TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:16 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:23 am 

jimmyjr wrote:
WHO IN THE WORLD can drive like that on a normal day?

Apparently Jamie can.

Not everyone lives beside an expressway packed with cars going 75 mph. Some are lucky enough to be able to take quiet rural roads where they're going and on top of that can choose a route that is optimized for pulse & glide & engine-off-coasting.

Of course it's slower than the freeway. But he was pretty up front about his tank average speed of "around 35".

And if he's using P&G, there's definitely no drafting going on, and it can't be downhill driving if it's a tank of gas going back and forth to work.

Quote:
I think 70mpg is a COMPLETE crock of $h1T....

So don't believe him.

See if you believe Road and Track magazine instead. They did an article about pulse and glide in 1992 when they drove a Metro XFi and got 116 mpg at an average speed of 20 mph. Suddenly 71.6 at 35 mph doesn't look like such a stretch, does it?

The R&T article starts about 1/3 of the way down this page:

Q: How do you get 116 mpg (US) in a Metro XFi? A: Pulse and glide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:38 am 
Bozo the crying clown

That's great that you're defending him from the evil BB poster(Jimmyjr), but....
My point is..... That's NOT a REAL mpg comparison...It's NOT normal driving, so in reality...it doesn't count...

So if THAT's the case.....Then I can back up MY claim of 300mpg by being pulled by wrecker...
I STILL got the mileage, right? but... I was being pulled along by another vehicle..... :roll:

Even the US government changed their MPG ratings to reflect CURRENT driving conditions...Traffic/freeway/A/C on, etc
SO all these B.S. claims by the hybrid makers saying their cars get 60mpg, IN REALITY are getting ONLY 45-48MPG.....AFTER the ratings changed....

ANF FOR THE RECORD......

I wasn't bagging on the kid, himself...He's seems intelligent....But..this post is about fuel economy, NOT what a geo "COULD DO" if.......you did this.... and this...... and the wind was blowing and you were ONLY going 30mph with a tailwind and you removed the seats and adjusted the timing to reflect true magnetic north while driving at night underneath the full moon during a meteor shower...

COME ON MAN....Get real :-B

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:58 am 

For some people (me included, which is why I spoke up), it's a challenge to push the car & driving technique for maximum fuel economy suitable for a particular route, just like other guys work on lowering their quarter mile or lap times at the track.

jimmyjr wrote:
My point is..... That's NOT a REAL mpg comparison...It's NOT normal driving, so in reality...it doesn't count...

I don't know why this fires people up so much. As long as the full context is given, and there's no attempt to deceive, what's the issue? So it doesn't apply to your typical driving - big deal!

If you want to claim 300 mpg behind a wrecker for your "typical" driving, go for it. It honestly wouldn't bother me. But I would suggest you find a more reliable Geo ;)

Quote:
this post is about fuel economy, NOT what a geo "COULD DO"

And that's exactly what was posted - fuel consumed commuting to work and back.

The OP at the top of this thread never said anything about "you must only post if you get worse than 55 mpg, and you must use interstates and go at least 60 mph, and you must not modify your car." He said: "I want to make a huge thread of what everybody drives and gets in terms of mileage." That seems like what happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:18 am 
Bozo the crying clown

All you need to do NOW is start talking about 11:11 angels.

<yawn>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:26 am 

Wow, I didn't mean to get you all fired up. I guess I should have known from my last mileage update.
Quote:
WHO IN THE WORLD can drive like that on a normal day?
I can and did for almost 500 miles on that tank and another almost 500 miles on the last tank. I still get to work like everyone else just takes a little longer. I commute 50 miles a day and can go 2 weeks between fill-ups (of about $20 of gas). That has become normal for me and I like it :D .
Quote:
So if THAT's the case.....Then I can back up MY claim of 300mpg by being pulled by wrecker...
I STILL got the mileage, right? but... I was being pulled along by another vehicle.....

Does your car have a fuel leak? Mine could get infinite mpg under those conditions :D
But seriously, don't knock it till you try it.

