TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:55 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:20 pm 

>3play, probably the slickest way to suspend pulses to the injectors without >spiking the ecu would be to use an scr and switch the gate on or off. the >timing issue would probably best be handled by something like an msd >along with the vacuum advance dizzy. what engine are you using? if it's a >g10, you're in like skin. just use a mk2 lsi distributor. it has 2 vacuum >canisters and the magnetic hysteresis pickup will work fine as a trigger for >an msd unit set up for 6 cylinders, lost spark.[/quote]

I should clarify a bit, I don't intend on installing both systems at once, I have a 94 metro and bought a vac. dist. for it already.
I want to shut down the current ignition/injector system when I SWAP intake manifolds. I would like to put the fuel supply and electronics on quick disconnect connectors, so I can change over from carb to TBI in about 30 minutes or less. I am living on an island and leave the metro on the mainland, so I can walk on the ferry and save a few bucks. I don't want to incapacitate the car when I am experimenting.
I would like to use an MSD, I had one on my truck until it let out it's magic smoke, but it added about 10% mileage when it was working.
To heat the fuel I simply cut the line to the TB and added some copper tubing which is wrapped around the radiator hose then it continues to the TB. It has about 8 wraps around the hose and that is covered in a foam insulator. It switches back to rubber line where the insulation stops, so I haven't insulated the rubber line, I will probably do this and add some more wraps to see if it makes a difference.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:43 am 

Hey Metro Muscle,

Did you get anything out of this thread?

Or are you now more confused than ever?

Peace,

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:28 am 

Haha, yes I am a bit more confused but I think i now have a"direction" I want to go with my setup. Basically, I want to focus on intake velocity and maximizing combustion. I'll start with making it easier for the air to get in but removing the TB bridge and a couple other small things. Then, I think I will still match port but I'm going to use a rougher grit (maybe 80 or so) and use the rough grit to blend any major imperfections and make the flow more direct. Then I will get a good valve job done and deshroud the valves and put in "singh grooves" and whatever else I can to help combustion out. Next, increase compression. I will also ceramic coat the exhaust to see if that helps a bit. I've decided to leave the flywheel stock for cruising purposes but lighten my pulleys because I figure that they are basically wasted power. I think that's it for engine mods but I may have missed something because it's still too early for me to think properly :-P Next are aero mods... I"ve done one so far with positive results, I'm just embarassed to say what it is.... I used lawn edging to make an air dam to gain a few mpgs at highway speeds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:57 pm 
Suzuki Elder

3play,

it has been my personal experience that the mk3 doesn't like the mk2 distributor. the 94 models start to share the mk3.5 electronics (just prior to the mk4 pre-obdII and obdII proper systems.) the mk2 distributor won't like the air core 94 coil, either.

if you switch to the carbed intake you will need a low pressure fuel pump or a pressure regulator that will be up to the task. you will also need a switch to activate the pump (as the ecu will shut it down as soon as it starts missing the correct pulse from the mk3 electronics in the dizzy.) you may as well just pull the plug on the ecu anyway as it won't have any control over fueling or ignition.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:56 am 

Undersized pulleys might be the way to go, cut the drag of the water pump, alternator and etc at any given rpm.

Look into doing a three angle, or even five angle, valve job. That will help increase flow at low valve lifts where it will make the most difference.

Despite the nay sayers here, I strongly suspect that an MSD unit will help driveabiliy, performance and fuel mileage. Particularly so when combined with increased spark plug gap.

Your use of lawn edging for an air dam is brilliant, don't be ashamed of it a at all. Perfect example of a using a low tech material to achieve high tech aims.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:09 am 

I forgot to mention that I'd be using a basic MSD box as well to help out the combustion process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:26 am 

I forgot,

The fuel line heating idea sounded like an excellent one.. That would be a very cheap and easy way to pick up a couple of mpg.

Cheers,

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:58 pm 

[quote="t3 ragtop"]3play,

it has been my personal experience that the mk3 doesn't like the mk2 distributor. the 94 models start to share the mk3.5 electronics (just prior to the mk4 pre-obdII and obdII proper systems.) the mk2 distributor won't like the air core 94 coil, either.

I was hoping to put a second ignition system in the car, so I can flip a switch that shuts down the entire ECU and powers up a straight forward distributor, coil arrangement. The fuel pump can remain the same and I will just
dial in the fuel pressure under the hood.
I plan on either swapping out the entire intake manifold, or installing the
carb set up so it operates over the TBI, so I can switch back in forth very quickly. The msd is a great idea, they are very noticable at low to mid RPMs.
I might just get their hot coil too....

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:19 am 

Soliton wrote:
I forgot,

The fuel line heating idea sounded like an excellent one.. That would be a very cheap and easy way to pick up a couple of mpg.

Cheers,

Jon

I like it! I might add that to my list too...

Post subject: Re: Free MPG ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:50 am 

Hello,everyone ,

I need following information
concerning 993 cc 1991 suzuki g10 3 cyl .My carburettor is too old ı wanna to replace with alternative one , I finf webber on the web their technicians say;They think they can supply a 32/36 DGV Weber with an adapter plate that fits on the factory intake manifold. They need to know the dimensions of the factory carburetor base gasket, so we can compare to the adapter plates they have..

Any thoughts ,information....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:36 am 

The DGEV will absolutely drown the G10. It would probably work great right near red line, but at low RPM it's never going to run as well as a stock carb. I have one on my 2.4 liter truck and that's about as small an engine as I'd put one on and expect any driveability out of it. They're very popular with 4.2 liter Jeep engines for a reason, it's a pretty big carb, flows about 3 times the air these little engines need.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:00 pm 

thank you so much ,you are so kind , but my stock carburetor is too old, in last few days , in city drive stop go period , idle slightky rises up to 1000 and engine begins more vibrating ,also engine noise is change to become more rattle. I think this is relevant with the carburattor.what do you think.?
any thoughts.suggestions...
TrikeKid wrote:
The DGEV will absolutely drown the G10. It would probably work great right near red line, but at low RPM it's never going to run as well as a stock carb. I have one on my 2.4 liter truck and that's about as small an engine as I'd put one on and expect any driveability out of it. They're very popular with 4.2 liter Jeep engines for a reason, it's a pretty big carb, flows about 3 times the air these little engines need.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:24 pm 

Assuming you've done a tune up already (spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor) your carburetor may just need rebuilt. You might check that you don't have any vacuum leaks as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:22 am 

actually , my carb rebuilded but the distrıbutor,wire &etc. not controlled yet.is it relevant with the wire .etc?