TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:55 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:35 pm 

So it took long enough but I finally got a boost controller. It's a AEM 30-4350.
Got it n eBay for 141 plus shipping. Any one have any input or advice on these controllers. I'd like to run low boost/high boost and maybe use the over boost setting to control alcohol injection. Any info or advice is appreciated.
Edd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:39 pm 

So I'm reading over the manual and I'm lost as to duty cycle. I'm not sure what it dose or how to select my settings. Anyone? Anyone at all have any insight?
Thanks Edd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:09 pm 

Ok. Found some videos explaining it better and I now think I have a grasp on it. Guess I jumped the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:53 pm 

I think that's the one I have, nice standalone setup.
The only thing I don't like about it is the buttons hurt my fingers,
but once you set it up, you pretty much forget it.

There's an A setting and a B setting so you can easily switch between
2 preset boost levels. Adjusting on the fly is pretty easy once you get the
hang of it, keep the manual handy for quick reference and the AEM videos
give some insight too. And there's the scramble boost via a switch
which allows a preset max boost for a timed interval in either A or B
setting.

The thing I like is you can set duty cycle on the fly, as well as tailor the settings
for quicker spoolup, you have to play around with it to find the happy medium
and avoid pressure spikes. If you watch the AEM vids, you will know what I mean,
then be able to put it to the realworld test.

As far as keeping your boost level under complete control, this thing is the ticket.
This works best in tandem with the UEGO Wideband Analog A/F meter to help
keep fueling in check once your boost is under control. You can use the A/F
meter to help you determine if you have the right size fuel injectors under
load.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:42 am 

Hope everyone has been well.
I saw you're post when you got an AEM boost controller and if it was good enough for you I knew it would be the ticket for me. I've watched the videos and they are a huge help. Been running my house off of a generator due to the hurricane but got power back now.
I have the boost controller installed and the base line settings set.i have not run it yet. I also bought a AEM wideband failsafe which should be here today. It is a new open box one that I got for 220$ shipped. So for both I'm in 360$.
I haven't been too active here as there were a few things I needed to move forward which I now have.
A Tach. Yes. I finally got a Tach. My boost controller and wide band. ( as a side note I have a new dynojet wideband commander with LCD I was gonna use but I like the AEM look of the boost controller I wanted to keep the look so I will post my dynojet unit for sale on here before I put it on EBay. )
I'm working on tuning my clutch and gained a ton of acceleration. I've set my top RPM around 7k I do this with different clutch weights and spring tensions.
This engine is doing great. With throttle / turbo control I can break my rear end loose on demand which makes drifting easy. In a turn under hard acceleration my front inside wheel starts to lift. My top speed is 82mph. I can spin my wheels on hot asphault when the turbo hits. My clutching is a work in progress but m getting the hang of it.
My exhaust/ turbo kept coming loose so I made an support bracket that is one peice and attaches to the cool side/the center section and the hot side and safety wired the fasteners and it has held tight for the last 1k miles.
I will post some pics when I get it all good to go.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:35 pm 

Wideband failsafe arrived and looks good but wow the directions are a short novel. Gonna take my time installing this as it's quite complicated. At least at first look. Once I read through a few times I should be ok.
It's a AEM 30-4900 wideband/boost gauge and failsafe. Once I get it in I'll give you guys my feedback on it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:03 pm 

Where should my afr be? What should my high/alarm afr be ? I plan on disabling my boost selonoid with a relay if my afr gets too high. That sound good?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:21 pm 

if your turbo you want to be around 11.5:1 at wot. anything higher than 12 is starting to run to lean

here is the gauge i am wanting

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/scg1.php

it has everything all in one.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:07 am 

Thank you. Gives me a place to start. After reading through the manual it is strait forward. It gives info for hooking up to a stand alone engine management system which I won't use but sure makes it all look complicated at first glance. Made a gauge pod this evening,just have to weld a mounting tab on and paint it.
Cool gauge/controller. i like the failsafe function of the AEM,but I had to have a separate boost controller.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:34 pm 

Got it all hooked up and installed. Got a new phone and I'm having issues with my pics but will get the wife to take a look. I can adjust my bar graph readings with different colors. Green is my acceptable range so I'm wondering what my acceptable high and lows are? I can adjust the graph to show green in the acceptable range. 11:1 to 12:5 ? Just using that as an example. Readings in that range would have a green bar graph. A little higher or lower can be displayed in yellow as a caution. And extremely low or high can be displayed in red. Again I can set the parameters for the different colors.
Wow that's difficult to explaine. Hope it sounds right.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read it.