90 day ave, 69.23 U.S. mpg
longest range on 1 tank, 790 miles
(click below to see more info on my car, including a gas log)
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/272

Last edited by jwxr7 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:34 pm 

I can stop posting my #s here if it is not useful to others. I only meant to share what a geo can do if driven a certain way. If I am not informative enough as to how I did it please click the link to my gas log in my signature. The latest entries may not list every technique I used during that tank but you can assume I am using techniques and mods described in earlier gas log post if they were effective. I didn't really keep track of my average speed much in the past, but plan to from now on. I used to read other people's #s (like on Darin's website and on gassavers.org) and want to get that good of FE. If it weren't for them I probably wouldn't be able to get the mileage I get.

Last edited by jwxr7 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:30 pm 

:?

Last edited by jwxr7 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:20 pm 

jwxr7 don't take that guy too seriously he has a kind of warped view of what is capable out of these cars and is convinced he gets the best mileage on the planet and everyone else is stupid or lying :)

Me personally I really should start using some special techniques driving to get my numbers really up higher than they are but I can't help it I like speeding :)

BTW my goal is to beat MetroMPG's mileage without using special driving, only car mods. I don't think I will ever get it though, he is just a good driver :( Your mileage is getting close to his so maybe soon I will have a new target to go after :-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:59 pm 

Well I haven't been posting my mileage here for a long time, but why not add some fuel to the fire... ;)

Filled up tonight: 4.76 US gal., 383.5 miles = 80.5 mpg (US) (fill calculation).

I can't tell you my average speed over the tank because I lost the ScanGauge cumulative info when I used it in my sister's Camry hybrid this week. But it was probably in the low-mid 30's mph.

This evening's round trip to the auto parts store & then to the gas station: P&G the whole way on sub/urban roads (route chosen because it has little traffic on it) for 7.1 miles, 36 mph max., 15 mph avg. = 113 mpg (US) (ScanGauge data).

Coyote: I'm probably no better at driving than you, but it sounds like I'm more patient!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:10 am 

Coyote X wrote:
Me personally I really should start using some special techniques driving to get my numbers really up higher than they are but I can't help it I like speeding :)

I was thinking about doing some more aero mods so I can raise my average speed without losing FE.
Quote:
BTW my goal is to beat MetroMPG's mileage without using special driving, only car mods. I don't think I will ever get it though, he is just a good driver Your mileage is getting close to his so maybe soon I will have a new target to go after
Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition :D .

btw Nice fill up geometro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:47 pm 

My latest fill up was 537 miles and 9.425 gallons... 56.98 mpg. This is with the blue Metro driving mostly interstate at 60-65 mph.

Jeremiah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:59 pm 

I gotta try it. I've been driving fast and coasting without knowing it had benefits. I'll try to do it more. Plus I'll try to maintain 35 on my next tank of gas. It's tough though because I have street lights on the way to work.

2000 Chevy Metro 1.3L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:49 pm 

1991 Geo Metro Convertible standard. 42.5 MPG Rebuilt the motor when I first got the car since I was getting around 35mpg and had combined compression of less than 300 for all three cylinders. I have a huge leak at my donut gasket. I beat on the car. For added weight I have a 15" sub and box in the trunk plus amp. I blocked off Pcv valve because the bracket screw broke. I have a 7" chromed out air filter(don't know what they are called looks like one of the muscle car ones but smaller)

Need to fix exhaust leak, pcv valve/breather. I am only shooting for around 45mpg.

2001 Kia Sephia Standard 26mpg

1978 Dodge Aspen(auto)...like 16 mpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:51 pm 

Hey geometro can you describe the p&g method in detail. Do you shut off your engine? What's your top speed? Do you continue until you coast to a stop?

2000 Chevy Metro 1.3L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:55 am 

Sure.

Plus here are 2 articles that go into it in detail:

http://metrompg.com/posts/xfi-pulse-and-glide.htm
http://metrompg.com/posts/pulse-and-glide.htm

I do shut off the engine during the glide.

Top speed depends on how fast I'm trying to go :). Around town, I typically top out just above the speed limit (30 mph).

