to the point where it was like trying to put 5 pounds of shit into a 1 pound sack with my project.

misery loves company. :lol:

i see you're at that point, too. :blackeye:

remember, where there's a will (and a thick wallet) there's a way.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:16 pm 

For sure, if the wallet thickness wasn't a problem it would be a completely different project :lol: The stock turbo was pretty close to the radiator and the the A/C condensor and this turbo is coated and so is the header so I think everything can be closer than he is thinking. He's use to 1000hp+ twin turbo salt flat cars and my little 1.0 liter is not going to be putting out anywhere near the heat of one of those monsters. But if we can move things around then we will. What needs to be done will be done.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:24 pm 
Suzuki Elder

don't forget that there's a big selection of thermal products out there, too.

i covered my entire turbo and manifold with a fiberglass backed aluminum foil blanket that's good for 2500 degrees f. i still have most of my thermal insulators left to install. once i get everything in place and tested for leaks, i'll put on the various sleeves, reflectors, and tubes.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:43 pm 

any updates here?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:32 am 

Yes but unfortunately due to 3d movies, the digital projection boom, and a crappy union my film tech job was downsized and then out sourced so there isn't much update. I've been laid off almost a year. I did work with my dad for a couple months earlier this year but we haven't had any big jobs in a a few months. So I have gathered a few parts but have been in a stall waiting for my place in line with my fab guy. It is suppose to be done in the next few weeks. He'll be building the header, downpipe, intercooler bracket, and panhard bar. It's been there a while but he had six or seven full cages, a dozen dragster frames, and three turn key cars ahead of me when I dropped it off.

I got a turbo exhaust flange to v band in stainless and 3" to 2.5" reducer also in stainless
image_id: 21168

I got a set of Five-O 450cc low impedance injectors
image_id: 21166

6.5" 36-1 trigger wheel for the crank.
image_id: 21164

I'll be ordering the AASCO aluminum flywheel and Spec stage 3+ clutch soon. Other than those I don't think I need much more. Just to get it back here :lol: The wiring needs to be finished and the crank trigger needs to be to mounted. That sould take a week max. I'll get it running as it's setup and then I work on getting rid of the distributor and use a cam sensor on the sprocket.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:18 am 

What is AASCO asking for their flywheel? If it's under $350 i'm interested.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:12 am 

mightbegiant wrote:
What is AASCO asking for their flywheel? If it's under $350 i'm interested.
Amazon lists them for under that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 pm 

I got me a pair of GT adjustable cam gears off ebay. I got two cause it was just as much for one as it was for a pair. So I figure I can sell the unused gear. I had to get them from overseas cause I wanted red ones and I could only find blue in the US. They came from China but they only took four days to get here. The GT gears have two slots for the cam dowel, one for intake and a different one for exhaust. Neither are in the right place for the TDC mark. So instead of just remarking TDC, I took the cam to my machine shop and had them remove the stock dowel and add two dowels so the TDC mark is TDC. I didn't have to have two dowels but I figure it couldn't hurt and now it can only go on one way.

image_id: 21367

image_id: 21368

image_id: 21369
The washer is a boat engine mount spacer that I had turned down on a lathe and drilled the center out. I think it looks pretty good with the black allen bolt considering all the rest of the engine bay is black and polished.

I also ordered a '98 Metro lower crank gear. It was the only one I could find new online but I forgot the '98's have the reluctor wheel on that gear. I'll just cut it off though. Also got a '98 tensioner. For the belt I went to Dayco's website and searched for a belt the stock length and tooth count as an mk1 but the same width and tooth pitch as the GT's. The part number was Dayco #95272. It's the same belt on the '95-97 1.3 SOHC's.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:21 am 

Nice to see some updates!

I recall asking 3 tech about adjustable cam pulleys a while back
and Mike said that these motors are timed right and there's no
benefit to them. Obviously you must see some advantage or
you wouldn't have went to the trouble. :huh:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:50 am 
Suzuki Elder

the advantage comes with using the megasquirt in sequential mode for injection. the adjustments are minimal, i used +3*, but it made the math easier for tweaking injection timing on my mk2.

and it looks like the business. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:51 pm 

It does look cool 8) and having the thicker belt makes me feel better. Even if 0 is where it runs the best I'll still be glad I did the swap. But I doubt it will run the best at 0, it might not need much adjusting or make much of a difference though.

Edit: Not doubting Mike, just doubting that it'll want exactly 0. Every engine runs a little different.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:30 pm 

I think maybe what Mike meant is that mk1 engines are timed right, and mk2 engines benefit from an advance sprocket? I know it made quite a difference on my engine. I had a mk2.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 am 

Finally getting some work done on it a little at a time. BJ, the guy who does all my welding and fab work, got a job welding at the air force research base out here. So the shop is only open an hour or two after he gets off work everyday and one or two whole days a week when he has days off. So progress will be a little at a time until all the fab work is done. I am actually going down there everyday to work on it and getting him to weld or machine whatever I need done to get it finished. Hoping it'll be back in my garage within 4-6 weeks. Then I will be working on it night and day until it's running. So hopefully before the end of summer it will be back on the road. It's been a while since I've updated the build but there hasn't been much to update. I have been collecting parts and planning things out. My budget got shot to hell when I got laid off last year but I decided to not put less money into it to get it finished sooner but to just let it take more time to get it done right. The last few days we've been fabing up something that I think every mk1 owner will want, so stay tuned!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:45 am 

:huh: Hmmm... so that must either be an Ejector Seat or a Pulse Jet! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:22 am 

Close :lol: So getting ready to start the header and we're holding the turbo up to see how it needs to be oriented and I didn't like how close the motor mount was to the turbo. Not that it would hurt anything but that it was in the way and a smaller mount would allow more room to mount the turbo lower. My dad was currently looking into LSx G-Body swap mounts and they're just a plate on the block with tabs and a plate on the frame with a sleeve and a link bushing between the two. So I thought that would be easy to make for my Sprint. Then thought I may as well do the rear mount and the top mount the same.

