TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:43 pm 

I have a pretty stock 89 GT i have a cone filter with custom pipe and a 2 inch exaust from manifold back, sorry almost forgot a blaster ss coil. What type of fuel economy should i be getting???i was getting about 35 around town and 40 high way but for some reason im down to about 30 and maybe 33 and i dont know why my plugs only have like 3k on them so im stumped because everything seems ok. Thanks Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:21 am 

Round town here (less stop, less more go than big city USA) I get 39.86 mpg without driving like a granny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:09 am 

Do you have anything done to your car??? I checked over the weekend and i get about 40mpg highway staying at about 60-65 and mild street driving im getting about 30-32mpg any suggestions??? I just put new plugs, msd blaster ss coil,cone filter in stock location, and a 2 in exaust minus cat and resonator. Thanks Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:32 pm 

It is just the way Mr Suzuki built it back in 91, although here we got probably the most environmentally hostile GTi's of all the world markets - no EGR, No O2 sensor, no carbon canister, etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:02 pm 

I dont think mine has an EGR but i know i got an o2 and what do you mean by carbon canistor ??? Charcoal canistor or catalytic converter???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 am 

carbon canister = charcoal canister. it collects stray fumes and stores them until they can be burned in the engine again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:59 pm 

Ahh ok wasnt sure. That shouldnt make any didfference on gas milage i wouldnt think. I plan on getting rid of it once i get my apexi anyways. Any suggestions because i did all the basics plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel injector service,exhaust, air filter,fuel filter, and tire pressure. Thanks Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:46 am 

Remember, nzswift is giving you his MPG in imperial, not US mpg. Therefore, he is actually getting around 32.5-ish mpg.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:51 am 

Depending on how it's set up, a charcoal canister could improve gas mileage, in a black box sort of way. It won't improve fuel economy of the engine, but it could improve fuel economy of the whole system. I believe, if you don't have a charcoal canister, you would have to vent your tank to the atmosphere, or be built extra strong. It would explode from pressure if the tank heats up, or it would vapor-lock when you run the gas out of the tank. In the first case(off-gassing of petrol from your tank)you hook up a charcoal canister to hold onto the fumes which can later be burned thru the engine to produce power. If you didn't have the canister, that fuel would be lost to the atmosphere. It probably doesn't seem like much, but the lighter, volatile components of petrol evaporate VERY easily and I would imagine on a hot day, you could lose 5% of the volume of your tank, worst case...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:15 am 

True I usually get rid of them on my Firebirds that i have got just because they are in the way but in this case i think you are right. And I still have a factory vent for the fuel tank under the car for the record. And i went easy all week with my E3 plugs shifting at 2500 and staying at about the everywhere and i got about 38 mpg around town but im still hoping for a little better when i start tuning it. Are these guys that are getting 50mpg with the G13B turboed engines in our mpg or a different one??? Thanks for the help Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:31 pm 

when I had my gt I was getting 35 mpg (combined) with a 4.39 trans out of a vert.

see them at http://www.fquick.com/Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:38 pm 

stephennmm wrote:
Are these guys that are getting 50mpg with the G13B turboed engines in our mpg or a different one???

huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:13 am 

(Remember, nzswift is giving you his MPG in imperial, not US mpg. Therefore, he is actually getting around 32.5-ish mpg.)

they are claiming 50 mpg is that imperial or us???