Pulse:

- during the pulse, I usually accelerate with about 50-70% of full throttle (once the engine is warm), but I upshift around 2400 rpm

Glide:

- at the end of the pulse, I shift into N (without the clutch - easy & effortless if you time it properly) while pressing the ignition kill switch (attached to the shifter)

Clutch start:

- at the end of the glide, I press the clutch & shift into a gear that's about 2 gears higher than I would normally use for my current speed (e.g. 4th gear for a road speed around 25 km/h with my taller Swift 1.3 transmisison)

- partially release the clutch (quickly) to restart the engine, and immediately push it in again. Engine is now running.

- clutch in & select proper gear for current road speed & match revs before re-engaging clutch

---

Do I coast to a complete stop? Only if I'm planning to stop - like coming up to a red light or stop sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:51 pm 

I tried it for a while and my mpg went down. :( I'm sure I'm not as dedicated as you are though. I got like 37 instead of 40 like last time but I did a lot of city driving and something is still wrong with my car...I'm working out the bugs.

I can't drive like that all the time. Sometimes I'm relaxed and I can do it, but other times I want to get movin! I don't feel comfortable turning off the engine. I do it however more than other people when I'm at a long light or the the guy when the guy in front of me is ordering 10 tacos, 5 cheeseburgers, 2 milkshakes, 6 large fries, 4 apple pies, and of course a diet coke.
:-P
Anyway. I have noticed that my car is great at coasting. It has LRR tires and I can coast a good 1/2 mile while or more. I just have to think that I don't need to go fast now, because in 20 seconds I'll need to stop. Most people want to pass me approaching an intersection, but I pass them going through the intersection. :D

I gotta put a hood scoop in and fix my air/fuel problem. It's not running good until it warms up and it boggs pretty bad sometimes until the turbo kicks in. It seems to be getting worse but I'm not sure.

2000 Chevy Metro 1.3L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:00 pm 

Darrell wrote:
I don't feel comfortable turning off the engine.

Say no more. Nobody should do this if they're not comfortable with it, and if they're new to it, not in traffic. It would be easy to make a mistake if things get hectic.

Quote:
Anyway. I have noticed that my car is great at coasting. It has LRR tires

What kind/size?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:04 pm 

just thought I'd add a new fill-up. 514.9 miles on 7.332 gallons = 70.23 US mpg. More traffic than last tank = less P&G and a slightly higher ave speed. Also had a little more city driving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:59 pm 

Here in Arizona, I would surely get shot if I did it continuously. People just dont have patience here.

2000 Chevy Metro 1.3L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:49 pm 

Advanced timing a little. Ran 90% highway at 50-80mph. Increase from 42.5mpg(50% city/highway) to 46.5mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:49 am 

new fill; 621.6 miles on 8.507 gallons = 73.07 mpg. ave speed around 40 mph, almost zero P&G, my normal amounts of EOC. Added kammback and half skirts to the back of the car 200 miles into this tank also taped up slots and holes in rear hubcaps. Here is a garage pic of aero mods http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=12319

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:27 am 
Bozo the crying clown

Too bad you can't drive it in the rain. :-(
Your bodykit will turn back into wood pulp and the tape will fall off.

Very impressive #'s though.

Maybe you could try and pitch the idea of cardboard body kits to General Motors...You know...for people who want to change the look of their car, without permanent modifications.... :roll:

P.S. Dontcha quit drinkin'!!! I dig you JUST the way you are! :-)

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:46 am 

Quote:
Too bad you can't drive it in the rain.
Your bodykit will turn back into wood pulp and the tape will fall off.
I have actually drivien in rain a couple times. It's surprising how much cardboard can take 8) . The cardboard is just a protoype that will be replaced with coroplast soon, and will probably cover the whole opening. It's hard to get the shape right and still clear the tire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:36 pm 

I drove with a cardboard grille block & wheel skirts (everything painted black) on my car all through the winter. Looked like crap by the time spring arrived, but they were still doing their job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:04 pm 

With rebuilt tranny and no muffler last tank was 37.8 MPG. This was a week of commuting to work and home. 27 miles one way. 70+ mph 85% of driving and 5 stoplights at most. Its been 90+ here too the last week so A/C has been cranked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next