TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cold start issue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:39 am 

I am having very poor starting when cold similar to a vacuum leak which is what i expected but after checking everything there was no change, once the car warms up (87 turbo) everything is fine. There is also no response to any idle adjustment im getting ready to replace the car as my daily dude to this but would love to get this figured out and avoid having to buy a car. The sprint only has 5000 miles since being rebuilt,Garrett gt1544 turbo and 226/395 cam any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance for any insight.

Post subject: Re: Cold start issue
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:08 am 

Being that it's not cold enough that your Cold start injector would really affect it that much,
but you could check your CSI for operation, it's common for the wires to break just behind
the coupler inside the wrap.

More importantly, I would pull the plugs and check condition, and do a compression
check as well. You could have a blown headgasket or burnt valve. I drove around
for months with burnt valves and near zero compression in 2 cylinder one time before
diagnosing.

Other than that you want to check for obvious vacuum leaks, any rips or tears in
the intake duct bellows or intercooler and/or hoses, looseness on any bolts on
intake manifold side, and closely inspect your distributor cap, rotor and plug wires.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:27 am 

Spark plugs are new swapped em when i checked for vacuum leaks. Last compression check was good. As of today the car wouldnt even fire up. Yesterday i closed the idle adjuster on the tb and it died then opened it and evem warm it would only hold 550-600 rpm.
I wont have time to troubleshoot for a few weeks but id be willing to start ordering sensors since the only new one is the cts. Also no trouble codes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:02 pm 

What plugs are you running?
Don't assume compression check is ok because last one was good.

I had a rash of bad ignitors in the last couple years.
Different symptoms every time
1) runs, dies after 60 secs
2) DOA, no start
3) Died on the run, ECM fuse blows

They are difficult to run the troubleshooting,
however if you have a spare, it takes 30 secs to swap out.

How's your woodruff key?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:47 am 

It was good two weeks ago when this problem started but after messing w it today its definitely a spark issue so worth another check for the crank spinning. Then work my way to the dizzy. Running ngk 7's 1 range colder for the 15psi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:42 pm 

Hey guys whatever sensor was causing this has completely taken a crap now i was driving it in heavy rain a few weeks back and the next day the car wouldn't start. Cranks has fuel has compression but wont start i bought a cobalt ss turbo to replace it as my daily since ive been working 7days a week i have no time to diagnose so with that said ill take offers on the car if anyone wants it. The car has a lot of nice parts on it if parted out or if anyone has the time. the rebuilt motor only has 5k miles on it amd up until this point had been very reliable im just fed up after putting so much time and money in it not in the mood for trial and error text me for pics or info 3235396310-victor