TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:38 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:19 pm 

After letting the battery charge up I tried starting fluid again and nothing. Might be off a tooth on the belt. Only things I can think to do is try the timing belt one tooth either direction,and change the guts of my distributer with another I have.
I'm open to suggestions.
Edd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:54 am 

Timing belt is fine, a tooth off one way or the other, it will still run, like crap but should still start.

Bumping it off 1-tooth before to get it to run or time better was just probably compensating
for a worn distributor.

So it wasn't clear in your distributor rebuild...

Quote:
Next I removed the screw that holds the top section of the distributor to the shaft. It's a Phillips screw.
Mine came apart easy but if youres is stuck some penetrating oil over night will loosen it up

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=60085

...if you separated the 2 part shaft after removing the top phillips screw down the center?
This shaft allows the operation of the mechanical advance by allowing the 2 sections of
the distributor shaft to twist somewhat independently of each other. By now most
untouched distributors have this mechanism seized, and the 2-part shaft is seized as one.

The big question is why your rotor position is off 120 °.

I suspect your distributor as the problem, likely the shaft frozen or worn into an extremely
advanced position, so much so that the previous owner had compensated by resetting
the wire position on the cap 120° and adjusting the relative position of the distributor to
make it run best.

Is it possible the top portion of the distributor shaft has rotated, more than the factory intended,
and stuck in an extremely advanced position, give or take about 120°?

In your attempt to sync it up to factory specs, you may have undone something.

Try putting it back the way it was. If it runs ok then you know.

If it worked before you touched it, and now it don't run, put it back that way
and go from there.

Kudos to the Mrs for being your parts runner.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:07 am 

The plug wires being off 120 is what got me doing all of this. I should have left well enough alone but oh no that would have been too easy. Actually I thought this was no big deal. I've pulled and dissasembled the dist a dozen times( re clocking ,spring changes ect) with no issue. I've changed my timing belt with no issues. Guess I can't do both at the same time though. Lol.
I'm looking at it and can't figure it out,so I don't know why I expect anyone who's not looking at it to tell me the magic answer.
Sometimes posting on here lets me get my thoughts strait as Iam able reread my posts looking for clues. Call it a sounding board,journal,ect and just when I feel I can't go on you guys give me the support I need to not give up. Thank you.
All I can do is keep on keeping on.
Edd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:36 am 

I think I'm about to look and feel stupid. I belive I clocked my dist wrong. Looking through pics in my phone( I tend to take lots of pics to help me reamber different things ) I belive I can see my mistake.
Actually I'm hoping I look stupid and that is what's going on.
Still dark here but I've pulled the dist so many times I can do it with my eyes closed so this should be a snap.
Edd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:51 am 

Nope that wasn't it. With the cam and crank timing marks lined up its pointing at 11 o'clock my number one wire. I can check that off the list at least.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:27 am 

Are you sure your crank and cam sprockets are clocked correctly? I'm confused by you saying that #1 gets compression when the timing mark is pointing down.

Put a straw or something else non metallic into #1 spark plug hole and turn the crank over until it's at it's highest point. At that point the crank sprocket should line up with the marks. If not, then your woodruff key is sheared and all the marks in the world are wrong. Then, the cam sprocket should be mounted so that the locating pin is pointing down at the crank, and the scribe mark should line up with the V notch on the valve cover flange. With #1 piston at TDC, all marks lining up, both #1 valves closed, the distributor goes in with the rotor pointing toward #1 plug wire. If not, then your distributor is screwed up.

Disclaimer: I see a V belt which I think means it's a mk1 engine. I don't know a damned thing about those, everything I just said applies to the 89-00 engines. =)

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:55 am 

Woodie.
At this point I'll take anything I can get. Just a kind word is a huge motivator.
Just came in from out side and here is what I have.
So with my timing marks on the timing belt pulleys lined up and the cam pin facing down my dist was pointing at 11 o clock the number three post but my number one wire.
I reclocked the dist to be facing 5 o clock with the marks liked up. Opposite of everything I've read.
Shot some starting fluid in it and it poped off. Can't run it as I found some corrosion in my injector harness yesterday and I have them ready to be re soldered and shrink wrapped when the sun comes up.
Thank you
Edd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:29 am 

Just got done replacing about 8" of injector wire due to corrosion inside so I was ready to give it a try.
Turned the key and it started up. Could only run it a second due to the fact I don't have the timing cover installed or the water pump belt.

So here is the million dollar question. Should I give any thought to trying to correct this situation or if it's running its good to go?

Thanks all
Edd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:43 pm 

Every thing is as good as it ever was. My timing is at 30 degrees before top dead center. That's where it seems to run best and I'm gonna leave it there. Consider this done.
Lesson to be learned is ,I don't know, don't be a dumb ass I'm guessing.
Thanks to all for hanging with me in this latest endeavor
Edd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:04 am 

FloridaEdd wrote:
So here is the million dollar question. Should I give any thought to trying to correct this situation or if it's running its good to go?

Dunno, I'm still confused. But if it's running, why mess with success? The key will be if it runs well or not. Just starting up and idling is a good step, but we'll see if it is down on power, or pings under acceleration. I don't like the idea of random springs in the distributor. Those springs are very specifically chosen to apply the right amount of advance at the right time.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:55 am 

Woodie. You can't be more confused than me.
The springs I have are the same diameter of the originals and are made of a hardened spring steel. They are about 3 inches long so I can cut them down to any number of coils I want. I've used them and they hold there shape and don't stretch out. Are they a perfect match? I don't know, I doubt it but there close enough for now I think.
Edd