TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: mileage/fuel economy ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:58 am 

Hi Folks,

I was wondering what sort of fuel economy I should be getting from my 3cyl Suzuki Swift and what sort of milage people actually get with real world driving ?

My Swift has the trusty G10A engine, which is 1lt with a SOHC with none of the added extras like air or power anything :)

Recently I have been noting the mileage when filling up and I seem to be getting around the 12 to 13 km's per litre which equates to about 510kms for its 40L tank (I initially thought this number was pretty poor?).

I looked up the specs for the car online and saw that I should be getting somewhere close to 17kms/litre for city driving which works out to be just short of 670kms for a tank of fuel.

In terms of background info, recently I have done quite a bit of work on the car which has just over 210,000kms on it and has never broken down :)
The car has a new stock exhaust after we had a blocked cat and a muffler full of holes. I also recently changed the timing belt, distributor cap, rotor and ignition leads which were all original items on the car.

When I had a friend look at the exhaust he told me he thought the car was missing which prompted me to look at and change the rotor, cap, leads etc which were all very worn. This made a marked difference to the way the car runs and sounds.
My wife who has owned the car for the last 10 years was always told that the car ran rough because it was a 3cyl engine even by a suzuki dealer but I don't think anyone had even looked at things like the distributor cap which I am sure had never been taken off.

I am currently thinking the car may have been turned in its previous state when the engine ran very rough which is leading to my current poor economy figures.

thanks, Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:52 am 

You didnt replace the fuel filter, that may be a small source of your problems. Did you check the air filter? And last, check the timing, if it's out, that'll mess with your MPG. I know that I travelled about 200km on a quarter of a tank in a turbo 3 (on the highway), but I cruised at 120.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:34 pm 

HiTempguy wrote:
You didnt replace the fuel filter, that may be a small source of your problems. Did you check the air filter? And last, check the timing, if it's out, that'll mess with your MPG. I know that I travelled about 200km on a quarter of a tank in a turbo 3 (on the highway), but I cruised at 120.

Hi HiTempguy,

Thanks for the info, I forgot to mention that when I service the car every 10,000kms I replace the fuel filter, oil filter and engine oil. Also every 20,000kms I replace the air filter. The current fuel filter is less then 2,000kms old. I also replaced the spark plugs at 200,000kms.

One thing I am thinking is that the mixture may currently be very rich as the tail of the exhaust pipe seems a little black (which is new) and I also noticed some carbon deposits on the inside of my garage door which is definately from the Swift as our other car (a commodore) has the exhaust pipe on the other side of the car.
When I replaced the distributor cap I did notice that you could adjust it position quite (probably through about 30 to 40 degrees) a bit and that it was almost fully adjusted in the anti clockwise position, when I did try and change this adjustment the engine seemed to run really rough so I left it where it was.

Cheers, Mark

Post subject: fuel economy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:02 pm 

shit, i should be getting 670km off a tank?! I dont even get around 400km, but my engine has a few probs, like needs trans service, slack accel cable, carby probs... but man, thats crazy!

Post subject: Re: fuel economy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:24 am 

Hi

Caris wrote:
sh!t, i should be getting 670km off a tank?! I dont even get around 400km, but my engine has a few probs, like needs trans service, slack accel cable, carby probs... but man, thats crazy!

I noticd that the car listed in your profile is a 1.3l as opposed to mine which is a 1.

I got my info/specs for the car from http://www.drive.com.au/buy/market_value/car_details.asp?nvic=UEY&make=SUZUKI&model=SWIFT&series=GA&year=1991&body=3D+HATCHBACK
The info here says that I should be using 6lt for every 100kms (city driving)
This equates to just short of 670kms for the tank (40L)
I am still a little unsure as to how realsitic these figures are.

Cheers, Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:54 pm 

Ive got a 1998 Swift with the G13B 1.3L 4cyl (only 77,000ish km now) and I'm getting probably around 600km+ to a tank... I refuel around 550km, and theres always 3 or 4 liters left...

