TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:16 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:57 pm 

(Only have a winter shot with the snow chains)

about 35-40 MPG

50 MPG highway

the swapped GC8 :

Gets weekend time only, as it averages about 23-25 MPG on the highway.

Post subject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:44 pm 

LooseCannon wrote:
sounds good to me.
you can understand my confusion with exactly $20 right?

Sure, no problem! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:21 pm 

I get 22.13 MPG or 10.63 Litres per 100 Kms. I drive mostly in the city, but this seems very bad. I believe I should be only using at least 6 litres per 100 Kms.

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=16888&highlight=fuel+efficiency

My post is the most recent concerning this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Trev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:51 pm 

1992 swift GT/ 5speed 4.10 final drive/ DOHC/400-425km city/ 450-500km highway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:23 pm 

Aamp wrote:
I get 22.13 MPG or 10.63 Litres per 100 Kms. I drive mostly in the city, but this seems very bad. I believe I should be only using at least 6 litres per 100 Kms.

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=16888&highlight=fuel+efficiency

My post is the most recent concerning this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Trev.

Hey Trev,

I owned an 86 Forsa with the same engine as yours and got anywhere from a minimum of 35 MPG to over 40 in the city if I took it easy. The
only difference was that mine was a 5-speed. Automatic transmissions do use more gas but certainly not that much!

Try replacing the usual stuff first...

>Spark plugs & wires

>Distributor cap & rotor

>PCV valve

>Air filter - See if you can get a K & N filter when they go on sale at Canadian tire. Fram has a similiar one called "Air Hog".

>Fuel filter

>Mobil-1 "Higher Mileage" synthetic in the crankcase. (I use 10W30 in my 91 GT)

>Go with 100% synthetic in your auto trans. (I use "Tech 2000" from Walmart in my wife's 2001 Esteem Wagon).

>You could also try a bottle of that carb cleaner from Canadian Tire.

>Check your timing and advance it a bit but not to the point where it
starts to "ping" under load.

>Could be the thermostat too if it is sticking open. It happened to me when I had my Forsa.

If you have the (Government forced :x ) emissions testing in Manitoba that test will let you know if you have an oxygen sensor problem or not.

>Max out your tire pressure as per the side wall and reduce any unnecessary weight inside the vehicle.

Hopefully I've covered all the bases and this info helps!

If anyone else has anything further to add please do.

Rickster :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:51 pm 

Thanks for the tips Rick,

I've just recently done the plugs (NGK), wires, distributor, rotor, fuel filter, and air filter (just a Motomaster one).

I already run my tires at the maximum pressure stated.

I would like to convert over to synthetic oils and most likely will when I get my transmission flushed again (just had it done earlier this year).

I don't think it is my thermostat, although I'm not sure what the symptoms of that failing would be. I haven't checked the PCV valve yet though now that you've mentioned it, I most likely will. I don't know about the O2 sensor, but wouldn't the engine light come on if it were malfunctioning?

I normally wouldn't start tearing my engine apart as I only have a very basic knowledge of the engine and all of its components but I really want to figure this one out. It seems my mileage appears to be one of the worst, if not THE lowest ever reported on this forum.

After searching this forum, I found out that problems with the EGR valve may affect fuel effeciency, and if this is so, I think I may have found my culprit. It appears my EGR valve and its surrounding components are packed tight with carbon! My carbeurator gasket was also deteriorated.

I hope that once this is all cleared up that it corrects the problem and that it's not only a sign of a much larger issue. I can only imagine what the carbon on the crowns of the pistons must be like. Anybody know how I can find out and clean them?

Once again, thanks Rickster for the Swift reply. Every little suggestion helps. I'm hoping that I can fix this thing before it gets cold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:02 pm 

Here are the pictures that didn't display above:

This stuff's tough like crayon wax!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:35 pm 

omg! that is some serious carbon buildup, even if it is on the egr side of things....personally, i would tear that thing down and do a nice rebuild, i have read your large post of everything and, at the bare minimum i would do O2 sensor and egr valve......maybe try some stuff we have hear in the states called Seafoam...not sure if you can get it at your local canadian tire like it seems everyone in canada gets everything they need, but, maybe do some searching? i put some into my 1.0l when i first got it....though it had 198,000 miles (175K before new pistons and rings)....it never got below 40....even when i threw some 205-40R16's on it....if you want or need any 1.0l (89-94 i dont know if they can be used on yours) engine parts, i have 2 complete 1.0L manuals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:52 pm 

Aamp wrote:
Thanks for the tips Rick,

I've just recently done the plugs (NGK), wires, distributor, rotor, fuel filter, and air filter (just a Motomaster one).

