TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:29 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:40 pm 
MuE Patient Zero/The Link Man

whattheeee wrote:
I don't know why Erik keeps telling every single person about that motor.... It's Adams now and he does definetely have plans for it.

every single person... yeah, ok... Will, Jeff, and Matt are the only people who know you took it...

I havn't talked to either since, about it, and i TOO was unaware you passed to adam...

geeeez, don't pass the blame on me man :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:30 pm 

That was with stock injectors.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/mes ... 7.1&maxT=8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:23 am 
Senior Swift Guru

Mustard wrote:
whattheeee wrote:
I don't know why Erik keeps telling every single person about that motor.... It's Adams now and he does definetely have plans for it.

every single person... yeah, ok... Will, Jeff, and Matt are the only people who know you took it...

I havn't talked to either since, about it, and i TOO was unaware you passed to adam...

geeeez, don't pass the blame on me man :P

Someones talking... I had questions in my email even... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:46 am 
MuE Patient Zero/The Link Man

BAH!

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:04 pm 

Uhh, sorry Kyle and Erik, didn't mean to start anything...Can't you guys just kiss and make up? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:16 pm 

i dont need to watch that...:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:49 pm 

turbo3newbie wrote:
The first thing everyone says is "the scoop's backwards"... :oops: Its a puller scoop; I plan to run ducting from the grill under the intercooler, and have the (kinda) low pressure area draw it out from the top. Judging from the way snow blows off my hood at about 70-80kph, it seems the opening of the scoop was a stronger low pressure area then I originally thought (it its quite close to the base of the windshield, a high pressure point but i moved the duct as far forward as I could), hope I'm right.

My question is why? Why don't you just front mount the intercooler for direct air flow? Even with the ducting the air has the potential of being heated up from the engine compartment. On the haven there was a guy who did tests with a thermocouple that came to the conclusion that the stock location of the intercooler is prone to heat soak. I think it would be wiser to go with the front mount. It'll fit without too much hassle. You can still use the reverse hood scoop to vent the excess heat out of the engine bay. I personally am going to be running a DSM intercooler set-up for a front munt in the T3 and yes it'll have 'tards motor and it will be installed to replace my motor. My motor currently has over 342,XXX K on it but it's still going strong. I'm only replacing the mtor because I will be trying to max out the stock turbo before going bigger and better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:32 am 

If I want to sound smart, I tell people my main reasons for leaving the intercooler where it is was for straighter and shorter intake routing, but in all honesty the main reason was cost :oops: So what ae you going to do with your old motor after the swap Adam? ;)

Post subject: t3's
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:18 pm 

If you want to see a complete cold air inlet system that I made, ask nitro1 to post a picture he has of my car. The Biggest killer of power on the T3 is the turbo's own induced heat which is robbing way more power them the intercooler. Vent a ram air duct to the turbo itself, it does help in the summer. And yes I will to be going front mount cooler when time and money permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:36 pm 

GMC, you mean to cool the body of the turbo? If thats the case, I already removed my old rusty block-off panel that was beside the radiator. Now I can see the turbo from the airdam opening. With intake routing I meant post-turbo routing. Also, I wasn't aware that the actual turbo's temperature constitued to that much intake charge heat, with air moving through it at 100 MPH+ (wish my car was that fast), I belived the main contribution of heat was due to compression of the charge and not from heat soak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:08 am 

turbo3newbie wrote:
If I want to sound smart, I tell people my main reasons for leaving the intercooler where it is was for straighter and shorter intake routing, but in all honesty the main reason was cost :oops: So what ae you going to do with your old motor after the swap Adam? ;)

Well the front mount can be made cheaper than the re-route you have planned. If you get some mandrel bent exhaust tubing and some strapping you can do it. You can re-use the stock rubber tubing cut up and used as the couplers to go between the tubing. Add a few clamps and it's done. I figure for my set-up I'll spend about $50.00 for everything. Plus with your scoop ran backwards it'll remove all the heat out of your compartment.

The "spare" motor is going to be going into my Samurai with a few small re-works. I want to see how long it'll last at 16 psi :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:45 pm 

I would like to buy a Turbo 3 banger firefly if anyone is selling one. Exterior condition or AC etc. is of no consequence to me. It should have a good computer and run good.

