TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:37 pm 

just started having trouble with my 1987 turbo sprint,weather got colder yesterday now car is hard starting and wont idle. also stalls when trying to pull out,can anyone help me figure this problem out.ran perfectly day before. car has about 114000 miles. thanks in advance. george

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:39 pm 

georgemilchick wrote:
just started having trouble with my 1987 turbo sprint,weather got colder yesterday now car is hard starting and wont idle. also stalls when trying to pull out,can anyone help me figure this problem out.ran perfectly day before. car has about 114000 miles. thanks in advance. george

Intake air temp sensor an/ or maf id imagine. see if the thing is hanging up the flapper door that is maybe its iced up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:46 pm 

pulled it in heated garage yesterday,went and tried it today and it ran perfect. just don't want to take it out and get stranded. not sure what maf flapper door is? but nothing was wet under hood. ill keep you up dated to what happens. thanks george

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:07 pm 

I'm having the same problem with my MK1 N/A.

It runs fine when warm.

Weird thing is when I drive my Temp goes down due to the cold weather and idle starts to drop. (I removed all my A/C components before it got cold.)
So now there is nothing blocking the air coming in now (a/c condenser removed) . So just cold air blasts my tiny 3 banger. I thought maybe a carb problem. Till I saw your post. It's been driving me crazy try'n to figure this out. I'm just thinking that the engine is so small and getting blasted with cold air is dropping the engine temp.

I get stalls when I make a hard turn or stop hard or after running it on the high way, exiting then slowing down. Don't have this problem when car is at op temp. I even thought idle but that isn't it either.

So I think the question for me is how do we keep this tiny engine warm enough in cold weather? Maybe buy it a parka?

1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 4cyl 1590cc (Daily)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 pm 
Suzuki Elder

try installing the front splash pan from a non-a/c sprint. it mounts to the upper and lower radiator supports to replace the a/c heat exchanger and fan.

that will keep the air off the block.

from the description of your symptoms i would take a look at the vaf spring tension and mounting position. you may also have a failing cold start thermo valve causing problems with cold engine fuel enrichment.

typically, as engine coolant temp drops the clt sensor's resistance should change to modify fuel injection but it shouldn't cause the engine to stall.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II