TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:23 am 

I was wondering what other batteries will fit.

I'm going to pick up an 87 Turbo Sprint with no battery and don't know what other groups will fit.

I'd like to get one of those cheap $48 WalMart batteries, but I don't think any will be small enough.

Lots of times, batteries much larger than OE will fit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:29 am 

Nofur Trunions wrote:
I was wondering what other batteries will fit.

I'm going to pick up an 87 Turbo Sprint with no battery and don't know what other groups will fit.

I'd like to get one of those cheap $48 WalMart batteries, but I don't think any will be small enough.

Lots of times, batteries much larger than OE will fit.

I bought one of these two months ago because it is the cheapest in the long run:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MS ... detailpage

The fit is exact if you use the little plastic base.
It works out to about 46.6 cents per month, and most of the lead acid batteries cost about $1 a month.

I guarantee if you put that battery in the car, you will fix up the rest of it to match and will have something which keeps you out of the poor house.

It may not be a cheapo $48 headache Walmart battery, but it's no fun getting stuck miles from home on a cold Winter night.

A Turbo Sprint was a rare car in '87. Treat it with some decent respect and it will pleasantly surprise you with many years of trouble free operation. If you don't think the car is worth the battery, or you can't afford it, I'd suggest you pick a newer model car.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:39 pm 

I want to put a bigger battery in it. The 51 is only 27 pounds.

EDIT: It is now academic. It will be towed to me tomorrow night. Then I'll have all the time in the world to decide what to do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:56 pm 

Finally got the car. Turns out a 35 fits good. The tray was not rectangular, it has a rectangular "notice" by the fan shroud - this is the OE shape - with the notch.

Since the notch has the perimeter lip, it limits what can fit in the tray.

The previous own cut the lip off the notch so that the full rectangular area of the tray could be used.

The 35 fits nicely. (I'm not sure if you needed to remove the lip for the 35 though.)

EDIT: Actually, it is possible the 35 will clear the notch. However I can't tell on mine because they cut the lip off