TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:06 pm 

I have been chasing a misfire with my 87 sprint turbo motor. I've changed and checked just about everything. Finally got around to checking the distributor and sure enough the vacuum advance was bad. I changed it with another I had and couldn't believe it cleared most of the misfire up. Checked the EGR valve and one side of it wasn't acting right so I changed it with another I had.
Now this motor is in a dune buggy and was not set up or installed by me. The electric EGR switch is there but has no wires running to it as if it was never hooked up. That is on my list of things to get to. For now I bypassed it and hooked up the EGR directly.
I started the motor gave it some gas and herd the turbo spool at a lower RPM than it had before. I attribute this to the fixed vacuum leaks.
It started smoking almost immediately and oil is dripping from the turbo.
I'm not sure where to go from here please point me in a direction. I will listen to you're suggestions and try what ever procedures may be recommended.
Thanks Edd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 pm 
Suzuki Elder

first, unhook the egr wiring that you added. the ecu controls the egr in the factory set up and the valve should not be open all the time. aside from the factory use of the egr, the next best thing would be to not use it at all. it's more of an emission control than an operating control.

second, it sounds like the turbo's oil seal is toast and the cartridge is spraying oil directly into the housing and exhaust. time for a new or good used ihi rhb32. :wink:

molested as it apparently is, on line troubleshooting will be more of a guessing game than anything else. who knows what the heck some shade tree wrench did to that turbo3 system? :huh:

one of the first things i'd look for would be the correct use of the water lines running to and from the turbo. i'm guessing that who ever built that buggy did not connect the water cooling lines and proceeded to run the dog snot out of the turbo. :roll:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:39 pm 

Thank you for the reply. I didn't wire up the EGR switch I just connected the vacuum hoses directly to it but will leave it unhooked from now on. Cooling lines do run to the turbo. For the most part it appears to be a clean install. It originally came with a geo non turbo motor.
The valve area of the motor is extremely clean and the compression on all cyls was around 179.i have no idea of mileage . I have only taken it out twice since owning it but there was no oil burn or water useage. I've idled it for many hours in the last month diagnosing and correcting issues and have had no burps out of the turbo.
Could it be the turbo wasn't working due to the vacuum leak and once that was fixed it blew from non use? Want to make sure I didn't do something wrong to make it blow.
So my next question is I'm more than mechanically inclined and know cars,motorcycles,boats ect but have no turbo experience can I change the seals myself? I can rebuild any engine with my eyes closed
( well at least one) and own just about any tool I may need.
Would there be a better turbo for this application? I know my way around a welder as well as a milling machine if that helps my options.
Is rebuilding it an option as there's a turbo shop around the corner from me.
Thank you for you're time teaching a Turbo newbie.
Edd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:01 pm 

My intentions were to hook the EGR switch up to the ecu. Am I better off now using it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:11 pm 

Just answered my own question regarding the turbo as to rebuilding it reading another post but am still curious about the cause of my failure and my EGR. Thanks Edd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:10 pm 

Sorry I know it seems like I'm rambling on.
As I don't have the size restrictions u would find on a car the Radiator ect,is there a better turbo option. Exhaust manifold is not an issue as I can Fabricate one to match the turbo.
Just trying to weigh all my options. Gonna pull it tomorrow and see what I got.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:22 pm 
Suzuki Elder

rebuilding that tiny turbo is rarely done and dynamic balancing is next to impossible.

the last time i saw an advertised price for re-conditioning an rhb32 it was over $600.

when i was burning through those oem turbos i always had my eye out for used ones.

an rhb5 from a mazda/ ford application, a t25 from a saab application, a tdo3, or a ko3 all make decent replacements. they don't spool at 1500 rpm like the teeny turbo but they tend to last longer. :blackeye:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:13 pm 

Got twitchy and pulled the turbo. The oil seems to be coming from where the hot/ manifold sige attaches to the middle section. The fan spins smoothly and not much oil in the very bottom just a wet look. The fan is dry. Checked the exhaust manifold on the engine and it was dry. Sooty but dry.
Just trying to wrap my head around what is actually wrong with it. The turbo itself is clean as it didn't spend it's life bolted to the front of a car exposed to the elements.
Thank you for the turbo options I will be sure to look into them. I assume I'd have to make an exhaust manifold with any of them?
Many thanks Edd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:36 pm 

So I've been reading up on turbo oil leakage. I read too much crank case pressure can cause leaking. This seems plausible for my situation as I had just fixed the vacuum leak and believe the turbo had just started working. What could the causes be of excessive crank case pressure be ?
I feel like this May be my issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:35 pm 

Took the turbo by a local turbo shop. Said it was just the seals and everything else looked good. Said it was a great candidate for a rebuild. So I ordered a rebuild kit and proceeded to take it apart while waiting for the kit. Broke 3 of the hot side bolts. Drilled them out and brazed studs on to it.
Had some cracking around the wastegate which I brazed closed and made a new seat for the waste gate with. Ground it down so it seats perfectly.
Than I proceeded to snap the main shaft. Guess the threads are reverse. Live and learn. Will be doing a turbo swap some time soon.
Edd