TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:24 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:21 pm 

i've had my firefly for 6 months and from day one i wondered if the front calipers were sticking a bit. when coasting to a stop with the clutch in and without touching the brakes, there always seemed to be a very slight "lurch" at the end - as if my toe was resting lightly on the brake pedal (it wasn't).

but i wasn't sure if this was because the car is lighter than i am used to. any disk brake pads will rest very slightly against the rotors after releasing the pedal, and maybe the car is light enough that this is just more evident than in a heavier car.

so i took a chance and replaced both front calipers. i noticed right away that the car rolls more easily and the little "lurch" was gone.

at my last fill-up i got the best mileage since i got the car: 69 mpg (imperial) / 4.1 L/100km / 57.5 mpg (US). (all of which was for relaxed highway driving, avg. 90 km/h - 55 mph, in good weather)

i don't think i'll see much better than that. that beats the car's canadian highway mileage rating by 3 mpg (imp).

moral of the story: make sure your brakes are in good shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:48 am 

General question:

I've worked with the rear drum brakes on my 97 metro trying to get them to stop dragging. The auto-adjusters tighten them right back up. I've verified that the e-brake is not too tight.

Next time all you guys have your floor jack out, lift the rear of you car and spin the rear wheels. Do they spin free, or do they drag too? Am I the only one with this draggin drum brake problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:31 am 

danomite wrote:
General question:

I've worked with the rear drum brakes on my 97 metro trying to get them to stop dragging. The auto-adjusters tighten them right back up. I've verified that the e-brake is not too tight.

Next time all you guys have your floor jack out, lift the rear of you car and spin the rear wheels. Do they spin free, or do they drag too? Am I the only one with this draggin drum brake problem?

All drum brakes I've worked on drag a little, but in the grand scheme of 1800lbs doing 65mph, it gets lost in the noise.

Caution Professional Driver on a Closed course:
On my race truck, I pulled the auto adustment mechanism out. There is total free spin now. I've been lazy and letting the brakes get to low. I tore into the drums again (which only consists of pulling the wheel then pulling the drum off by hand) and turn the adjuster by hand two rotations, and good as new, still free spin. One day, I'll do the same to the metro.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:43 pm 

danomite wrote:
Next time all you guys have your floor jack out, lift the rear of you car and spin the rear wheels. Do they spin free, or do they drag too?

on the jack, my rear wheels spin freely. much more so than the fronts (even with the good calipers). auto adjusters and p-brake are working fine.

as you can read in my first post, i disagree with the notion that dragging brakes get lost in the noise. yes, you can ignore them (i lived with it for 6 months), but fixing the problem made a small but noticeable difference, both behind the wheel and in fuel economy.

(of course the amount of drag is a key question, right?)

like woodrufj's race truck, i could live without an auto-adjuster on my rears. the auto-adjuster didn't work (corrosion) on my last car (89 accord), so i used to adjust them by hand - in my case whenever i did an oil change. but i could do it thru a little access hole on the backing plate instead of taking off the wheels/drums. i haven't looked to see if my firefly has the same access hole.

so disabling the auto adjustment is viable, if you know what you're doing (and don't forget to adjust them periodically).