Post subject: t3
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:28 pm 

From talking to a guy that rebuilds turbos he sayes our little turbo suffers from heat build and in turn power loss far more then bigger units. The water cooling tube makes such little contact that not much cooling is happening. I pulled my shield to but that does not force air on the turbo with any pressure. What I meant was to build a scope/duct beside the rad and force air right to the turbo body. Mine sure makes a lot more power when it get real cold out side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:51 pm 

has any of you T3 guys gutted the pre-cat at the turbo outlet yet? This will help reduce some of the heat build-up plus allow more flow out of the turbo. I know my spare motor's turbo cat was about 80% plugged and thus restricting flow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:17 pm 

There's a pre-cat at the turbo outlet? You mean the one after the downpipe that is positioned underneath the car? I took apart my turbo and only noticed a (tiny) downpipe after the turbo... Speaking of which, anybody make a bigger downpipe for the T3? one that clears the rad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:13 pm 

turbo3newbie wrote:
anybody make a bigger downpipe for the T3? one that clears the rad?

talk to jess. i'm sure that he can make one for you. of course i'm sure that he'll try to sell you a nice hand made turbo mani too! hehehehehehehe

he loves getting e-mails.

jardamuth@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:58 pm 

No need to make something.Go to your local speed shop,or exhaust shop and ask for a 4 bolt header collector.The bolt pattern is 3 15/16" which is almost identical to the 100mm bolt pattern on our outlets,and the sealing dia. is exactly the same.You can then buy,or have bent a 90 degree piece of tubing in 2-2 1/2" to go under the pan,and weld it on to the collector.I have one on my Mk1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:36 am 

Great idea!! Thanks!! How does it withstand the heat of turbo application? Will I see an increase in boost/decrease in lag? You rock, Superf1y!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:54 pm 

When I did it on my Mk1 car,it made little difference,but when installed on the Mk2,it raised boost from 7.5 to 10psi.I reccomend a 2" exhaust with cat,and good quality(non louvered)glasspack in place of the stock resonator,and no muffler.Thats what I have on the Mk2,its quiet,and sounds real good.The Mk1 is the same but 2 1/4".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:47 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Quote:
of course i'm sure that he'll try to sell you a nice hand made turbo mani too!

Huh? are you talking about that one?

The major problem is that with your stock IHI RHB32, you're trying to squeeze more juice out of a bone dry lemon. This little 8g mitsubishi will keep the compressor side much cooler due to a larger center cartridge. Will start to spool around 1500 and it can easily handle 180hp too. I wish I still had my turbo3 to play around with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:27 pm 

Ohhh!!! you still got the jig for that manny Jard? How much would you want for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:34 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Yep I still have the gig, I alway wanted to make a nice Turbo3 manifold. Here's how it look like installed with his downpipe on a somewhat dirty turbo3 engine. E-mail me if you have any questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:55 pm 
Suzuki Elder

jardamuth,

that turbo header is a thing of beauty! 8)

is that the rig you were telling me about in email? how much have you changed the physical position of the turbo from the original mounting? have you designed this with a front mount intercooler in mind?

what fuel management mods would be required to make 180 hp?

best regards, richard

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:55 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Thanks Mr ragtop :)

Quote:
how much have you changed the physical position of the turbo from the original mounting?

The rig is an adaptor to get rid of the stock oil filter just so the turbo can be fitted lower for a more convenient runner lenght. Fewer bents = more laminar flow. Note that the turbo is centered between cyl #1 & #3 for more efficiency. The rig (or block adapter) allow you to install a remote oil filter w/oil cooler, wich is a good thing nonetheless. The compressor outlet is aimed this way from factory. You can choose to keep the stock turbo3 intercooler or install a front mount, your choice.

Quote:
what fuel management mods would be required to make 180 hp?

180 HP ....it would be serious business. Those are 3cyl engine remember, not even DOHC. To achieve this 180 hp goal you would need:

- Freshly rebuilt engine with decked head/block and studs for 90lb/ft of torque
- Bigger injectors (330cc +)
- Piggy back computer (apexi)
- Upgraded fuel pump (155lhp and +)
- Colder plugs
- Extensive headwork & porting
- Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
- 2 1/4" exhaust line
- Boost controler
- Blow off valve
- FMIC or DSM intercooler for better volumetric efficiency.

And of course, a 8G or bigger turbo. The mitsu would be at the edge for 180 hp but it would spool much sooner than some other turbos. The round shaped runners allow you to enlarge the ports and increse flowing efficiency of the head in very efficient way. The runner's ports on the manifold are square for now but can easily be changed into a round or oval shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:35 am 

if you have not already done so, please take a bow.

man that thing is nice! or should i say... ..evil!