I already run my tires at the maximum pressure stated.

I would like to convert over to synthetic oils and most likely will when I get my transmission flushed again (just had it done earlier this year).

I don't think it is my thermostat, although I'm not sure what the symptoms of that failing would be. I haven't checked the PCV valve yet though now that you've mentioned it, I most likely will. I don't know about the O2 sensor, but wouldn't the engine light come on if it were malfunctioning?

I normally wouldn't start tearing my engine apart as I only have a very basic knowledge of the engine and all of its components but I really want to figure this one out. It seems my mileage appears to be one of the worst, if not THE lowest ever reported on this forum.

After searching this forum, I found out that problems with the EGR valve may affect fuel effeciency, and if this is so, I think I may have found my culprit. It appears my EGR valve and its surrounding components are packed tight with carbon! My carbeurator gasket was also deteriorated.

I hope that once this is all cleared up that it corrects the problem and that it's not only a sign of a much larger issue. I can only imagine what the carbon on the crowns of the pistons must be like. Anybody know how I can find out and clean them?

Once again, thanks Rickster for the Swift reply. Every little suggestion helps. I'm hoping that I can fix this thing before it gets cold.

Hi again Trev,

WOW! :shock: That carbon/sludge buildup is nasty!
Getting that cleaned out should help. Then take it out on the highway
for a "pedal to the metal" flog. That will clean the balance out!
If that fails, try a bottle of combustion chamber cleaner.
Maybe another member reading this will have some ideas.

The check engine light may come on for the O2 sensor if the light is working okay but you never know on an older car.

As far as the thermostat goes. If it is stuck open your idle will be fairly
high. If your car is idling normally around 800 - 1000 rpm then the thermostat is probably okay.

I swear by synthetics...especially where you live! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:47 pm 

Thanks so much guys. You've really given me a lot of ideas.

The car has likely been like this for a long time. I've only put 10,000 Kms on it over the past 2 years, mainly in the city. The guy who owned it before me obviously had it apart because the gaskets were damaged and not replaced, and the vacuum lines were all out of order. He probably gave up on it due to this problem. The car has always run good but has always given me poor mileage, only I was oblivious to this up until now. With gas prices only getting higher, there's no better time to straighten this out.

I'll pick up a new O2 sensor tomorrow as well as a PCV valve and some gasket material. My thermostat appears to be okay. I've really been considering doing a complete engine re-build over the winter, but then I might have to find another beater car. That, or I could rebuild most of the spare engine that I have in my garage (it's missing a few of the emissions controls that mine has. No EGR etc. And parts in general) and swap the parts in the spring. I don't know yet, I'm learning more and more everyday through the vast resources and people on this site as well as on-hand, trial and error experience. Right now, I just don't want to screw up my daily driver.

I'll try to locate some of that Seafoam stuff, or something like it to help clean it out. Would I have to first add that stuff, then swap my new spark plugs for my old ones as not to get the new ones filthy with soot (?), then take it out for a rip? Or can I just leave the new ones in without having carbon or soot build up on them? My old ones are pretty carboned up already but they appear to have normal wear.

Thanks for all your help guys. If it weren't for Team Swift, I would have probably never diagnosed or attempted these repairs and thanks for reading my lenghty "boring" posts. Perhaps through my problems and fixes experience, I may be able to help someone out in the future.

As for the time being, I get to drive this:

Former Sprint of BV1. Now owned by my pops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:55 am 

Hey Aamp,

You're very welcome for our help. We're all here to help each other!:D

I would leave the old plugs in and after adding the combustion cleaner and taking the car for a rip, pull the plugs and see how effective the cleaner was. Then install the new plugs.