But thats just me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:11 pm 

Since my car has a ported intake the milage is actually better than before. I swapped out the can dash for a U.S one with a tach so im not sure about my Km/L figures. I do get on average 250 miles out of a full tank. On the highway I get 300 to 320 miles on a tank. I have a A/F meter gauge and a boost gauge and typically I am running at 5in vacuum on highway. This is the first winter I have driven in with my car and its running really rich in these -20 temps. I only get 150 miles to a tank now. this is a 90 Sprint 5 speed with 420,000K. Motor is a fresh rebuilt :) Once its warmed up the A/f is ok but cold its 15/16:1 by my A/F meter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:05 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

for entertainment sake, i just uploaded the original window sticker for my turbo 1L ..
it was rated 37mpg city and 43mpg hwy ..
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_page.php?pic_id=2913">Image</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:46 am 
Suzuki Elder

with the mileage you state and the observations that your exhaust is black, the engine runs rough, the catalytic converter was plugged, and that your mileage is poor i would say that your car has some valve issues that haven't gotten bad enough to keep the car from running at all.

i would urge you to service the EGR system which i'd bet is clogged with soot. i'd also put money on the fact that you are using a bit of oil due to cooked valve seals which will cause your tail pipe to be black (as well as black oily specks on your rear bumper around the tail pipe.)

my lightly modified 3 banger vert gets a very constant 42 mpg (17.8560357 km/liter) for my combined city/ highway driving which to me is quite acceptable.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:33 am 

Hi t3 ragtop.

Thanks for the tip, I checked out the repair guide at http://www.autozone.com which gave me some tips on where to start with the EGR system as my first point of call. (Guess what I will be looking at tomorrow night after work :-))

In terms of oil usage, I guess I would say that the car does use a little bit of oil, nothing that I would say that was out of the ordinary though. I guess it is a bit hard to tell at the moment as I am currently using the car as my local runabout and it only does about 50kms a week (~31 miles)

thanks again, Mark

t3 ragtop wrote:
with the mileage you state and the observations that your exhaust is black, the engine runs rough, the catalytic converter was plugged, and that your mileage is poor i would say that your car has some valve issues that haven't gotten bad enough to keep the car from running at all.

i would urge you to service the EGR system which i'd bet is clogged with soot. i'd also put money on the fact that you are using a bit of oil due to cooked valve seals which will cause your tail pipe to be black (as well as black oily specks on your rear bumper around the tail pipe.)

my lightly modified 3 banger vert gets a very constant 42 mpg (17.8560357 km/liter) for my combined city/ highway driving which to me is quite acceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:04 am 
Suzuki Elder

since the original post was concerning a 1990 vintage g10a it means that the o2 sensor is a single wire unit. those are pretty cheap, i get new bosch units for $15 US. while it's not beyond the realm of possibility for the o2 sensor to be off calibration due to oil contamination, it would be sort of out of the ordinary for it to not throw a diagnostic code from the ecu if it was bad.

i've actually experienced one of my cars running better with a bad o2 sensor. i purposely disconnected mine and ran it attached only to my AFR gauge on a second car for several weeks. while i ran the engine like that it didn't seem to make a big difference in fuel useage or engine operation.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:28 am 

Hi Folks.

Well tonight I had a look at the EGR system on my swift and t3 ragtop was right on the money with the thing being clogged with soot.

I initially looked at all the hoses and the larger one on the EGR valve had a few bits of carbon in it which came out when I tapped it on my workbench. I then removed the EGR valve and both the intake and return were totally blocked up with soot.
There was no way that any airflow (exhaust or otherwise) was going to get through that thing, I noticed that the manifold (?) that it bolts onto was also clogged up as well. I gave everything a good clean mainly with a few very small screwdrivers and some paper clips to dig everything out and put it all back together. At one stage I thought of cleaning the thing with a solvent or something but thought twice about it as I recall reading somewhere that you don't want to damage the diagphram.
I am thinking that I might have to do this a few times as it was pretty hard to get all the little bits out of the small airways.
I've attached a picture of the valve but it doesn't really do it justice.

