TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:52 am 

Been busy for awhile but I'm back to the buggy and back to more off the wall questions.
I'm about to start tuning the clutch on my buggy it uses a centrifical clutch / drive system from a snowmobile.
Just a reminder I have a performance grind cam as well as a short free flowing exhaust with a custom log style header.
There are three things I need to know so I can know where to start my clutch adjustment quest.
What is a good launch RPM ? When I nail the gas this is the rpm I want it to take off at.
About where is my top end drop off?
What's red line ?
And at what rpms should I look for peak HP ? This is where I would tune my clutches to run the engine in this range constantly.

I can tune my clutch to meet all of there parameters but As I have a one off set up with this buggy this will be a long quest with lots of adjustments and variables there is no road map for me to follow.

Now I know you're thinking " just look at you're tac jackass " with out the proper clutch set up its impossible to tell where the power is lacking , dropping off or peaking.

I'm well aware every set up will be different and there is no precise answer to my question.
I'm just looking for a basic idea so I can start my clutch tuning somewhere.
Once I have some numbers I'm hoping I can get some guidance from the snowmobile community but with out any idea of where I need to be I know I'd just be wasting there time.
As always thank you and it's great to be back
Edd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:08 am 

Edd,
I don't know if you are still around or not, but have a look at this.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve ... turbo.html

It is for a stock engine, and computer generated so I don't know how accurate it is, but it is a start. Also, your modifications will likely skew the results as well. Just by looking at this chart I'd say 2500 to 4000. With your modifications, maybe 3000 to 4500. Just an educated guess and not very educated at that.

95 Ford E-150 4.9L I6, Custom MSnS-Extra (work van)
92 Winnebago Elante 33RQ Ford 7.5L V8, Custom MSnS-Extra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:53 am 

Thank you. I've been working on clutch tuning and seem to be getting close and will post what rpms work best for me in hopes it may help someone else.
Edd