TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:02 pm 
Jerkoff

well i've had my '95 Metro 2dr for about 4 months now. i figured i had a 30L tank since i've never put more than 26L in it when it shows almost empty. anyways from reading different posts on here and talking to other owners it seems i should have a 40L tank. checked out the owners manual today and it also says 40L. so i guess what i'm wondering is where may my problem be. do 30L tanks exist? (maybe someone replaced the tank) bad sensor or bent rod? i know the cluster is out of something else, but that shouldn't matter.

any ideas or suggestions?

thanks,
andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:43 pm 

All MK2 cars had 40 litre tanks (dont ask me for a gallon conversion :lol: ) Lihtans rule of thumb is that when you hit the empty red mark, you still have around 100km to go. I have never put more than 32l into my car, and I usually get about 425-450km of driving, and the car has never bogged once or stumbled due to low fuel.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:12 pm 

40L is rough 10.5gal

he is right... but its not good idea to drive under "e" mark.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:56 pm 

LooseCannon wrote:
well i've had my '95 Metro 2dr for about 4 months now. i figured i had a 30L tank since i've never put more than 26L in it when it shows almost empty. anyways from reading different posts on here and talking to other owners it seems i should have a 40L tank. checked out the owners manual today and it also says 40L. so i guess what i'm wondering is where may my problem be. do 30L tanks exist? (maybe someone replaced the tank) bad sensor or bent rod? i know the cluster is out of something else, but that shouldn't matter.

any ideas or suggestions?

thanks,
andrew

The cluster does matter - especially if the "something else" it came out of is not a Metro or a variant. The fuel guage is designed to work with a sender of a specific impedance, change one or the other and you could get the calibration off.

Doesn't sound like yours is too far off though - I find when mine hits E, it'll take 30 litres, and like everyone else posted, it is a 40 litre tank, I've taken it down to 38 litres or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:20 am 
Jerkoff

ok so basically they read empty @ 30L but still have 10L to go. that sucks. i mean i would rather the gauge be more accurite, i'm not gonna trust driving on E for another 100kms.

thanks for all the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:37 am 

In all honesty, I think Suzuki had a method to their madness. Since the fuel pump is in the tank, its cooled by the gas. When you run out of gas, the pump runs, and gets hot and can wear extremely quickly. If you only go to 30L per tank, you have a nice cushion. And that also means that you don't have customers that are stranded by the road as awesome (uh-oh, empty tank, time to fill up!).

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:18 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

When your fuel gets *really* low (4 - 5 liters left) you'll start getting fuel starvation after you take corners, which should be a sign that you're long overdue for refueling. In MK3s, the resolution of the fuel gauge is very poor by the time you have less than 10 liters in the tank. In MK2s, they stop reading entirely once the needle hits the E.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:17 am 

This all makes sense. My Mk3 has a 10 gallon tank. Every time I fill up when the gauge is on or just above the red on "E", it only takes 6.5-7 gallons to fill.

"M3 like the BMW?"
"No, like the Gillette razor."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:55 pm 
Jerkoff

well i decided to take it further than ever before. waited until the needle was below the empty line! and it took exactly 29.99L!! i think the needle will swing back to full if i wait until it can take 40L. LOL. the car went 413km on that 30L's (7.26L/100kms), so i guess i'd be good for about 550km on a tank if i ever had the balls. :) oh and that's city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:40 am 

I've got the same problem with my two cars ('91 Firefly and '94 Geo). The gauge shows empty way before they're actually empty. If you fill up when the gauge is near empty you'll get maybe 25-30L in the tank.

I've found that I can drive around for a long time on empty. The gauge will go below empty and you'll get lots of warning when it's time to fill up. You'll notice the car stuttering when you take hard corners. Even then you've still got a few liters in the tank to get to a gas station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:04 pm 

aw... Stop you all's whineing. My gauge broke a couple years ago. I use a post it pad as a "Trip" odometer and just drive 400miles then fill up.

Last tank, 386mi, 7.083gal!

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:03 pm 

woodrufj wrote:
aw... Stop you all's whineing. My gauge broke a couple years ago. I use a post it pad as a "Trip" odometer and just drive 400miles then fill up...

Ah yes, shades of the pre 1961 Volkswagens.
(no gas gauge, only came with a reserve valve -like most motorcycles)