TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:51 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:52 am 

I just got an e-mail yesterday asking that no one buy gas sept 1 as a protest to the high prices ,has any one else see it and what are you thaoughts?
Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:39 am 
Sparky

every time the gas prices go up they try this. The catch is too many people will not pay attn to this and buy gas anyway. The ones who do are never enough to make a difference. Katrina is not helping matters any either, warning about gas shortages in this area will prompt me to go get 3 gal tonight and fill up the car. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:53 am 

i think another reason it doesnt work is , even if no one bought fuel on that day, the next day would be jambed up at the pumps. if we could come up with a way to convince everyone to ride the bus or not drive for a day that way the fuel isnt used for a day,it wouldnt need to be replenished.

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:04 pm 

I already dont buy gas on 27 or 28 days of the month, so I dont think its that special to avoid buying it on Sept 1st.. Unless people are cutting back on their fuel usage that month by going to the pumps one less time (and getting less gas overall), I dont see the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:32 pm 

I dont see why people bitch about it. Theres nothign we can do obviously, they'll set them as high as they want an nomatter how much bitching and complaining we do we still buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:27 am 

Unless everyone wont buy gas, the market will eat it. Its that simple. Gas went up 11 cents last night..... back over the buck a litre out here (106.9.... I'd hate to live in Van or North Van... lol).

'94 Suzuki Swift g10 3tech stuff:Port&Polish,225/355 cam,11:1 CR, SS valves,+10 Cam gear,underdrive; K&N intake; LTLSU's Custom racing springs with Monroe struts (2" lower front, 0.5" lower back); 185/55/R14 Kumho Ecsta SPT tires on Eagle 040 rims; Stripped out interior and removed AC system

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:44 am 

eh, gas jumped $.30 here this morning....now at $2.99 a gallon for regular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:01 pm 

A new spin on the same old idea I've seen is "don't buy gas from X company for a year." They try to say that not buying gas from, say, Exxon/Mobil will cause gas prices to drop. Which is retarded, because your money is still going to another gas company, and when Exxon starts making less money, chances are they will drop their gas prices and these schmucks will actually be forcing themselves to pay more for gas than they have to... the very opposite of what they are trying to accomplish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:13 pm 

i HAD to pay a gas this afternoon :roll: but i only pay 4 bucks for 3.7L :shock: i will go to gas station tomorrow... i hopefully they drop to about 92 cents/litre :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:15 pm 
banned

3.29 here, I'm avoiding driving basically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:25 pm 

I was In toronto Canada tonight it is $1.34 a litre, at my place it is $1.13 a litre. I'm happy I filled up 70litres of gas cans at 97 cents a litre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:09 am 

3.39/Gal USD where i go to school and 1.39/L CAN where i live. rediculous... haven't filled up since the gas spike but it'l more than likely still be under $40

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:18 pm 

I stuck in 29.50 for 20 litres out here two days ago.... 1.21, but that was for 94 octain as its what my car takes due to ignition timing (and part of the reason I get 62mpg). Thats the most I've ever spend on putting gas in my car for two reasons, one is I never let it get below half and the other is obvios b/c of this thread. lol

'94 Suzuki Swift g10 3tech stuff:Port&Polish,225/355 cam,11:1 CR, SS valves,+10 Cam gear,underdrive; K&N intake; LTLSU's Custom racing springs with Monroe struts (2" lower front, 0.5" lower back); 185/55/R14 Kumho Ecsta SPT tires on Eagle 040 rims; Stripped out interior and removed AC system

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:51 pm 

Gas prices suck.. So what am I doing? I'm puttin down a few hundred bucks to take motorcycle lessons. So within a month I should have my license (yay, just in time for winter :-( ), hopefully I can get a cheap Suzuki from somewhere (I refuse to buy anything else.. :-P )

I dont know if anyone else will find these entertaining, but I do, so heres 2 comics for ya..

-----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:49 pm 

nice... lol... but the saudis and opec make billions a year in proffit for a reason dude........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:56 pm 

Gas is about $4USD/Gal or $1.29CND/L, Hamilton, Ontario
Insane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:19 am 

Zurech wrote:
nice... lol... but the saudis and opec make billions a year in proffit for a reason dude........

Well if they didnt make a profit then they'd have no incentive to pump oil and then there would be even less of it, and prices would be even higher. *shrug*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:26 am 

I know, but its called price gouging and is the reason why cartels are illigal in common business practice in the western world (because they promote a monopoly on whatever product they controll... and fossile fules just happen to be controlled by such an organization). On top of Opec and other fuel supplying nations, what happens in the stock market should take literally 2 months to play out to what happens @ the pumps because oil refining takes time.

However, it happens almost instantly to make more money for those that sell gas on the local market (the oil/gas companies). The same thing to some degree is happening with Katrina's effects. The oil companies themselves are gouging to make extra profit, using scare tactics to ramp up the cost of oil. Yes the demand per the supply has increased, I am not denying that. Yes, the price should go up because of that (but this is short term). However, its the fact that its going up on top of the ever increasing prices of the last year.

A bit of information regarding that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_price_ ... es_of_2004

Locally, my town gets screwed with gas prices more then others in our area because we are outside (just) of a regional district of gas tax and it should be 10.5 cents cheaper per litre (always, according to law) then Vancouver's regional district. However, thats not the case (usally we are 5-6 cents... sometimes 9-10 [rarely], other times the same price [happening more in the last few months].) The oil companies that set prices for gas stations have been forcing the local ones to raise the price due to the contracts they have(they have no say in their gas price, and still only make a small percent profit no matter the price ; if they change the price without consent they face massive fines.) There are a number of lawsuites in the courts provincially and federally about this, although they are very futile in actual fact.

Now, my town is not the only place this is happening provincially or federally. And I'm sure its not just happening in Canada.

Those things and my take on them make me bitter towards views represented in that comic you posted as they are an extremley simplified and a utopianistic view on the subject (although, do not get me wrong, I do see the humor in it and I did laugh when I first read it.)

Read this article, and mind the last paragraphs:
http://www.opec.org/opecna/Press%20Rele ... 132005.htm

Right @ the end there is a statement from the Saudi's regarding oil production. They said they will curb the effect of Katrina. That in its own right should calm the price of gas on the world markets... but in North America it has not mattered.

Also, check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_crisis

Its rather interesting aswell.

Sorry for the long rant/post, but I'm tired of all the "oh the gas price is this" thread's I've been seeing in most of the forums I frequent. Then people now blaming everything on Katrina when its been happening slowly for a while now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:20 pm 
I actually hope gas prices keep rising.. it will weed out the people who can't afford to drive and mean more commuters on public transit... leaving the roads less populated so i can drive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:15 am 

If we had a transit system like the UK then I would not mind. But out here locally it is horrid. It takes an hour to get somewhere it takes 30-40 minutes to walk to (seriously!!). In Vancouver, its a lot better, but out here it is crap. And there are tons of places that dont even have transit.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:29 am 

Sounds like if I lived there I be doing quite a bit of walking.

Right now I walk every day for the exercise, and some days I do that walking in the city, so any time I can get from A to B in 30 mins on foot and take more than that driving, you know I'm gonna both exercise and save gas at the same time.