TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: aftermarket turbos
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:10 pm 

Hey guys, got a question for you all.

I'm helping my buddy get a turbo engine into his n/a Firefly. So far I have found him a turbo engine with all the manifolds and electrics. Pretty much everything except for the turbo itself. Now I'm not really limited to the stock turbo since I'll be building my own piping and exhaust.

So my question is, what are some relatively inexpensive turbocharger options for this build?

Post subject: Re: aftermarket turbos
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 pm 
Suzuki Elder

t25, rhb5, tco4, ko3 or ko4.

get one that dumps the exhaust on the driver's side and has the cold side on the passenger's side.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:26 pm 

t25, rhb5, tco4, ko3 or ko4

How do they compare to the original RHB32? and will they mount on the stock manifold? I'm looking too.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the rhb32 is a tiny turbo with wheels about the size of a chips ahoy cookie. the low spinning mass lets them spool with a whisper of exhaust and boost begins shortly above idle.

i'm not aware of another turbo, maybe a newer style ball bearing type, that spools as quickly on a 1 liter engine.

also, i'm not aware of any other turbo that's a bolt on replacement for the turbo3. any replacement turbo will need an exhaust manifold that will support it.

honestly, the log style stock turbo manifolds, mk1 and mk2, are pretty inefficient designs. they work for what they are but they aren't ideal. if you want improvement, get out your wallet or your welder. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:40 pm 
@ssclown

t3 ragtop wrote:
, that spools as quickly :wink:

What, precisely, does "spools" mean? I see the word used all the time in articles about turbos but I don't really know what it means. I tried googling it, but as is so often the case, got a gazillion results about all kinds of stuff, which is pretty much useless for answering my question. Also, what does "spools up" mean? I see that phrase used all the time too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 am 

"Spooling" is turbo slang, and it means 'spinning up to a speed where it builds boost.'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:47 pm 
@ssclown

Thanks Joe in Ottawa, I appreciate you explaining that. I never knew anything about turbos until I noticed an '88 turbo Forsa on Craig's List for cheap and bought it for kicks since I already had a couple of carburetted Mk1s and I was pissed off that in traffic at freeway speeds if the car in front of me accelerated some prick from the other lane would usually cut in front of me into the gap that formed because a carburetted Mk1 didn't have the acceleration when it was already going 110 or 120 Km/h to keep up with the accelerating car in front. And there's lots of pricks out here driving pick up trucks who love being an asshole and cutting in front of tiny little Mk1s. ( Lots of people drive like idiots and assholes in B.C. because we have a no choice mandatory communist insurance scam called ICBC) But with a turbocharger a Mk1 can stay glued to the rear bumper of any car accelerating in traffic and those fat assed goofs in their overweight shitboxes have to stay in their own lane. And they quite often get irate when its a tiny little Mk1 that's keeping them in their place. So I LOVE turbo Mk1s.

Up until I scooped up that turbo Forsa my idea on turbos was to steer clear because I thought they were complex, which on an older car means trouble, but now I that I've gotten into the turbo experience I realize that turbochargers are dead simple with essentially one moving part so now I own five turbo Mk1s.( and a gutted carburetted Mk1 with everything needed to turn it into a turbo piled into it) As the guy who sold me that first turbocharged Forsa said, " Once you've driven a turbo, you'll never go back. "

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:10 am 

coasterII wrote:
Thanks Joe in Ottawa..." Once you've driven a turbo, you'll never go back. "

No problem. And that guy was right: This is my third turbocharged car, the previous ones being a Chrysler Daytona ES (that I loved), and Eagle Talon (that I alternately loved and hated, depending on what was broken on any given day).

Have to tell you, though, you're spoiled starting with a Forsa: Of all my turbos, my MK2 Sprint has been the most fun and worry-free. Can never find parts for it, but then, I seldom need to.

Joe