TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:49 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Charged Conversion
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:12 pm 
Sparky

Hey all, here is another Alternative Conversion. I am seroiusly thinking of doing one of these before or after my turbo sprint. Enjoy :idea: :sunny:
http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product ... ct_id=3725
:sunny: :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:29 pm 

I can see somebody laughing in the distance after they ripped anybody off who bought this kit. Mabye its just me, but what good is a car that can only travel 40-60 miles, and then you would have to charge it again all night? Why wouldn't you just put $6000 into a 1.3L DOHC?

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:41 pm 
Sparky

HiTempguy wrote:
I can see somebody laughing in the distance after they ripped anybody off who bought this kit. Mabye its just me, but what good is a car that can only travel 40-60 miles, and then you would have to charge it again all night? Why wouldn't you just put $6000 into a 1.3L DOHC?

Well I only drive 7 miles one way to work so that is 70 miles round trip every week. The ave cost is .02 per mile or to fully charge an EV is $1.40. Can you use only $1.40 in gas every week to get back an forth to work? Even at 35 MPG, your little 1.3 is costing you .07 per mile. or almost 4 times as much. Plus in addition, When you have/make an EV you can apply and get tax credits and Grant $$$$ from City/County/State/ & Federal Governments so it makes it very good deal. Any if you think they are slow, look up the 11 sec EV RX7

http://www.evparts.com/about/index.php?show=mazda.ihtml

Here is a Guy with a Flock of Electric Metro's!
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/602.html

And Yet even More!! I gotta get a life and stop working on cars and surfing the web!
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/geo.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:59 pm 

i am not knocking this idea, but i wonder how long the batterys and motor and such will last. like how many miles are they good for.

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:39 pm 

Well, thats another thing. I am trying not to make fun of it, but it still makes me think of electric superchargers for some strange reason. And also, thats $6000 to get you rolling. Not saying that somebody couldn't try it, but in a cost vs feasibilty, just seems to not add up.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:24 am 
Sparky

tuffcarguy wrote:
i am not knocking this idea, but i wonder how long the batterys and motor and such will last. like how many miles are they good for.

With Battery Tech now they will last between 5-7 years if properly maintained. I believe the Optima Yellow Tops have a lifetime Warranty on them. The Current DC motors will go 100,000 miles before needing new brushes. Visit this web site and most of those questions will be answered.

http://www.evadc.org/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:42 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Deep cycle batteries commonly used with EV applications have about 1000 charge/discharge cycles, and a fairly economical dispite their poor energy density. I've toyed with idea of building an EV myself, but the batteries and electronics always end up running into the thousands of dollars. Charge controllers, devices for regenerative braking and motor speed control are also available specifically for custom building EVs.

Range and curb weight can be improved by selecting batteries with a higher energy density. The common lead acid battery has bar-none the lowest energy density of any battery technology. NiCad would be a huge improvement over lead acid. A NiCad the size of a clay brick could easily outperform a lead acid deep cycle battery. If you look into industrial battery suppliers you can even find NiCads the size of car batteries. Bear in mind these won't be cheap. The next step up would be NiMH. A NiMH the size of a video tape would outperform the clay brick sized NiCad, and it's lighter too. The Toyota Prius has its battery pack constructed out of approximately 200 D cell NiMH batteries. Try to find a battery wholesaler if you're getting that many batteries. Currently Li Ion and Li Polymer batteries are the highest performing on the market, but very tricky to implement. These batteries need to have both their discharge and charge rates carefully regulated to prevent damage to the battery. Some types of battery damage can lead to catastrophic thermal runaway, where the battery discharges superheated gases or sometimes even catches fire or explodes. Stay away from this unless you're an electrical engineer.

maybe a picture Thanks