TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:16 pm 

Took the buggy out today. Ran awesome. I turned the MAF spring tighter and got rid of most of my richness. To say it ran like a raped ape is an understatement.
Going down a road with whop de dos that were spaced good for hauling a$$. Came off of one with my foot in the turbo and started fish tailing violently from side to side almost at right angles. I was good until I slid off the packed sand road and got in to the soft sugar sand. It grabbed me and I rolled at least twice and appears it tried to Endo as the front bumper is pushed in.
Bent the roll bar and snapped a rear axle. Ripped the mirrors off. Was on its side for about 10 minutes and filled the intercooler hoses with oil.
People were near by to help me flip it back over and gave me a ride to my truck so I could go get it,also had to help me load it.
My helmet has scratches from the bent roll bar but my head is ok. I always say if you have a 10$ head wear a 10$ helmet.
Would have hurt myself bad had I not had on a helmet and the 4 point harness.
I did hurt my back from my shoulder blades down about 8 inches. Feels like a compression issue. I think I'll be laid up for a week or so at least,at least.
But it ran awesome.
Edd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:22 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:27 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:15 am 

Engine was hydro locked with oil,pulled the plugs and pumped it out. Figure the rest will eventually drain past the rings I installed a catch can some time ago for my pvc hose , It was full of oil.
Learned my intercooler has a leak or two as it was dripping oil ( good time to upgrade ). I have to take the intake system apart to clean all the oil out of it.
I got the roll bar straitened out now to replace the cross bar. Basically made a home make frame machine with my trailer railings,a few straps, some cinder blocks, 4x3" aluminum tubing and a small floor and bottle jack. Can't tell the upright was ever bent.
Gonna get a friend of mine to weld it up for me as he's a way better welder than me,he used to build trailers for a living.
ill post some pics later
Edd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:28 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:29 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:32 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:32 pm 

Dropped the roof off with a friend of mine who has a body shop and he's gonna fix it up for me.
First thing he said when he saw it was "how much $$ is a new one". Tells you there it's not gonna be cheap to fix,lucky for me were gonna horse trade for the work. He's also gonna match the frame paint for me. It's currently powder coated but I'm just gonna paint the repaired area.
My replacemeant tubbing will be here tomorrow and I'll cut the old one out and replace the complete brace. should look like it was never rolled when I'm done. I figure it will be ready to ride next week. I don't think I'll be ready ,I'm still quite sore.
Edd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:31 am 

Pulled all of the intake/ intercooler hoses/ pipe today. I had oil from my air filter to my intake and everywhere in between. Crank case is about empty. Gonna smoke like a freight train once I finally start it up.
At some point someone used bolts that were too long on the factory blow off valve and they punctured the intercooler tank. Two air leaks. I have a couple of ideas to patch them though. Got the cage ready for the replacement bar just waiting on it to arrive so I can fit it and get it welded.

You know, I just got to say I can't belive not one reply" glad ur not dead" , " glad u didn't break ur neck"
Anything at all.
Don't bother now. I'm out
Edd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:52 pm 

Ouch!

Glad you pulled through =)

(My Day job and home life don't allow for much lately)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:29 am 

Dam! Glad to hear u are ok! Get that back checked out for sure! I broke mine when I was 18 and took a while to get it checked and they said damage was done and had started to heal. Well I pay for waiting every day now that I am 48. Your back is nothing to play with.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:55 am 

RESPECT MAN!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:24 am 

Thank you I do appreciate the kind words. Two plus weeks later and I'm still sore. Tell me about it I'm 45 and have managed to beat myself up over the years one way or another.
I was fortunate another forum I visit for my buggy has several members who have broken there back and been seriously injured in in one way or another. These injuries generally happen in the Honda Pilots which have less supension travel and the seat is not padded as well as mine and it hangs below the frame how ever no one is immune to it. Had I of had my harness as tight as it should be I would have walked away with just a couple cuts.
I've been busy, I have cut and notched 6 additional braces for the roof for more structural support.
I took this time to replace a few intercooler hoses I didn't like as well as seal up the two holes in my intercooler. I made an additional turbo brace for the hot side. I only had one in the middle and one on the cold side and after riding a while my turbo bolts would start to work loose. I belive this brace will fix that. Put on a new dist cap and rotor as well as replaced the radiator rubber mounts as they all tore loose from the impact.
I let it sit for two weeks before I started it to let as much oil in the cylinders drain down as possible.
Changed the oil and filter and it fired right up. Smoked like a freight train for about 20 minutes and sprayed/dripped oil out of the exhaust.
No funny noises,knocks ,rattles ect so I'm happy.
I'm about to order a new gauge for my wideband and a new tach. Also considering an MSD off road high vibration coil just for shits and giggles.
Getting my welding done the end of this week but think it may still be a couple of weeks before I should ride again,at least ride hard. Putting around I'd be fine.
I didn't mean to sound shitty in my last post just hurt my feelings a little. That's on me.
Edd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:54 am 

Hey, I am watching and enjoying this thread and glad to hear you are ok. I tend to check teamswift lately but only zip thru new posts and then back to work without adding a lot other than very specific answers when I have the information needed.
I can only imagine how quick your buggy is with the t3 engine. I think it will really shine in soft/mud/sand conditions where power gets eaten up with less torquey engines. The turbo will just keep the power coming.
You are quite correct on the seatbelt thing, I had just retightened my racecar belts because I had been running them to loose a few years ago and the next race I hit someone hard. There's a good chance if I had run the belts looser and more comfortable I would have been hurt. I was going 40+ mph and a car rolled n front of me and I smashed into it as it rolled. I imagine you were tossed all over the place in a rolling buggy! Ouch

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:18 am 

Roof is done. Looks like new. Now to figure out the decals for it.
My buddy who fixed the roof offered to tig weld it up for me and paint it as well for no additional charge.
So bottom line is roof,welding and paint 800$.
He had said it took 10 hours and 220$ in materials for the roof. It looks great so I'm not complaining.friend or not he has to make a living. Iam Sure he threw in the welding and paint because he felt bad.
I'm still sore in the core of my back between my shoulder blades and will go next week and get it looked at if there is no improvement. I'm gonna limit my activity for a few days and see if that helps. I never stopped to let it heal. It's not getting worse but not really getting better.
He said it will be done in a couple of days and I will post pics as soon as I get it.
Edd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:35 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:40 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:41 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:55 pm 

Gonna pick it up Monday. I added the corner braces in the roof area and one vertically on each side of the rear upright. Stronger than when I started. That's always good
Edd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:58 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:00 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:03 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:10 am 

A couple of mirrors and some decals and I'm back in the game. All in all I'm extremely happy how it turned out. Now I can go back to unnecesarley tinkering with my engine. Think I'm gonna try to make my own boost controller next.
Yahoo
Edd