TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:36 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:08 am 

Anyone have a shop manual that shows the connecting rod length for a 1987 Turbo Sprint? Need the dimension for an analysis I am doing. Just to be clear, this is the center of the big end to the center of the little end, not the overall length.

PM to: drmayf@mayfco.com

many thanks!

larry

204.913 mph flying mile
210.779 mph exit speed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:39 pm 

That question was answered in the last thread you started.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:24 am 

Interesting, to say the least. I have checked every post and reply that I had received on any and all of my requests for information and for the life of me, I cannot find where I asked about connecting rod length. I asked a lot of dumb questions for sure but I do not find an answer to a question it seems I never asked. I asked about aftermarket rods once, and lots of other dimensions for turbo and head stuff, but I didn't find the one you imply.. Can you simply tell me the number? Or even the message number? I even went so far as to search the available data base for connecting rod length before asking the question on con rod length, and out of all the messages and forums I searched, didn't find the answer.

For any and all that may have some interest, I did finally obtain the speeds in the Sunbeam I wanted. I made it go 204.913 for a full flying mile average and a 210.779 mph top speed at the exit timing trap, i.e., I was still accelerating. My wife, as I mentioned in one post, told me she did not want to drive a car on the salt. Since I do have some medical conditions, I took 2 years off to rest a bit, and a couple of weeks ago, I sold the Chevy Sprint to a local fellow who also has racing aspirations for the car. I do have a possible need and use for a 3 cylinder short block and will ask if anyone has one for sale, as soon as I can make an analysis for the possible power output.

But, first, I sure would like the connecting rod length, lol. Or even a rod/stroke ratio would do. Since I do have the stroke already.

Again, many thanks for the help!

larry

210.779 mph exit speed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:32 pm 

Here

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:07 pm 

Well, I must be blind, stupid, and dumb all at the same time. I looked at every piece of that information in the whole thread and never once found the connecting rod length or rod / stroke ratio. If it is there could you tell me what it is? I think I found it on another source but I want confirmation. Then I will for sure leave this forum alone. My wife is plenty enough to call me an idiot, lol... don't need strangers pointing it out to me.

the number I have is 4.957 inches for the con rod length. Very nearly 126 mm.

Thanks to all who have tried to help me, I appreciate it.

By the way, for anyone interested, I posted a pdf presentation of the run I made in 2010, on my web site, which is a lot friendlier, under the Alpine project. Just click and download for viewing. All free and no BS. Safe Site verified daily, no sales, no nothing, but info. And if you want to ask me a question I will do my best to answer it even if I have to do a lot of research. What else does a 72 going on 73 year old do?

http://www.mayfco.com

Again, Thanks!

larry

204.913 mph flying mile
210.779 mph exit speed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:36 pm 

Mr.Pipe wrote:
What sim are you using? I might have a G13BB 4 cylinder file that you could start with, and then start making changes. I don't think I ever did any 3 cylinder files...but if I get a chance, I'll did thru an old computer hard drive to see what's there.
Stock boost was 6.7 lbs by the way. Rod length 120mm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:51 pm 

Hi, what I am, was and still will be doing is to determine if the 3 banger is a good candidate as a donor as a steam power engine. The connecting rod length was needed to make the proper angle with the crank rod journal during a power stroke to get a constant pressure torque profile. I used a number for the rod length that I found somewhere, of 4.957 inches, and made my calculations. With this profile for torque then I was able to get a truer average torque values for my rpm ranges of interest. This project is only an analysis right now. I have a spread sheet set up where I can input car parameters for aero drag, gear ratio , tire size, car weights (fuel, driver, etc), and come up with a top speed achievable. It uses an operator input for mechanical losses as well. The result of the initial calculation is a rear wheel and flywheel hp number to meet the speed based on car parameters. I then calculate the engine rpm needed to get that speed if there is a high gear differential installed and the drive shaft is turning at engine speed. Once the rpm is found along with the flywheel hp needed, I can input bore and stroke and number of power strokes per rev of the crank and determine the steam or air pressure needed to get the HP. I have that working now. I just purchased a text, a very much later thermo text than I went to school with, that has a universal water equation of state so that with the known parameters I can compute the heat needed to boil the water to steam at the necessary conditions of dry saturated steam or perhaps a super heat condition. I plan on analyzing the requirements for full water reclamation for reuse. And I will analytically try several different fuels such as kerosene, diesel, propane, gasoline to provide the heat source. I used the torque data to determine the average HP at major rpm increments under a constant pressure operation up to 6250 rpm. Right now, the current FIA land speed steam record is about 148 mph. I have run calculations for 200 + mph speeds so far. I plan on using a mono tube boiler with a variable pressure pump or at least one that has a pressure relief which can be set to bypass unneeded water. Of course, its pressure has to be the same as the operating pressure. I had thought to use the small 1.0 L motor as a donor simply because it is small. And that means far less steam is needed. I do have an alternative 4 cylinder engine in mind in case this one turns out to be a bit too small. it is one of the Ford 2.0/2.3/2.5 L SOHC engines. In any case if this is carried further than just analysis then a new head will be fabricated with a steam valve system of my design.

I do thank you for the offer to use some of your simulation files, but happily they are not needed for this project! I would love to hear from any and all, off line to my PM email addy, if steam experience is available. I have zero, lol...

many thanks to all who responded!

drmayf@mayfco.com

Larry

204.913 mph flying mile
210.779 mph exit speed