TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:03 am 

I have used this flexible stainless steel tube from Super a High Vacuum chamber ( made to withstand huge amounts of force and holds its shape) for about 2' of tubing from my intercooler to my throttle body. It has an internal diameter of 1 5/8ths not including the ribs. I have standard 1 3/4" OD ends welded to it.
I run a standard 1 3/4" OD from the turbo to the intercooler..
So I guess my questions are is the size of 1 5/8ths sufficient and will the flex tubing cause air flow issues? I've used it since I reinstalled the intercooler.
I'm about to start fabricating a hook up for my new BOV and figured I better ask about the tubing now and address it if need be.
Happy 4th to everyone
Thanks Edd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:04 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:07 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:57 am 
Suzuki Elder

actually, convoluted tubing is an air flow killer. the ribs shear away the outer flow at the walls and perturbs the air flow all the way to the center of the pipe.

you want the walls to be smooth and straight to achieve laminar flow. if there is a turn in the piping you want a straight run of at least 9 pipe diameters to allow flow to straighten out before entering the throttle body - a tough thing to do when space is very limited.

convoluted tubing is bad enough for a normally aspirated engine's induction piping but it seems like the higher the pressure and the higher the flow rate, the worse air flow is affected.

so, the answer to your question about the high temp stainless convoluted piping is, no, it's not a good selection for your charge air piping. smooth wall pipe is much better suited for pressurized air flow.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:04 pm 

Get your bad self down to West Marine and ask for boat exhaust rubber flex tubing, available in all common sizes up to V8 motors. Choose your inside diameter, choose how many feet you need, and you now have flexible, smooth wall, boostable, intake tubing. Be advised, the wall thickness is, well, thick, and thus the bend radius is not tight. But I managed to plumb a Mercury Capri intercooler to a 1.9 VW canadian diesel in a Suzuki Sidekick jeep and the boat tubing made life hugely easier. Have fun. Cheers.

F/S 89 Swift GTi body only
F/S 92 Tracker 2 dr rwd stock
93 Sidekick 4 dr 1.9 vw TD, WVO conversion, 6" lift over 33's

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:05 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i use these guys:

http://www.frozenboost.com/

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:48 am 

I never would have thought of exhaust hose. Good suggestion. I have a pile of old stainless motorcycle exhausts pipes that I'm able to cut and weld to get the desired bends I would need.
I'll have to wait until it is reassembled to make sure it fits good. I don't have a lot of room infront the intake manifold as the radiator is there but once it's together I'll be able to better evaluate my options.
Cam is on its way back to me so it won't be long now.
Edd