TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:47 pm 

Gurus,

I'm sorry in advance for the length and noobyness displayed below.
This is my first post after lurking for a few days and doing searches on the things I could think of with various amounts of success. I'm new to this whole "world" as almost all of my previous cars have been any combination of the following: big, V8, RWD, American, street rods, 1960's, SUV's, Trucks, etc - so please bear with me. Almost all of my previous cars, well over 40, have also been GM in flavor. I picked this one up to help me get better gas mileage as my job is moving from 10 miles away to about 50.

Anyways,
I'm getting a 89 swift and a metro parts car tonight. It needs a little love and with a few small parts off the metro it should be good to go.

I have a few noob questions about cheap changes and/or upgrades and how they relate to MPG.

What kind of baseline HWY MPG should I expect form the 1.3L DOHC and 5-speed.

I'm not asking if a header wll help me do burnouts. I do want to have a little fun, but am after MPG for the most part. My imediate plans are to change the oil and install a NON-FRAM oversized oil filter, clean the MAF, new plugs, and new air filter. FWIW the odometer reads 99,xxx and the guy selling it has ZERO history on it since he only got it at an auction.

I read a thread about using a 3 liter Mitsu coil out of a dodge van, but the last post in the thread was a request for pics that never happened and is quite old. Are there any further upates on this cheap coil mod?

Are there any specific plugs that these motors like any better than others for MPG? Any plugs I should avoid. I've been a pretty dedicated AC Delco guy and don't even know if an AC plug is available for this one.

[opening up the eternal can of worms]
Is the hater/lover of synthetic oils debate just as strong here as in every other E-garage? Either way, please let me know if you think these motors appreciate synthetic oils and what kind and weight you would recommend.

Do these motors appreciate using higher octane fuel from a MPG standpoint - or do the computers change things and it's just wasted money?

A $50 chip seems pretty damn reasonable - SPESH LEE for what it gives you back performance wise. What effect would one have on MPG?

The shifter feels very stiff, like it's shifting through bubblegum or something. Is this a result of it being the "stiffer, sportier, racier" model, or can I expect it to losen up with cleaning and use? Is there anything that I can grease with zerk fittings or anying like that? I read that there might be bushings to replace, and I seen the short throw shifter mod thread already - like a teenager, I'm just trying to figure out if what I'm feeling is natural. Please advise here too if you can.

I realize that the first response might be somebody with the "search" smiley and the second might be the "I'm with stupid" one, but I would like some help along with the expected noob abuse, if possible.

You guys have a great weekend and I'll check back on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:06 am 
smart@ss

Low to mid 30 mpg should be reasonable, probably even better if you're gonna do highway drivng. NGK seem to be the best suited plugs for these engines. Generally it's not recommended to use synthetic oil on higher mileage engines, however I switched to Mobil1 synthetic on my old 91gt at th e80k mark and have had no problems till rust killed it at 143k miles. No leaks or anything. Right now I'm using Royal Purple 10w30 and it does the job. 89 octane will work fine, if you get performance chip, it's recommened to use higher octane gas. I can't remember what the stock shifter feels like ( other than a adult toy look-a-like :oops: ), but it shouldn't be very stiff, maybe clean-up is in order.

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:57 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Definately get NGKs for spark plugs. If you want better ignition performance, instead of just a coil, I would recommend installing an MSD ignition box as well. Every Swift I've put them on experienced a noticable improvement in power, and you'd probably get an improvement in fuel economy if you can refrain from the greater tempation of lead-footed driving. Oh, don't forget to put in a cone filter, all you need is a cheap Nissan MAF adapter you can get at any speedshop or ebay.

Suzuki engines do like sythetic, especially for keeping the lifters happy. However don't put sythetic in your gearbox (unless it's Redline) GM Synchromesh works excellent and is even recommended by Suzuki.

The ECUs in Suzukis are pretty dumb, if you put in the wrong fuel octane, the engine will ping away until you manually retard the base timing or upgrade your fuel. Most of the ECU chips that have been manufactured were made with performance in mind, so you can probably expect a small loss in fuel economy.

Another option that comes to mind for fuel economy would be to contact our resident camshaft vendor suprf1y (Mike), and ask about one of his "economy" cams for your engine application.

Here's some threads we've had on increasing fuel economy:
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=12173
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=11349
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=1650
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=1667

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:14 pm 

My Gti did 39.85 mpg round town. This is not stop/start city driving, but mostly on expressway type things at constant speeds of around 40 mph. On a trip at constant 60 mph I have had over 50 mpg on flat terrain.

This does not involve high rpms and caning it at every opportunity but just changing cogs at around 3000 - 4000 rpm.

On your highway systems you should be able to achieve way in excess of 45 mpg.

I use NGK plugs and synthetic 10/30 oil. No mods to ign system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:31 am 

I only get 30mpg... mostly rural+city, driving like a grandma :(

any suggestions for better mpg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:39 am 

Also, use NGK G-Powers (since everybody just said NGK, one might think V-powers). As for multi-points and stuff, general consensus is STAY AWAY. If you can splurge, might want to get NGK Iridiums, open up the plug gap a bit more, and run a better ignition system (from a MSD blaster SS coil to the whole meal deal like Lihtan has). The iridium tip will last along time even with the higher power levels flowing through it when you open up the plug gap.

About the shifter: didn't somebody once say if it felt as if you were moving it through oatmeal, the little bushings were worn?

It would be interesting to see a MPG project out of a GTi, don't think anybodies ever done that.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:47 pm 

For a maximum MPG project, you really might consider starting with a Metro XFi. Been 3 or 4 on eBay in the last month all under $1k. When gas hits $3 a gallon (in the US), these little cars will most likely go up in value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:18 am 

I'm using Autolite Platinum regular tip sparkplugs & I'm getting 50 plus MPG city & Highway combined driving.