TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cts mod
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:35 pm 

I posted a similar question in the adding boost/nos section but no luck. Im curious if running a boost a pump could be similar to a hobbs switch with the cts mod. As i want to help out fueling above 7 psi but dont plan on exceeding 15psi. Id most likely still go larger injectors but only slightly so the spray pattern isnt as effected.

Any insight or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. Picked up my fully machined rotating assembly today along with full piping,intercooler, clutch and im sure ither stuff I'm forgetting. Ill be sure to get a build thread going

Post subject: Re: Cts mod
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:10 pm 

Quote:
Im curious if running a boost a pump could be similar to a hobbs switch with the cts mod.

I don't think I can accurately decipher your question, due to your curious grammar, but I think have
an idea what you're getting at.

You can hotwire the cold start injector to turn on with a hobbs switch. It will run pig rich,
but can prevent melting a piston. Though these motors are tough enough, you'd have to
be boosting the heck out of it and running really lean I suppose.

If you modify the fuel pressure, that will affect your injector spray pattern. If you switch to larger
injectors, don't worry so much about the spray pattern. Find the size injector based on your needs
after you determine what boost you will be running. It can be a trial and error, but you can sort
it out with a wideband A/F gauge monitoring conditions under actual running conditions.

The OE injectors are 210cc. I tried the cold start injector with a hobbs switch set and 5psi and
just ran rich under boost. Then went through a series of different size injectors while dialing
in my modded motor. I was told I needed 380 to produce 200hp and needlessly spent some
dough on some nice 5 oh injectors only to run way too rich under all conditions.
So started scouring Ebay for different size injectors, 245, 275 then finally 320cc was my
ticket to get the correct A/F ratio with the mods I had done and running 15psi max.
Dyno tests confirmed correct A/F ratio under full boost producing 125whp.

Used or reconditioned injectors were cheap enough to buy them at 30- to 60 bucks a set
until I got the right sized based on my needs. I used the wideband A/F gauge under actual
driving to determine my needs on a trial and error basis until I was satisfied.
Your needs will be different based on your boost and airflow, and you are running much of
the stock size intake tubing and I/C size so even though your turbo is bigger and you
may be upping the boost, it's also about how much air you can flow in and out to
determine your fueling needs and making it all work with the stock electronics.

The key is having that standalone A/F gauge giving you accurate info and using that
to determine your additional fueling needs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:37 am 

CTS mod, or the cold start injector will both work fine, but 5 psi is way too early to bring either one in. Stock fueling is fine to 10, so I would bring it in there. It will run rich, depending on how you do it, but the difference in power between rich and perfect is insignificant.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:02 pm 

Thanks thats great info on having a 10 psi hobbs.
What i was originally refering to was running a kenne bell boost-a-pump. seems very similar to the cts mod except it would wire directly to the pump and have handy adjustability. A user here with screen name "bigboost" used one for comparative dyno runs. Seems like it may be overkill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:25 pm 

Looks cool, but probably overkill for $300
You can get a Walbro for like $100
Unless your Dynoing some ridiculous HP, I wouldn't even consider it...
even then looks like these are designed for 600-1100+ HP cars.
You haven't even determined if you've exceeded the capacity of the
OE injectors yet.
I got the Walbro, bigger injectors and adjustable FPR..ended up going
with stock fuel pressure after all was said and done.
There's lots of better stuff to blow your wad on.
How's your suspension for starters?
3 Bills would net you a nice EBC, now that's money well spent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:53 pm 

Definitely feel ya on that one. Im going kyb and king spring shipping just sucks just picked up a set of nice mesh 14x6 as well should be a nice set up. 75% of my attention on my cars goes to handling and stopping. The boost a pump just seemed like a handier set up. It goes by pump voltage so you can ramp up as needed in the car based off your wideband.

And on the bright side of things the rebuild motor is up and driving today!!
Ill do a mini build thread. I have a full new set up w intercooler bov piping etc but went stock since im flying to corpus on wednesday and wanted to get a few miles on the fresh motor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:20 am 

Some sort of extra injector controller would work as well as anything. You should see if you can find a used one.