TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coatings
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:00 am 

Anyone experimented with coatings for internal engine parts? I'm for sure gonna get the tops of my pistons and head/valves coated with ceramic, and the same company says they can do engine bearings and even the oil pump with a friction reducing coating if I want.
Stands to reson increasing thermal efficiency and reducing friction is a good step in the right direction for increasing MPG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:47 am 

How about done the actual coatings? :lol: My dad used to run a ceramic coatings business, and yes, most claims are valid, especially in protecting pistons/ stopping burnt valves. I know I'm gonna do alot of parts on my turbo 3 motor when I rebuild it soon. Also, my father used to do about 200 fittings in the friction reducer every two weeks for *IIRC* FracMaster, an oil field company out here. They loved it, said it really cut down on wear of any parts they had coated, and the coating is so thin that all it usually does is tighten up tolerances (no cleanup required).

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:45 pm 

That's a good thing, hopefully I'll never burn a valve then. I was looking at the site today, you can even have the exhuast ports coated when they do the head.
I hope all that heat retention will help spool my turbo pretty quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:51 am 

miniman82 wrote:
..... I was looking at the site today,......

What site might that be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:19 pm 

http://www.swaintech.com/
I read about them in a magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:54 pm 

Hey, I finally see something that I have expertise with. Ahh, coatings.
In the racing world, coatings are really the deal. I coat the tops of my pistons with a heat barrier coating, the underside with an oil retardant coating and the skirts with a friction reduction coating. The interesting thing about coatings is that you run the engine leaner to reach perfect combustion. Or you can keep the fuel mistures the same and run more boost in a forced induction deal. Coat the heads of the valves with a heat barrier, and the stem with a friction reduction. Coat the chamber of the cylinder. keeps the heat in the combustion chanber and out of the head. Then you coat the exhaust runner, the inside and outside of the headers. Then the intake side and coat the runners, the throttle body/carberator, or whatever the particualr engine has for induction. Then these guys get really wild with coating the counter weights on the crank with oil retardant film. Keeps resistance down. Coat the rods with more oil retardant stuff. Some of the guys are coating the water jackets to keep flow up. Coat the engine blocks and oil galleries to keep the sheet flow and pressure flow of oil unrestricted respectively.
For a sprint engine, I would coat the pistons top/skirt/bottom, the cylinder head chamber and heads of the valves. That will keep you much further from detonation than if you kept it uncoated. Above and beyond that, you are just spending money. But it will let you run leaner, with more boost and avoid detonation. It is really the cool deal.
I coat everyting at PolyDyn down in Texas. They do most of the NHRA stuff as well as most of the big NASCAR teams. I coat all of my wrist pins at anatach. But that is a different story all together.
http://www.polydyn.com
http://www.polydyn.com/hpecapp.htm
Their website sucks, but their coatings are AWESOME!