TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm 

I installed a new O2 sensor today. I found it on craigslist for $10 USD so I thought it was about time. The one I pulled out was pretty crusty and a different style of tip than the one I bought. I didn't take any pics of the one I installed before I installed it, but here is basically the difference I saw...

The top one is like the one I pulled out and the bottom is like the one I put in. The tip anyway...

The difference was immediate and positive. The car doesn't stumble and miss like it used to when I gave it any more than half throttle. It actually pulls smoothly up to at least 5k.

It also seems I have developed a bit of a coolant leak. The top of the transmission is covered with coolant and I suspect one of the heater hoses to be the culprit. That should be an easy fix. On to the pics...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:35 pm 

After really looking at the amount of work involved with bringing this chassis back to something I would like to drive daily, it seemed logical to go a different route...

I happened upon this on craigslist and bought it for $200 USD...

Got to get it home....

...and give it a little bath.

Oh and I can't resist teh photoshopzzz

I will be swapping all the goodies over from the red car and freshening everything up along the way. I have new hatch struts, new shock/struts and H&R lowering springs, new steering bits, and some front LCAs. I would like to put the 95+ vented disc front brakes on the car, not only because of the turbo power, but because I plan on having extra weight in the car often(at least a passenger and some luggage).

In other news, the turbo wastegate seems to have given out on the RHB32. I can no longer build much/if any boost and there is no flutterdump when I shift. I'm still researching on what I need to do for a replacement turbo. I have a friend that can probably fabricate a manifold and downpipe so that is no issue. I would like to stay with the factory ecu so I want as much of a direct replacement as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:25 pm 

Well I guess my diagnosis was all wrong. The turbo is fine but the catalytic converter died and plugged up the exhaust to the point that the motor just couldn't breath enough on boost. I broke out all the catalyst and all is well.

Spent yesterday cleaning out the floor of the new car. Found a leak in the windshield. The water was pooling in the passenger footwell area under the carpet and molded the carpet pretty bad. I have new carpet on the way and plan to add some sound deadening in certain areas before installing it.

Got some bits to help the handling a bit...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:00 pm 

Cleaning and more cleaning..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:38 am 

No more leaks! :)

Also started putting in the sound deadening...fatmat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:53 am 

Forgot to post these....

new hatch struts are new

The carpet I bought is semi-custom fit I guess...gonna be a little trimming and fitting to make it work...

The little turbo is running pretty good lately other than being a little stubborn to start once in a while...

I also got some 95+ knuckles, brakes, and rear sway bar out of the junkyard the other day. I plan on doing the suspension and brakes all at once. I need to round up a 30mm socket for the axles and possibly one new axle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:25 pm 

[quote="XAWAX"]Forgot to post these....

new hatch struts are new

If you need the plastic piece that goes on the inside of the hatch, let me know. I have in in your interior colour.

Followed your post over from GMF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:17 pm 

Thanks dover, but this blue car actually had a complete interior. It's all in a box right now waiting to be cleaned and re-installed.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:13 am 

The sound deadening is pretty time consuming and I'm starting to get a little sloppy with it...

Pulled some 95+ hubs/brakes from the junkyard. From what I have read on the interwebs, these should bolt up and work with the 89-94 axles and brake lines.

I ran out of time at the yard and will have to go back for the rear drums with the M12 studs.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:25 am 
a.k.a Bum head

Why not just buy new drums and get yourself some new bearings and a couple of new spacers? Shouldn't be terribly expensive, plus you wouldn't need to use old shoes.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 pm 

The hub is really what I'm after, because of the larger m12 studs. If I wasn't planning on putting 14" wheels and a spacer/adapter on it and making in corner a bit to suit my driving habits, I wouldn't even bother with the rear at all.

I paid $40 per side hub/brakes/knuckle for the front knuckles.

New 95+ hubs are about $100 each so I think that it makes more sense just to use junkyard rear hubs. The drums themselves are just a hunk of metal that I don't think would EVER wear out on a light little geo, so reusing rear drums probably isn't an issue. I would get new shoes however. Bearings would be good idea as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:14 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

There are no hubs on the rear. The bearings press into the drum and then fit onto the rear spindles. You shouldn't need to replace the rear knuckles to do the swap.

Or, as an alternative, knock out the M10 studs, drill to fit some M12 studs into the existing drums and press in the new studs, if you're looking for an even less expensive option.

Or said another way: the studs are pressed directly into the brake drums, there are no hubs under the drums.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:16 pm 

I see. I will take a look at it when I install the rear sway bar. I might do the drill and re-stud method.

Thanks for the info CJDavE

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:53 pm 

I've been doing alot of work on the geo lately, but haven't had time to post or take many pics unfortunately. Here is what I have...

I took the dash out and will be swapping my gray dash into the blue car. It will be much easier to swap the pedal assemblies as well. That is pretty much the next thing I will do; prep everything for the pedal swaps.

All this came out...

During the process...I got soooooo sunburned during this.

the difference in static spring height on the front H & R springs compared to stock.

test fitting 18's just for fun..

and back on the ground...

tires are huge so it looks dumb, but they aren't the wheels I will be running...

I'm gearing up for the actual drivetrain swap soon. Next week or the weekend after maybe..

