TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fuel Economy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:41 am 

I own a 1991 Pontiac Firefly with about 152 000 km on it and I am getting around 20mpg at best, some of the things i have replaced on the car are;

Fuel filter
Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
O2 Sensor(Completely plugged when i pulled it out)
Hooked up a fuel pressure guage running around(15 - 22 Psi)

Is there anything else i should be looking into to try to increase my fuel economy ?

Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:43 am 

Have you checked to see if your catalytic converter is plugged? That is atrocious gas mileage for one of these cars, even when worn out with the regular maintainence parts.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject: fuel economy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:44 am 

The cat is cut out it is just strait piped to the muffler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:37 pm 

My wife says: check the compression!!!

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:04 am 

smart gal.

Post subject: fuel economy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:10 pm 

I did a compression test already and that is not the probleme, that is was is confusing me, what else could it be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:55 am 

Fuel leak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:46 pm 

If you have a voltmeter check all the sensors on the car. There are not that many of them so it is a pretty easy job. Also check your timing and set it to around 8 degrees if you haven't already done so. Jack up the car and check that the wheels spin free without any dragging. The back wheels should spin a really long time and the fronts should spin but they have drag on them from the transmission and disk brakes so make sure one isn't dragging worse than the other. If the car has an EGR valve make sure it is not stuck.

Also check your exhaust manifold gasket for a leak. If it has a leak it will screw up your O2 sensor readings. Your intake manifold can be checked for leaks by spraying starting fluid on it while the engine is running and if the engine rpm changes then you found a leak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:20 am 

That is a lot of gas to put through the engine. I would definately expect some drivability issues. Are you having any other issues with the car? (high idle when warm, large amounts of soot around the tail pipe, lack of power etc....)
If you are having no issues with the motor, I would be looking to see if you are not leaking fuel onto the ground somewhere as that really is horrible mileage.
You haven't stated if it is a 1.0L and what transaxle you have. If this is the same car that you have been writing about in other posts, then I know the answers to these questions.
It sounds like you have the same car that I have and are having many of the same problems that I encountered with poor mileage, high idle, random stalling with difficult restart, and clouds of black smoke when going up hill. Part of my issue involved setting the TPS properly, but the biggest issue was a plugged coolant passage to the throttle body. Next time you have the engine warmed up, feel the coolant lines going to the throttle body and compare them to the other coolant lines to see if they are cold.

There is hope, my Firefly has 244,000km on it and I was getting in the low 30's MPG. I got 48 MPG on my last tank and I expect to get even better on this one. I am certain that I should be able to hit the 50 MPG club with a little effort.

Merry Christmas

1990 Swift
1992 Swift

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:20 pm 

Coyote X wrote:
If you have a voltmeter check all the sensors on the car. There are not that many of them so it is a pretty easy job. Also check your timing and set it to around 8 degrees if you haven't already done so. Jack up the car and check that the wheels spin free without any dragging. The back wheels should spin a really long time and the fronts should spin but they have drag on them from the transmission and disk brakes so make sure one isn't dragging worse than the other. If the car has an EGR valve make sure it is not stuck.

Also check your exhaust manifold gasket for a leak. If it has a leak it will screw up your O2 sensor readings. Your intake manifold can be checked for leaks by spraying starting fluid on it while the engine is running and if the engine rpm changes then you found a leak.

So both front wheels are supposed to spin free of drag? On my 89 turbo sprint, when I jack up the front and let it idle in 1st, only the front left wheel spins the other doesn't. When i spin it manually, it will spin for a sec or two really slow and then stop. Is this normal?

Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:01 pm 

Check the fuel level on the side of the carb. If it is not visible, your float, which shuts off the gas, could be leaking.
If the float leaks, it can absorb gas, sink, and not do it's job.
Kinda tough to find if you don't have an "index of suspicion"
:huh:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:49 pm 

Check the timing of your vehicle to see if it is set correctly. I have mine advanced, if I recall it's set at 12 degrees before top dead center.

'91 Geo Metro 3cyl 5 speed 12" wheels 50 + MPG.
'37 Chevy Coupe
'00 VW Passat 4Motion Wagon
'95 GMC Pickup short bed 4x4
'82 28 foot rv, but diesel is too expensive to drive now.