TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:42 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Electric Geo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:38 pm 
This guy is selling turnkey electric Geo Metros for $2495 US. I personally don't like the system design but thats just my opinion. The alternative is this kit but you need to provide the car, the labor to convert it, and the batteries the kit costs almost $7000 US!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:23 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

The crux of building EVs is that to get any useful range out them, you need a lot of batteries. In the amounts you need to power an EV, even commodity marine/rv deep discharge batteries start to get pricy. You still need to additionally purchase a motor, controllers and other assorted hardware. Building an EV is a commendable goal, but it's always going to be a couple grand worth of parts to build one.

The first kit, as far as EVs go, is pretty affordable, but you're not getting very much with it. If I were going to build an EV with commercial components, this would be my system of choice:
http://www.acpropulsion.com/Products/AC_150.htm
It provides in one box, a charge controller for a variety of battery chemistries (lead acid, NiCad, NiMH, LiIon), motor speed control, regenerative braking, instrumention output, datalogging, etc. There aren't any motors or other hardware included, but it's flexible enough to be adapted to whatever setup you'd want to use.

My advice to anyone wanting to build an EV would be to do plenty of research on the components and then decide what scale fits your finances. If you have prior experience with electronics or doing electrical work, you'll save some money if you can build some of the electronics yourself.

maybe a picture Thanks