TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 pm 

Hello everyone. I was at work yesterday and started thinking about how hard it was to find a scrapped sprint in my area let alone a turbo. Im on the east coast btw. I was wondering if anyone knew where I cound find the production numbers or, more importantly, the import number of the turbo sprints. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:45 pm 

IIRC it was around ~10,000 a year '87-'88 so around 20,000. Someone on this board probably has more exact numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:07 pm 

I wonder if anyone has these numbers: Turbo #'s -v- all other models, or #'s for each of the models.

I'm trying to get Classic Car insurance for my 87 Turbo and there are issues showing a valuation of $3-5k.

For one thing, Nadaguides shows a High Retail 87 Base Mode at $2150 with the Turbo at $2225 which is only $75 more. That is insane and clearly NG #'s are meaningless.

They also show a High Retail 1991 Metro 5-door at $1700 and change where I would expect the opposite. They are all "Cultus" and a newer generation is worth more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:36 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

I'd pay more for a turbo model of any car even if it was a couple of years older vs a newer non-turbo model. So their values are appropriately different. Would I pay more than $3000 for a Turbo Sprint/Firefly? Probably not. There are other cars that are a better bang for your buck that aren't almost 30 years old.

And that's where they're coming from.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:52 pm 

Yes, the Turbo Sprint should be worth more than the Metro, however a Base Sprint being $2150 and a Metro $1750? That is way out of line.

I think the Turbo Sprint should be worth $3000-3500 if in excellent condition. If it gets into weird, off the showroom floor condition, I'd say $5000 or more. Of course, does such a specimen even exist?

I'm trying to establish just how rare the TS is. So total Sprint #'s and then TS #'s to get the ratio.

Then where to get an appraisal and how would someone even attempt one giving there is basically no sales information and only bogus #'s at NADA and Kelly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:05 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Numbers should be on here somewhere, since I know I've seen them. Wish I knew where to point you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:51 am 

groovysomethin wrote:
Hello everyone. I was at work yesterday and started thinking about how hard it was to find a scrapped sprint in my area let alone a turbo. Im on the east coast btw. I was wondering if anyone knew where I cound find the production numbers or, more importantly, the import number of the turbo sprints. Thanks.

Ive only ever seen one turbo sprint in a junkyard . It was at crazy rays in Jessup about 10 or so years ago. There was one at a yard in PA that used to be called sniders that had one scrapped in the early 90s . It was still mostly complete , but again it was almost a decade ago. Its hard to find a metro with usable parts on it these days. But if you had a GM W-body car the parts are endless. I would love to see your sprint somtime , I live like 20 mins from elkridge .

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:50 pm 

Rats, I'm on the wrong side, I'm in Jeannette which is about 40 min East of Pittsburgh.

I'm also starting to wonder who would actually have the experience to appraise an 87 Turbo ???

No club.

Which leaves vendors. Is 3-Tech Performance perhaps the top (only?) "Cultus" G10 vendor? maybe they would know someone? (I know a guy.... haha)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:13 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Antiques Roadshow? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:25 pm 

I still would like to know how rare these cars are, but the driving force for this inquiry has dissipated:

I was working on trying to get appraisal for Classic Car Insurance.

2 CCI's valued car around $2k

Hagerty had a ton of pricing sources, in fact, I was told there is a Turbo Sprint "in Hemmings" for $44k. Yep, fourty four thousand dollars. Of course we both thought that was unrealistic. But he saw "lots of sales in the $3-5k range."

Their rates are good and they actually have rates for Carports.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:10 am 

I read on this site a few years ago that there was 4000 white and 8000 red 87/88 Turbo Sprints sold in the U.S. and a lot of them were sold on the west coast.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:46 am 

So that is 12k cars renowned for rusting away as you watched them.

I should have initially asked for the total #'s because the ratio also indicates the scarcity. (Should be a small percentage because they didn't import the Gen 2, but then, it could be the EPA which would really suck. In fact, 12k sounds like a large percentage... I'm sticking with EPA BS.)