TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:07 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RHB31 vs RHB32
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:02 am 

Can anyone offer any insight into the difference between these two turbos? Has this already been discussed somewhere I could not find?

Joe

Post subject: Re: RHB31 vs RHB32
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:06 pm 

Do some searching. This stuff has been covered many times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:54 pm 
@ssclown

If you use the search term "RHBH32" and check only the Mk1 Mk2 turbo cars you will get nine pages of results which are well worth reading. Some of it is even written by SuprF1y.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:28 pm 

Here, hope you're not busy for a while

http://forums.delphiforums.com/turbo3ha ... ing+%3E%3E

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:07 pm 
Suzuki Elder

hey! look mike, it's our old hangout! =)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 pm 

Explain this one:

I opened up the new 3tech email account through rocketmail about a year ago, and now I'm getting monthly emails from Delphi forums asking why I'm not posting on Turbo3 haven :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:29 am 
@ssclown

suprf1y wrote:
now I'm getting monthly emails from Delphi forums asking why I'm not posting on Turbo3 haven :lol:

So, why aren't you posting on Turbo3 haven? If you start posting on Turbo3 haven then maybe the monthly emails will stop. Or maybe they won't.

As a starter post you may want to try this, " . " , and see what happens. ( I mean try posting the period and nothing else).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:30 am 
@ssclown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:32 am 
@ssclown

In answer to Joe in Ottawa's original question I've been doing a fair bit of searches over the past few years about IHI RHB32s and IHI RHB31s both here on Teanswift and on Google and if I'm remembering correctly I seem to recall reading the following:

1) I think I remember reading a post by Mr. t3 ragtop ( USN ret'd.) wherein he stated he had once had an IHI RHB31 in his possession and he discovered it did not bolt up to the intake manifold for the IHI RHB32s found on our G10 engines because the flange and opening on the RHB31 are smaller than the corresponding flange and opening on the RHB32 manifold. I'm not 1000 percent certain that's exactly what I read but I'm pretty sure that's about right. You need to either acquire the RHB31 manifold or fabricate a manifold in order to use the RHB31 on a G10 engine.
I could never envision myself wasting my time in such an exercise because why would I waste my time putting an RHB31 with a smaller opening, and therefore less flow, on my car when the Suzuki engineers who designed my car, and know far more about turbocharging than I ever will, decided to put the RHB32 with its larger opening, and therefore higher volume flow, on it?

2) I also seem to recall reading that the RHB31 turbocharger only came on the very earliest (circa. 1984 maybe?) Mark1s and that these were the ones that used the RHB31 turbocharger to cram compressed air into a tin box built around a carburetor rather than cramming compressed air into an electronic petrol injection (EPI) throttle body as is found on the later, and more technologically advanced, 1987 and 1988 Mark1 turbo cars. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that or something fairly similar to it. I'm also pretty sure I remember reading that those very early RHB31 turbocharged carburetted MK1s were only available in Australia. And, I guess, presumably Japan.

That's all I seem to recall about RHB31s versus RHB32s at the moment but that information alone, assuming I've remembered it correctly, is enough to know that replacing an RHB32 with an RHB31 is a downgrade in performance and a waste of time. A person would only make such a swap, I guess, if their RHB32 was totally unrepairable junk and they got an RHB31 and its intake manifold for nothing or next to nothing and there was no way they could locate a good used or rebuilt or new RHB32.
If you search for it you will find one of Jamal Spelling's fairly recent "Look what I just got!" posts where he describes, with pictures too, acquiring a brand new IHI RHB32 from IHI America. He paid, I think, about 1200 bucks for it. To get a brand new one in Canada, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the cost were closer to 2000 bucks because of all the money those homos who work for the government steal from hard working Canadians in the form of taxes, duties and tariffs so they can throw our hard earned money away to all those parasite deadbeats, fruitcakes and unionized public sector bums who collect a cheque from our so called Government every two weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 am 

As suggested, I did go back and read the various posts, and (Coaster is quite correct), I discovered that the '31 is not an option for me. So I am still looking for a '32 or something else that might bolt onto the exhaust manifold and work properly. Jess from Turbine Tech has graciously offered up a potential solution for me, which, although very spendy, is also very interesting. Ideally, I'd like to find a cheaper alternative so I can pull together a few more sheckels for Jess' all-out upgrade, though, so I may just go with welding up my current one and saving my pennies.