TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: front bumpers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:20 am 

Does anyone know why they use the big flat fronted bumper on the front of 4 doors but the nicely tapered one on the two doors? We recently aquired three 93's (one 4 door auto and two 2dr 5spds) and all have the big flat barn door front bumper. Wonder about changing them out for the "older?" tapered ones. Did that swap on my wifes 91 4dr 5sp and it seemed to improve milage. She drives @150 miles a day for work so we want the best milage we can get out of her car (the 4 door manual gets the best milage of any of our metros currently.) Started out getting about 45/46. Alignment put us at about 47. Going to the stock 145/12s gained another couple miles to about 49. Replacing the barn door bumper for the tapered one off a 2 door got her up to 51/52 consistently. Why did they go to the big flat bumper on the metros in 93? It seems like you would have to be pushing more air with them. Would appreciate any info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:05 pm 

Interesting question.

Don't suppose you have any pics of the 2 different styles?

Post subject: bumper pics
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:18 am 

No problem. Will have daughter take pictures and see if I can figure out how to upload them here (she's the techno whiz). We have a 90, two 91's, a 92, and now three 93's. All the early 2 dr's came with the tapered bumper. The early 4 dr's had the barn door (I checked them out on the street etc. after we got out first one and noticed the difference). All the 93's have the barn door. Must have something to do with air flow under the car or keeping it from going there rather, but our milage went up noticably after the bumper transplant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:42 am 

You might be able to find examples on the web, or in users' profiles. Just a thought - would save taking pics.

Post subject: bumper images
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:41 am 

Well, I'm just not a technowhiz. Can find all kinds of examples of the two different styles, but can't figure out how to get the images from there to here. Did find out from one article on the metro's history that they changed the front to "improve the look" in 92. Only problem with that is the older 4 doors like our 91 also had the bigger bumper.
At any rate, it sounds like the change was made without any aerodynamic cross section thoughts in mind. It was appearantly done for styling reasons instead. In light of that, we'll be keeping an eye on the junk yards and replace the bumpers on the three 93's we have. Again, going from the flat bumper to the tapered one on our '91 four door seemed to add a consistent couple miles per gallon. Well worth the change with the miles we rack up on them.

Post subject: pictures
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:55 am 

Oh, if you want to see the difference, both styles are on cars on ebay right now. Also there is a really good picture of the tapered bumper on the metro convertible on the consumerguide auto site under geo metro. Unfortunately, their photo of a 94 four door while having the flatter bumper doesn't have the same quality of image so it's hard to see the difference.

Post subject: Re: bumper images
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:01 am 

firdale wrote:
Well, I'm just not a technowhiz. Can find all kinds of examples of the two different styles, but can't figure out how to get the images from there to here.

You could copy & paste the address (URL) of the pages with the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:43 pm 
abby normal

firdale wrote:
Well, I'm just not a technowhiz. Can find all kinds of examples of the two different styles, but can't figure out how to get the images from there to here.

This post is in the FAQ section, and is helpful to me when posting images. :)

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:49 am 

I recently swapped my stock 99 front for an earlier 95 tapered front with signals. I really like the look of those better. I am swapping the signals out for driving/fog lights from Wallfart which have 3 bulbs and the same tapered outline. They fit right in.

Post subject: bumper swap
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:20 pm 

Have to let us know if it imporves gas milage as well as improving the looks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:33 pm 

I had a high calculation of 54 mpg (Canadian) usung coasting wherever possible before. I must change the tranny/clutch at this point andI will try again, so there will be a couple of rouge variables.

The looks made it more than worth while for me. I hated that open crate look of the 99 front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:24 pm 

Here is a shot of a 91 bumper and my 93 XFi. I just got the 91 and I like the looks of that bumper better so I will probably put it on my XFi. I will most likely close up the grille in it before mounting it to my car though. The car was sitting in a bad spot to get a good picture mostly because of the stuff in the background. I will try and get a better picture when I get that 91's tires pumped up and move it somewhere else this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:22 am 
abby normal

Looking forward to the detailed pictures. :)

BTY--Where did you get the aero wheel covers for the car on the left?... :shock:==:thumb2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:03 pm 

I made them out of 14 inch moon hubcaps and 12 inch trim rings from cripedistributing.com

I think it was around 50 bucks total shipping and all. I cut the moon down to fit the trim rings leaving a few tabs to bend over the rings. Took about 20 minutes each using a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a cutting wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:50 pm 

Here is a pic with a tarp in the background to make the bumper stand out a bit more. this set you can clearly see the differences in the bumpers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:13 am 

isnt that an lsi bumper?