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:25 am 

Did a little work this weekend. Still have a little to do before going ahead with the swap. My other car is now ready for daily duty while I do the swap, so I may start pulling the red car apart this weekend...

Dash out and pulled the upper engine harness and ecu out...

Also pulled the brake pedal...

Bought a can of this to shoot into the fenderwells and possibly a little on the back of the fenders...

Dumb little video...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:48 pm 

That blue shell looks nice! Too bad it's an automatic, drilling the spot welds out of that passenger side mount sucks!

Honorable mention: 61 ford falcon money pit, 90 5.0 Lincoln LSC coupe with emotional attachment, supercharged teal 99 F150 for carrying firefly parts, and a black turbo volvo wagon with a dog gate to use every day.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:00 am 

Thanks Streetvan1! Who likes maroon cars anyway right? lol

Update: A couple friends and I did the swap last weekend. Yes, the motor mounts were a little bit of a chore, but the motor is in the car now and sitting pretty. I tried to take alot of pics, but it will take a bit to upload and post them. I also have a video that I plan to upload. There is still a bunch of stuff to do before I can drive it, but I will post when I get a chance.

Teaser...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:00 pm 

Getting closer, but still tons to do before fire it up...

Among other things, I pulled a few pounds of pine needles out the cowl area lol...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:45 pm 

Basically started with unhooking anything that was connected to the chassis from the engine...as well as dismantling the interior. The entire wiring harnesses and pedal assemblies will need to be swapped over.

Don't forget about the throttle cable or the shift linkages when yanking motors! :huh:

...aaand out. The picture I posted above was after I pressure washed it. I could have spent more time here, but really wanted to drop the motor back it the same day. There is lots of room around these engines in the bay, so if I decide to make it cleaner, I can do it later in the car.

This is the driver side motor mount on the automatic cars...

...and this is the one on the manual cars. I ended up drilling the spot welds and removing the mount from the blue car, and then just welding the black bracket in and bolting the mount through the frame rail. Since there was no blind nut on the automatic frame to bolt into, we welded a big washer and nut to the frame from the wheel side and then bolting as usual.

The passenger side mount was about an inch further back (I think this was due to the a/c components) than the red car. Instead of drilling out and moving this mount, we just decided to modify the mount instead.

As stated above, the cowl had tons of crap in it, so I decided to clean that on Sunday. I am going to paint the cowl plastic and the wipers at the same time, whenever we get some dry weather.

Before:

After:

I also had time to pull all the wiring out of both cars and install the clutch cable, killswitch, and pedal assemblies this past Sunday.

Put her away for a couple more days...back to the tall grass with ye!

Sorry for the shittay cell pics

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:11 pm 

and a quick vid...

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 am 

Love it :alien:

Great soundtrack.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:46 pm 

Thanks teeth! a little infected mushroom for ya! lol

Quick question:

Does the small vacuum line from the throttle body to the charcoal canister supposed to have a small metal, brass looking, restrictor inside of it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:27 pm 

A lot has happened since the last update.

The drivetrain swap went well and it runs and drives and has all the plugs under the dash in the right place with all the right plugs. All the lights and switches work. I didn't even know there was a sensor for the key in the ignition and also one for the lights being on. Both I have never heard from the red car. Lol

I finally picked up some new axle seals. Since I upgraded to a 95+ knuckle and brakes, but still using my pre-95 axles, I needed some pre-95 axle seals to put in the 95 knuckles. I finally got some and installed them. My friend helped me with welding washers onto the struts so I could use the eibach camber bolts and have it actually stay where you put it.

We were able to get -5 degrees of camber on each side before bottoming out the knuckle against the strut using this method. That is within spec and I can live with it for now since this car's main purpose is still economy. We tried to set the toe as close to zero as we could.

Everything bolted up and tightenend down, I took it for a drive. Soon as I pulled out of the driveway onto the street I knew something was wrong. After a little process of elimination, it was as I thought. BAD WHEEL BEARINGS! They are toast! So I had to park it and leave it while I find some bearing and pull everything back apart and put them in. Since I have to do that, I may take my time and actually strip and paint the knuckles and get some new brake pads and maybe a rebuild kit or two for the calipers.

Getting anxious to drive it at this point. The suspension did feel quite nice and it sits right with the h & r springs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:30 pm 

I removed the knuckles on Thursday and installed them this weekend with the new bearings.

I bought some Koyo brand bearing for the knuckles. We will see how they hold up. My buddy cleaned up my knuckles at his work and pressed in the new bearings for me. I was kind of a bonehead about the outer seals and didn't get any. We just reused the old seals. I put a quick coat of silver metallic paint on them. The paint pigment is stainless steel particles so it has great corrosion resistance.

Installed...

Back to daily driving duty...

I'm pleased with the ride as well as the new braking feel. It feels like much more of a car now in terms of stability, ride quality, and security.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:10 pm 

Nice work. Watching for updates. Do you plan on swpping over the lower bumper too from the red car to the blue one? Not sure what body kit or whatever it came from. Also, exactly how many different sets of rims/tires do you own? Almost each time you share pics, there's a different set on either car. :D

'94 Metro LSi 'Green Machine'
'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next