TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:36 pm 
@ssclown

Is it possible to remove the cylinder head from an '87 or '88 turbo without removing the exhaust manifold, turbocharger, intake manifold or throttle body from the cylinder head? I have a little shop crane so lifting the weight isn't the issue, the issue would be whether all those parts still attached to the cylinder head would clear the block and all the other stuff in the engine bay during the lift.

Has anybody done this?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:42 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Short answer: yes.

Should you: probably not.

It becomes difficult to re-seat the head correctly with all the bits hanging off of it. You run the chance of wasting a head gasket and your time.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:46 pm 
@ssclown

CJDavE wrote:
You run the chance of wasting a head gasket and your time.

With my dismal success record on the last two aluminum cylinder head gasket replacements I did its highly likely I'm going to waste a head gasket and my time anyway. So based on your yes I'm going to go for it, at least it'll minimize the time I waste if the gasket still leaks.

And thankyou for the answer, it saves me possibly wasting my time with fruitless experimentation.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:13 pm 

I have done it several times on both Mk1, and Mk2's with no problems.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:54 pm 

Yes Superfly, YOU could probably pull this off. For the rest of us who Can't walk on water and aren't card carrying members of Swift equivalent of the justice league. Probably should never attempt this. (Please take my comments from the perspective of Awe and respect, Not anger and sarcasm. :D :D ) Your reputation is one of being "strong in the force" when it comes to automotive conjuring. Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:23 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

@CoasterII:

The only time I've had a head gasket that I've installed fail on any vehicle was when I accidentally dropped the head on the block and tried the gasket anyway. Granted I always took off everything except maybe the exhaust manifold on a couple of occasions.

Do what you want, but something tells me that your technique and/or prep methods and perhaps some bad habits and lack of patience have already doomed you to failure. Maybe you should take your time and do it right for a change.

I sound like an old man trying to tell my younger self to get my shit together. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:34 pm 
@ssclown

////////////////////////////////////

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:53 pm 
@ssclown

CJDavE wrote:
@CoasterII:

Do what you want, but something tells me that your technique and/or prep methods and perhaps some bad habits and lack of patience have already doomed you to failure. Maybe you should take your time and do it right for a change.

The only bad habits and lack of patience I have involve hot chicks in their early twenties and not engine rebuilding.

I spent six weeks meticulously replacing a cylinder head gasket and getting the head done on my '88 toyota corolla only to have the f'n thing leak. I have 5 turbo '87 and '88 sprint/forsas/fireflies and 3 non turbo sprints and forsas all with head gaskets I've blown and I intend to replace the head gasket on each one of them ( dvorak no blow ) in no more than one day for each and out of the eight I'm sure some will hold. And if any of the heads are warped to the point they need machining I'll just swap in one of the four spare engines I have instead ( 2 turbo and 2 carbed).

You've already said the head can be pulled with the intake, turbo, etc. left on, can I also leave on that cast iron chamber bolted to the turbo that contains the pre cat biscuit and just disconnect at the exhaust pipe?

And, BTW, I've never had a problem with any head gasket I replaced on engines with cast iron blocks and cast iron cylinder heads.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:16 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

I took the turbo off and left it attached with the downpipe and exhaust once. I might have tried it leaving the turbo on as well. I just found it entirely too easy to have some random coolant drip on the nice clean gasket or have a random hose or wire pinch itself under the head to leave the intake bits on.

Plus it's difficult to properly clean the sealing surface of the head with all the crap attached as well.

I find it hard to believe that any of your heads will be warped enough to cause a failed gasket. I ran one of my engines completely out of coolant once and didn't realize it since the temp gauge didn't register the fact that I had no coolant running by it for at least 10 mins with highway driving and still had no issue with it later on. Granted that's a really small sample size. :lol:

I'm pretty sure that if you take an afternoon for each engine and do the replacement properly each time, you should have every one of those engines up and running with no issues. An hour doesn't give you enough time to do things right. If you feel like throwing money away, I can save you the time of even bothering with the gaskets and just give you my PayPal address. I'll gladly find something to spend it on and even send you pictures of the random (or not so random) crap I'd buy. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:05 pm 
@ssclown

CJDavE wrote:

I find it hard to believe that any of your heads will be warped enough to cause a failed gasket. I ran one of my engines completely out of coolant once and didn't realize it since the temp gauge didn't register the fact that I had no coolant running by it for at least 10 mins with highway driving and still had no issue with it later on.

That's good to hear because I thought maybe the heads were ruined by overheating and these heads are getting hard to come by and I'd prefer not to have to machine any material off them. I'm pretty sure the gaskets blew on each car because all of them were repeatedly driven with the accelerator floored for 20 or 30 minutes and lots of hard acceleration and they all have more than 200 thousand or 300 thousand kilometers on them.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:29 pm 
@ssclown

suprf1y wrote:
I have done it several times on both Mk1, and Mk2's with no problems.

That's very encouraging to learn that somebody with your level of knowledge and experience has done head removals the same way I'm planning to.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:30 pm 

well, its not that bad on a NA sprint. i usualy remove exhaust, and disconnecto all hoses and wires then pull off with intake still attached. eaiser that way.

just take ur time and use lots of PB blaster or some other penetrating oil.

-vernon wasser-

88 sprint, 4dr sold :(
87 turbo 2dr, never ran :( :(
86 sprint, 2dr current DD! :)