TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:34 pm 

So I searched a couple different places and came up with the same ignition coil, so I looked at the one at the parts store and it had two male connections, instead of the two wires you bolt on. I'm having what I believe is spark plug blow out. Replaced the plugs wires cap and rotor, still having the problem. Cleaned a few grounds gapped my pligs down to 40 from 46, same problem. Is there a direct bolt on aftermarket coil available? I'm not very familiar with the electric part of cars, but some I am looking at say like 100:1 turn ratio. Obviously that sounds vehicle specific. What's the turn ratio of a sprint turbo?? Thanks.

Update: running on stock boost levels, gapped plugs to .030 and is running good again, would still like to upgrade coil

Update 2: installed a blaster 2 msd coil, and ordered a .8 ohm balast resistor (required with point style ignitions), has what I think is still spark blowout off and on, is worse when cold. Even with plugs gapped to.030... new plugs, new coil, wires, cap and rotor. Clean grounds, new battery and cable. Could it be a tuning problem(air/fuel)? Or possibly timing...

SOLD, red 1987 chevy sprint turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:10 am 

*Ballast Resistor not required

Check air filter, fuel filter, make sure replacement the cap/rotor are designated parts, they are
different from the non-turbo and wont work, check cold start injector and wire harness & connector
(the wires just prior to the connector tend to break). Is it cold in Utah right now? Might need
that CSI for the first 5-10 mins warmup.

Check all your basics, and intake hoses, tight clamps, vacuum hoses etc.
Use the wiring diagram on the hood underside and ensure all your vacuum
crap is secure.

Post up a pic(s).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:26 pm 

I read that a point system distributor needs a ballast resistor, I ran it without itran fine and didn't get hot but I figured I'd better be safe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:56 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it's likely that it's due to the fact that the ignition system on a mk1 turbo3 is an electronic type and not a true points type ignition system.

the mk1 turbo3 uses a big transistor as a pass element to fire the coil and a variable reluctor type sensor to trigger the transistor (igniter.)

the entire ignition is balanced electronically with the circuit design properly biased for current control. the flyback voltage from the coil is controlled by a solid state noise filter and there are no point contacts to burn. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:25 am 

Quote:
it's likely that it's due to the fact that the ignition system on a mk1 turbo3 is an electronic type and not a true points type ignition system.

the mk1 turbo3 uses a big transistor as a pass element to fire the coil and a variable reluctor type sensor to trigger the transistor (igniter.)

the entire ignition is balanced electronically with the circuit design properly biased for current control. the flyback voltage from the coil is controlled by a solid state noise filter and there are no point contacts to burn. :wink:

You forgot to include what gauge wire is used in the factory loom, how thick the wire insulation is, how many spade connectors, ring connectors,
and weather pack connectors are used in the wiring, how many strands of copper wire per inch, whether or not mulitplex wiring is used,
and resistance variables vs. ambient air temp. Not to mention how much db of noise is present in the sound system with the volume potentiometer
set at 25% if the wrong type plug wires are used at idle, low speed and cruise speed.

But to summarize, yup no points. =)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:56 pm 

Well thanks guys! I guess if anyone needs a ballast resistor I have an extra, since it wouldn't be worth returning because I got it cheap off ebay