TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:42 pm 

I just got back from my 1,000 mile trip. I found out a few interesting things along the way.
The scan tool allowed me to tune the car as I progressed on my trip. On my 1st tank of fuel I got 40mpg with regular and the A/C on. I averaged 65 to 68mph. Tires where at 40psi front, 35psi rear.
At this point I stopped for lunch and after the car cooled down I adjusted the timing. I went from 4degrees BTDC to 8 degrees BTDC. I changed fuels to midgrade-premium. I also adjusted the TPS. I didn't adjust it much but I wanted to see the results.
At my next fuel stop I showed I was getting 42mpg. All other setting where the same as above. I adjusted the TPS one more time. Again a fine tuning, not a massive change. I then switched to premium fuel and continued on my way.
At my third fuel stop, I showed I was getting 45mpg. Again nothing changed but fuel.
I was able to make it home with fuel to spare.
I am going to keep the timing set to 8 degrees BTDC, and leave the TPS set where it is, and continue to run premium fuel. I have also noticed that city mileage has come up to 35mpg with A/C on. And the idle is much smoother. Not bad for a 12 year old car. I am in the Hybrid class with these mileage readings.
Now if I can only find the right standard transmission. I would love to get away from the automatic.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:35 am 

fainya wrote:
I have added ATF to help clean out the engine before I do my next trip. After I get 500 miles on the car and do an oil change, I have another trip planned. It will be a 1000 mile trip and I will have a scan tool with me on this up and coming trip. I will post the results I get. I am looking forward to getting 40mpg. I am not sure if I will use cheapo gas or go back to using Shell on this trip.

FYI.... in town mileage has come up to 32mpg average. It was getting only 30 before.

my old geo sounds like a duplicate of yours 1.3 auto etc. I got 29 MPg all day it would jump upto 32-35 on the highway with freeway use. I sold it to a friend and he uses it only on the highway and gets 37+ doing 65-75MPH.

94 GEO METRO PARTS FOR SALE EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!!
94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:18 am 

A lot was done before I made my yearly 2000 mile trip to Arizona and back to see my grand children.
Since my last post I have done all 4 wheel bearings(one started to sing) and seals. I used Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the bearings. While I had it torn down this far I also did front brakes with new rotors. The rear brakes looked ok. New inner and outer tie rod ends. I added the camber cam bolts to the front, and had my friend over at the Infinity Dealership do a good 4 wheel alignment. What a difference all these repairs made in how the car handles.
As for the engine, I had a fuel injector die on me. (open circuit) I toyed with the idea of getting a rebuild one, but in the end bite the bullet and bought a new one. With the new injector installation, I pulled the throttle body and replaced the fuel pressure regulator as well. new fuel lines and a new fuel filter too.
The timing belt was 6 years old and the tensioner bearing was starting to sing, so just before the trip I installed a newtiming belt and tensioner, new cam seal(my oil leak), new cranshaft seal and a new water pump. Valve cover gasket was also change at this time.
I was not aware that this 4 cylinder engine had roller cam rocker arms. Nice work Suzuki!
And lastly a new set of drive belts and an oil/filter change using Mobil 1 10/30 full synthetic.

Now the good news. Using premium fuel I got 48 miles to the gallon out and back averaging 65 to 70 MPH with the A/C on. Tire pressures where set to 40 psi front, 35psi rear.
Thats 41.6 gallons of fuel to travel 2000 miles. When filling the tank I stopped at the first shut off. I never over filled the tank.

And Obama wants me to trade in my geo for a gas guzzler? I think NOT!

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:03 pm 

I just drove out to Florida to watch some rockets get launched, and vacation time.
Going out my mileage fell down to less then 40mpg at 70mph. About 5 miles out from my destination I got a check engine light. so the next morning I went to the local auto parts store and the code I got was a P-113 high voltage intake air sensor. It turned out to be a broken ground wire right at the intake air sensor(iat). This is the second time in 6 years that the wiring at the iat has broken. I soldered and heat shrinked the repair. The check engine light went off after the repair.
On the trip back from Florida to Texas the mileage improved to 45mpg at 70mph.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:00 am 

fainya wrote:
I was not aware that this 4 cylinder engine had roller cam rocker arms. Nice work Suzuki!

Not so fast with your back slapping, that's the exact part that always goes bad in these engines, they gave up on the idea after three years.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:13 am 

What goes bad on them? Are you talking about the ticking noise or is there something else ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:40 pm 

The hydraulic lifters have the same sticking problems that the three cylinder lifters have, but there's an even worse problem with the rocker arms themselves. They're spring loaded against the camshaft journals and they wear pretty badly. When they wear, they move over so that the oil holes don't line up anymore, then the rollers stop rolling and eat into the cam lobes. Guys are putting washers on them and trying to find some better solution to the problem.

Here's a picture of the wear spot:

Here's a link to a thread about this problem:

http://geometroforum.com/search/?c=1&f=-1&q=Rocker+arms

This is the 95 - 97 G13BA only that has this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:34 am 

Thanks for the info. I will inspect my rocker arms more carefully.
Also I was unable to see your picture.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:41 am 

Sorry, don't know what's wrong with the picture, follow this link then go down to post #20, pictures and explaination are there.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/2030634/2/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:34 pm 

OMG! that looks ugly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:29 am 

1. in my one and only trans rebuild, a 4l60e, I radiused and rounded every available port, except what was in the pump itself.

The customer reported a mileage increase after the rebuild. Maybe the fluid doesn't have to work as hard to get around the sharp corners.

2. in my own cars, I use tractor trans and hyd fluid, in my auto trans.

There is hidden mileage in every automobile, due to manufacturing costs.... And compromises... It's up to you to find them. Find at your own risk.

And, good luck....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:33 am 

1. in my one and only trans rebuild, a 4l60e, I radiused and rounded every available port in the trans body, except what was in the pump itself, and on the turning shaft.

Dremels and some intuition work wonders.

The customer reported a mileage increase after the rebuild. Maybe the fluid doesn't have to work as hard to get around the sharp corners.

2. in my own cars, I use tractor trans and hyd fluid, in my auto trans.

There is hidden mileage in every automobile, due to manufacturing costs.... And compromises... It's up to you to find them. Find at your own risk.

And, good luck....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:53 am 

Here is a question for you.. If you have had an auto trans apart that far, there is a set of transfer gears in the end cover. I was wondering if they could be changed to get a different gear ratio. Instead of changing the ring and pinion. THe big concern would be is there enough room in the end housing to get a ratio that would make a difference. Even a 10% change and you could satisfy both the high milers and the racer car guys by just swapping the gears. Also if you dont mind the noise, go the straight cut gears for more power transfer.