TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: whiteout
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:09 pm 

Hello again the good and bad.....

The good- mechanical rebuild went very successful. Turbo develops great pressure. I have set the valves by ear, and it was soundless. Idled like new. The saab 93 (2.0 liter) turbocharger worked out great. Ive reused almost all the parts from the saab. Was able to utilize a header into to collector pumpkin down pipe. Intake fit great. It actually has a secondary tube that comes directly into the turbine to i could make blow off close loop system. Oil supply like was made off the original banjo in the block to the banjo of the charger (I've tried to brace those two, but just ended up welding the lines (lol better welder than brazer).

The bad: Ive never connected the waste gate, just kept it closed...KABOOM, I have no idea how much pressure went into the jugs, but head gasket ate shit lols . i am sure that my timing slipping on distributor and the water burp did not help.

The good: It was shocking for mechanic shop in front of my apt. to see such of hillbilly curbside rebuild, and with respect they gave me a job :). I refused payroll, only per job- almost everyday and as it comes. It works prefect cuz midday to evening i still build 2stroke bikes at the other shop. Also another "my own table" including own garage makes it 3 locations for my experiments and a bandaid to AKA quarter life crises.

So i have been reading a lot here and there, and getting ready to make a second approach onto the head gasket issue. All bolts are replaced, and timing belt cover eliminated; it will be fast. I have read a lot about the procedure, and will definitely go different direction than stretch bolts and 54 pounds. Will use grade +/-12 and 100mm allen bolts with heat cycles. After heat cycle will completely loosening the head, and retightning based of the torque I've experienced releasing the bolts. Waste gate mounting is sorted now, and i will make sure that thermostat is out, and distributor is not moving.

yeah... so still bugging with sprint, but at least now i have a lift:). if the car works we will make it a shop car show vehicle, If it does not we will cut it half and put it on the roof (ill keep the engine inside to play with it)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:04 pm 

Make it run, you already put the luv in it.
Wish you were closer to lend a hand.

If not, I call 1st dibs on parts.
=)

I've got a looong list, so please check first before cutting in half.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:37 pm 

thanx jamal again good to hear a note from a person that has most documented build of the sprint on the net!.

so ive pulled the turbo manifold put, run it without it, and it was not smoking, but i could not rev it to develop the pressure it was stumbling.
Ive put the turbo back and it started smoking coolant.

Ive took the head off and the intake gasket was kind of crappy, I've used fiber gasket paper soaked in copper spray, but it might be the issue.

compression 145, 145, 145

spark 1 was whitish, 2 was good, 3 was oils

exhaust chamber #3 oily as well.

ive pulled the head off, and the gasket "feel pro" came out with separated graphite i could not trace leaks but it looked shitty all around. the rings on the gasket were compressed evenly but they were not compressed a lot (or at all)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:09 pm 

head redone with grade 12 bolts, 65pounds. Re torque twice in hot cycle, runs like lil monster. But turbo smoking like crazy. from hot side, as well shooting oil. is it shot or draining problem.
When i disconnect the drain its pouring like a faucet on low and smokes less. turbo is off 2.0 saab. Should i restrict the pressure on the intake of oil line, ,maybe oil pan draining problem.....or turbo seal toast?

ps: what psi of oil press this saab turbo can tolerate...i guess i am just gonna make inlet restriction bolt for oil banjo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:03 pm 

it was turbo smoking, but also the drain needed to burp unless i open up the vent on the valve cover. Should i vacuum the valve cover why is my case developing the positive pressure preventing drainage?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:03 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEGApR ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:22 pm 
Island Inbreeder

video wont play .... disappointed...... So I posted My smokey Chevy Sprint Turbo video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSE3oPKNUZg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:42 pm 

noooooo! i am getting flashbacks
ok i am "unprivating the vid:)

so i had to rebuild head twice. Second time used grade 12 hex from bolt depot. Heat cycle re-torqued to 75 pounds (stock calls 50 or so), and go through two saab turbochargers because the one i pulled to replace the original was smoking like your smokey. Valves are set loose, and i need to weld support brackets for radiator, intercooler and change control arms. The rebuild cost me 150 bucks including 2 saab turbos, ss valves, 3 angle valve job and 2 head gaskets, No fancy exhaust manifolds, its a rat build. Straight pipe with 2 cherry bombs in line. Cant wait to smoke all these vtechs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5dGmJi ... OnTheBlock