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:50 am 

tuffcarguy wrote:
isnt that an lsi bumper?

I thought all MK3 Metros had that bumper. LSi just had a body-colored version. :?

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:00 pm 

I drove to work today with that 91 bumper on my car and on a downhill section I usually use to figure out if any aero mods helped this bumper doesn't seem to like higher speeds. I can normally coast to 75-76mph if I start at 60 at the top of the hill. With this bumper I got to 73. Another section with a long easy downhill I can start at 60 at the top and always coast to a certain spot at the bottom before it slows to 60. With this bumper I didn't quite make it. I will drive it the rest of the week and try it again. Next week I will put the 93 bumper back on and try it to see if something else is causing it to go slower. But from my first drive to work with the new bumper it doesn't seem as good to me as the flat one.

I put a grille block on it blocking most of the air from hitting that flat filler panel beside the radiator so the gain I got on the other bumper from doing that should be similar to the gain from doing it on this bumper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:41 am 

I have made 2 trips with the stock 93 bumper back on the car and the coasting time and distance has went back to normal. The temperature and weather has been pretty similar for each trip and I was being very careful to make sure to start at exactly 60mph at the top of the hill in the same spot when pulling it out of gear to coast down the hill. None of the runs had any traffic on the road with me so that didn't change the results. The three runs I made on the 91 bumper all had the same speeds and distances as the last post I made so the car was being pretty consistent.

So from this I think I will stick with the 93 bumper even though it looks nowhere near as aerodynamic I feel pretty confident in my test that I see no reason to try repeating it again.

The only thing that I didn't test was the bumpers without the grille blocks installed. I really don't think that is going to change much because they have been shown to help on pretty much every car they have been tested on. I will have the 91 bumper laying around in case someone comes up with some interesting ideas to test.

btw I was not able to add an attachment to this post it says: "Could not login to FTP Server. The Username 'teams4' or the Password is wrong. Please check your FTP-Settings."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:12 pm 

Coyote X wrote:
So from this I think I will stick with the 93 bumper even though it looks nowhere near as aerodynamic

Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have said that the "flat faced" 93 bumper would be a little more aerodynamic.

It's OK to have a flat forward facing surface, as long as the curves at the edges have generous radii (which your XFi does have).

From the little studying I've done about aero, the having the flat face of the bumper extend further down towards the road lowers the "stagnation point" - the point above which airflow is "split" between what flows up over the hood, and what flows downwards and goes under the car.

Lowering the stagnation point reduces total flow under the car and also reduces lift (and the induced drag that lift causes). Race car "splitters" on front air dams are the extreme example of manipulating the stagnation point (though they're also trying to reduce under-car pressure with them).

Check the Insight for example. Relatively vertical bumper face, that extends down toward the road. (Plus you get a view of those cool integrated deflectors in front of the tires.)

Post subject: Re: front bumpers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:37 am 

What about the non-GTi MK2 Swift bumper?

Attachments:
bumpers-front.jpg [22.82 KIB]
Downloaded 1925 times
bumpers-side.jpg [21.86 KIB]
Downloaded 1923 times

1990 Swift - Parts car
1993 Metro - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:22 am 

MK3 bumper is still better.

Believe it or not, this is even better:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:28 pm 

hey Dook,
How about a picture of the WalMart fog/driving lights?

2005 Harley Davidson XLC1200 (White)
1994 Geo Metro Coupe (Blue)
1957 Chevrolet Corvette 'Vert (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:57 am 

geometro wrote:
MK3 bumper is still better.

What makes it better? I prefer the look of the MK2 bumpers.

Assuming identical frontal area, the bumper cover just directs the air through, under, over or around it, right? Where's the best place to send that air? Over the car or around the sides?

And when blocking the grill, is blocking off the backside of the bumper as effective as the face?

1990 Swift - Parts car
1993 Metro - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 am 

Years ago, when I went from a stock MK 3 bumper to this,
image_id: 8668
I lost a small amount of mileage, but the cornering improved greatly.

I remeber reading somewhere, that the majority of air rides 1 inch off the body.