Next I'll be off to look at the oxygen sensor to see that its in good working order and if not I'll replace it.

thanks again for all the helpful info, Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:30 am 

My 91 auto with a new/used JDM 1.0 is getting 30 mpg (in town short trips). I didn't think that was to bad at all. Before the JDM I was getting 45 mpg on the highway!! I am curious if my highway mileage will change with the new/used engine.

Also, some engines don't have an egr. When I bought mine last summer, I spent an hour looking for it, only to discover that some had the egr and some didn't. I even purchased the 91 GM repair manual, and sure enough, for that year they had 2 different emission systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:03 pm 

my '96 1.0 5 spd get 41mpg on the interstate doing 70 mph. In the summer with the a/c on it get a little over 39mpg.
thanks for the pic of the egr and the carbon build up cleaning tips. I'm going to look at that on my '92.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:00 pm 

spt-3x1.0 wrote:
I met a lady yesterday that with in the last week bought a 94 Metro 5 dr w/ an auto box, 146,000 miles on the clock & in great shape. She paid $1300 for it & its all stock including 145/r12's & factory wheel covers.

What kind of fuel economy should she be expecting.

You didnt specify, is it a 3cyl or a 4cyl?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:01 pm 

I have a 94 Metro, I've been getting about 44 mpg. Has about 170k km on it, 155R12 tires, factory covers. But mine is manual, and I do quite a bit of highway driving.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:25 pm 

Ineed help same case like every beginner,
4 months ago I bought 1991 suzuki swift at 142.000 km ,(mk2)1.0 l ,3cyl all parts are stock -no any upgrades , I can travel 440 km in city traffic ,I can push barely up to 530 km , with 1 t 40 lt , a week ago my engine just repaired,but consumption results is similar. which checks necessary , back to normal

any one can help me
regards
murat

Attachments:
DSC01208.JPG
DSC01208.JPG [ 308.39 KIB | Viewed 3390 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:28 pm 

Murat,

We were just in your country and did not see a single Suzuki Swift!

We saw many in Greece including a cool GTI on the Island of Samos (photo in the photo Gallery)

You should get 800 km on the highway from 40L driving 100kph

You need to check the compression in your cylinders and the ignition timing.

Use thin oil 5-30, and check the tire pressures.

Regards,

Trevor Heath
http://www.livesteaming.com/metro.htm
http://www.livesteaming.com/tk08.htm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:05 am 

Hi Trevor ,

Nice suprise , I hope you enjoyed your visit.I guess swift's are not popular car in TURKEY ,but I love my car .
Anyway, thank you so much ,tonight I will check your recommended issues.
thanks
murat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:17 pm 

I get 400km to a tank...1.3 4cyl. engine and a dead-as-hell tranny.

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:56 pm 

Hi Mark
I am Murat from Turkey
Did you solve the poor mpg, because ı dont , still my cars actual figures around 8-9 lt/ 100 km which is near double of factory measured consumptions ?
marnold wrote:
Hi Folks.

Well tonight I had a look at the EGR system on my swift and t3 ragtop was right on the money with the thing being clogged with soot.

I initially looked at all the hoses and the larger one on the EGR valve had a few bits of carbon in it which came out when I tapped it on my workbench. I then removed the EGR valve and both the intake and return were totally blocked up with soot.
There was no way that any airflow (exhaust or otherwise) was going to get through that thing, I noticed that the manifold (?) that it bolts onto was also clogged up as well. I gave everything a good clean mainly with a few very small screwdrivers and some paper clips to dig everything out and put it all back together. At one stage I thought of cleaning the thing with a solvent or something but thought twice about it as I recall reading somewhere that you don't want to damage the diagphram.
I am thinking that I might have to do this a few times as it was pretty hard to get all the little bits out of the small airways.
I've attached a picture of the valve but it doesn't really do it justice.

Next I'll be off to look at the oxygen sensor to see that its in good working order and if not I'll replace it.

thanks again for all the helpful info, Mark