TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:30 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fuel tank pressure.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:07 am 

Hope all you guys have been well, the buggy has been running awesome consistently so I've been doing more reading than posting but now I have another question.
My buggy uses a 3 gallon spun aluminum tank with a gas cap with a vent on it with a one way valve on it to suck air in but not let it out. It is situated behind the seat next to the exhaust and below the turbo. I have a heat shield on it but it still gets hot enough to build up pressure in the tank.
I'm getting about 20 miles to the gallon maybe less. I drive it hard and stay in the turbo about 50% of the time so the mileage seems about right to me.
My fuel cap has a vent to let air in but not out, so with a sealed fuel system wouldent my excess fuel pressure transulate into too much pressure at the injectors? Or as Jamal tells me all the time am I over thinking this?
Could I put a fuel pressure regulator on the breather hose from my fuel cap to vent off excess pressure?
As always I appreciate any and all input.
Edd

Post subject: Re: Fuel tank pressure.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:47 pm 

Fuel tank pressure is normal, our cars build up pressure as well, evident when filling
up the fuel tank and removing the cap to hear a familiar hissing sound.

I suspect any pressure in the tank would not override the fuel pump, which stands
between the tank and your fuel injectors. Your fuel rail has a fixed pressure regulator
on it as well as a damper that compensates for pulsations as the injectors fire.

And you should have, as far as I know, a return line from the injector rail to the
fuel tank that shoud contain a check valve to maintain residual fuel pressure in the lines
for easy starting.

I'm guessing your mpg estimation to be fairly accurate, considering the type of modified
vehicle your running as well as the application to be off road, not exactly highway miles
on steel belted radials there.

If you're at all concerned, then hook up a fuel pressure gauge between the filter and fuel
rail and monitor it for a few runs. I'm guessing it's nothing to be worried about.

Post subject: Re: Fuel tank pressure.
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:33 am 

Thank you.
I will check my return line and see if it has a one way valve. I was thinking as the pressure built up in the tank it would push backwards in the fuel system so when the fuel pressure reg opened up it would encounter more pressure on the return side.
Sounds nuts now. Lol
I ran it yesterday with my fuel cap check valve present and removed and noticed no difference.
Thank you for the time to reply to me for such a basic question.
Edd