I'm now heading north to Wasaga Beach for the rest of the week.
To work...not play! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:56 am 

Hey...it doesnt really matter whether you have the new or the old ones in....i know from experience that you will know whether it did its work or not....if u do get seafoam, add it thru the brake booster line, the car will start, suck it in, then die, then you let it sit for 5, maybe 10 minutes. After that it will be a really big pain to start the car, but it will go, and when it does, have someone by the tailpipe and if they see black smoke at ALL coming out....its been cleaned. This happened with my cousins 1987 4wd Toyota pickup with a 2.5L 4cyl....he said he really saw the black comin out and noticed a small power and small gas mileage gain.\

ANYWAYS, back to what the thread is about...

1993 Geo Metro FULLY converted to 1990 Swift Gt...Stock engine other than cone filter and 2.25" straight pipe into a cheapie $20 muffler...

35mpg city, 37mpg open highway, 33mpg when I go cruising and do some 2nd gear (40mph) drop and launches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:41 am 

1998 firefly 1.0 5-speed

best tank: 4.2 L/100km / 67.1 mpg (UK) / 55.9 mpg (US)
highway driving
works out to about 950 kms full to empty

worst tank: 6.4 L/100km / 44.1 mpg (UK) / 36.8 mpg (US)
city driving
about 625 kms on this tank

driven very lightly most of the time.

http://metrompg.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:37 pm 

Sorry guys about going off topic, with the "dirty" pictures and all. I will post my *fingers crossed* improved mileage when my work is done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:07 pm 

91 Sprint/1.0L 3cyl/800km's per tank/3.75L per 100km's or 63 miles per US gallon/highway driving 150km daily, I do it at 85km/hr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:09 am 

89 Swift GTI runnin 19Mpg city 100 an somthin miles to a full tank. =( i dont know whats wrong lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:59 pm 

Wow you may need to get that checked out. Check timing.

I got 25 mpg 1st tank. I set my timing to factory specs. Next tank was 36mpg (around 228.6 miles with 6.35 gal). Filled up yesterday. 285.2 miles with 7.72 gal. = 36.94 mpg.

This is with a '96 1.0L 4.105 geared 5spd HB. 172,000 on clock. 175/70/13

I drive 40 miles with about 7 lights at around 45-50 mph. And 40 miles with 70 mph, no stops. This is 5 days a week.

I should be getting better mileage aswell. This is with bad plugs, wires, cap/rotor & the coil looks to need replacing as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:35 pm 

Thanks man Ill check my timing and i will also get new plugs wires and cap/rotor thanks alot.

Russ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:07 pm 

1991 Geo metro, 4 door, 1.0, auto trans. 43-47 mpg highway on a long trip. Seems to get the best mileage at 60 mph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:59 pm 

93 Metro 1.0 Auto/ I got 47 mpg for 2 tanks, 51 for 1 tank, ALL HWY 65 to 70 MPH. Not sure on the average.

Mods at the time
4 New tires, and Whole front end Suspention parts
Royal Purple
Lucus Oil Trans
Lucus Fuel every 10th tank< 3 ozs.
Ground Kit

*** That 47 MPG was on a trip. Probally 400lbs added w/ pass and stuff. I had also just gave the car a tune up. I also use Premium gas on road trips. I average between 37 to 42MPG on average< Hwy and Cty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:23 am 

Mine regularly uses between 5.2 and 5.6 litres for 100km. No idea what that is in mpg.

The car was totally neglected by the previous owners. They practically never changed oil or fixed anything, so the compression has suffered too. A newer engine would certainly have better economy.

Helmut

Last edited by Helmut on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:18 pm 

I average 34 mpg in the GT (with the tps unhooked and a 4.39 tranny )

my GF gets only 36 avg. mpg in the LSi :ez_sick: (it has the 4.10 5 speed, irony?) going change the fuel filter, wires and reset the timing and see if it helps

see them at http://www.fquick.com/Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:02 am 

Helmut wrote:
Mine regularly uses between 5.2 and 5.6 litres for 100km. No idea what that is in mpg.
Helmut

42-45 MPG.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/fuel_consumption.htm

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:41 pm 

Min 46 mpg in the winter (20F)
Max 54 mpg in the summer (80F)
1.0 5 speed 4.10
mostly highway at 65 MPH
Weather seems to be the only thing that effects my fuel economy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:45 am 

Swift Gti
I've reached 6.2l/100km this week,my best so far.Aproximately 50/50 city/highway driving.

Converted to mpg it's 37.9...Is it good or bad?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next