G-body LSx swap mounts
image_id: 21813

I pulled the mount I had on the car. It is 18 months old but the motor has never ran. It's split all the way through. :shock:
image_id: 21798

The plate for the block was pretty simple. I got a few 6x6, 5x5, and 4x4 pre-drilled fence pole plates. They have holes drilled in the corners and the 5x5 plate holes were dead on. I had to cut 1.5" or so inches off the bottom but the top holes were exactly right.
image_id: 21799

The 6x6 plate holes lined up perfect with the holes in the frame. Just trimming required.
image_id: 21800

For the bushings I used Energy Suspension Hyper Flex polyurethane link bushings. One of their suggested uses is engine and trans mounts. Then I found some chassis tabs lying around the shop and cut the ends flat.
image_id: 21801

BJ welded the tabs on the frame plate.
image_id: 21803

It looks like it's too close to the oil filter relocater fittings but thats just the angle, there's plenty of room.
image_id: 21802

The bushings have about 1/8" between the them and the fittings.
image_id: 21804

I'm keeping the A/C so space on the passenger side is tight.
image_id: 21805

Got the bushing sleeve cut and beveled on the lathe so there are no edges to mess up the bushing.
image_id: 21807

We went with a 1" thick walled pipe curved down to give the most room for the turbo.
image_id: 21808

All welded up.
image_id: 21809

image_id: 21811

image_id: 21812

Tomorrow we'll do the top mount and probably start on the back mount. I'm very excited about these mounts. If there's enough interest we could make a jig and sell them. The stock rear mount is hard to find and the stock mounts let the engine move way too much. If we did sell them, we'd warranty them for life. The metal part of course. BJ's welding is top notch and I'd stand by it. The bushings are a $20 replaceable part and I'm sure they would last a very long time. Also if we made them they wouldn't be exactly like mine. They could be but my setup may not work for everyone. I have an AEM oil pressure gauge and I'm not using the stock oil sending unit and the block plate covers the sending unit. We could use chassis tabs on the block side instead of the pipe and drill a hole so the oil pressure sensor isn't blocked off or you could put a 90 degree fitting in the block and the stock sensor would fit. I may do this anyways so the light on the dash works. I have an oil filter relocator but a stock oil filter looks like it would be a tight fit. We could not put a bend in the pipe or use straight chassis tabs and there would be plently of room. I'll have them powder coated along with the rest of the brackets I haven't had coated yet. I could offer them powder coated, spray painted, or bare. There's a local coater here that does great work at an even better price. I'll make a posting in the Manufacturers/Suppliers thread once I have all three engine mounts done to see if there's interest in them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 am 

The shop my Sprint it at is in an open desert area off a dirt road and black widows have made the shop and my car their home. Last week I brought the adjustable cam gear down there and put it on the head and the next day I pull it off and there's a 2" long female BW hiding behind it. I had my fingers back there too :shock: I knocked it down with a wrench and killed it but she had already laid eggs all over the place. So now there are baby BW's all over my Sprint. Brake cleaner doesn't kill them but a propane torch sure does :twisted: Anyways, the top mount is done. I took the rubber off the stock top mount and cleaned up the inside. (This pic is before cleaning it up)
image_id: 21830

Then we turned down a piece of 2" tube a few .100's to fit inside the stock mount and narrowed the bushings and collar 3/8" or so to fit in the stock location.
image_id: 21831

image_id: 21832

Four 1" welds on each side
image_id: 21833

With the front and top mount done the motor barely budges even the the rear mount off!! :D

With the top mount done, we started on the rear mount. Made the engine plate keeping the cut out section so the starter has plenty of room.
image_id: 21834

On the block
image_id: 21835

Because the frame side of the mount mounts from under the car we're just going to use the stock mount bracket to attach the collar for the bushing.
image_id: 21836

The rear mount should be done tomorrow and then we're starting on a new set of one off parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:50 am 
Suzuki Elder

nice fabrication work. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:25 pm 

Thanks, it's starting to come together. We got the rear mount done.

Chassis tabs welded to stock rear frame bracket.
image_id: 21849

Mounted to the frame.
image_id: 21850

Finished mount
image_id: 21851

We got the intercooler mounting bracket done today today too. I had planned to use the stock mounting bracket locations so the intercooler could move with the engine but now that the motor shouldn't be doing much moving we decided to mount it to the frame. That 6x6 fence post plate bolted right up to the stock battery box mounting holes.
image_id: 21852

Then used some 3/16" steel flat bar and bent it so it would fit on the plate. And the IC bracket is done.
image_id: 21853

I'll be redoing the IC piping and changing the locations of a few things but things are starting to get done. Me and my dad have been going down there and do the little stuff like the cutting and grinding and get BJ to use the lathe and do the welding. Which I don't mind cause things will get done and they'll be exactly how I want them. BJ is there so little now and has quite a few cars to get done and I can't wait another month or two or six for it to get done. Plus now that we're doing a lot of the work I won't have to pay BJ to do the little stuff :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next