TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 3.52 Trans-Axle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:48 pm 

Highway trip? How fast did you drive?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:25 pm 

I held it between 85 and 100 km an hour, two persons on board, two suitcases in rear.

Now that I think of it, I tanked before leaving, did the trip to Ottawa, fooled around them thar streets for three days (Museum, motel,other museum, customer,friends, pole dance place...motel....) and then tanked before hitting the Queen sway. I still have half a tank left.

426.6 km. on the first tank. My accountant has my gas invoice but I did do 6.1 liters to the hundred. Mixed driving.
So I'm correcting my previous post. In 4 days and a lot of city driving....not too bad I guess.
Parking though cost me a whopping bundle. I installed 13 inch tires but kept the rolling diameter of the 12 inchers. Although the winter tires give me a 1.5% advantage. So make it: 432.999 Km...
Of course Metro, I was influenced by your adoption of the XFi cam-a-lot. I don't regret one thing at all. As for slow....nope, suits me fine. I can go better than 100 km an hour, but....what for? Milk doesn't curdle that fast, and my french baguette is still fresh when I come home.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:50 am 
Teamswift Racer

For all of you fuel economy guys, occasionally I get 3.52 final drives for mk2/3 swift/metro's, if you need one let me know, I can sometimes get one.

Last edited by Dattman on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:20 am 

I did THAT on top of my Cam-a-lot !

I secured the final drive from a 4 cylinder single overhead "power" plant.
Bolted right in after I shaved 1/64 from the ring gear. Now my three mice unit spins at an easy 2500 RPM at 100 km /hour instead of the stress inducing, nerve-wracking 3000 RPM
Did anybodu ever price one of these sets?????? Exxxxxpensive.........

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:52 am 
Teamswift Racer

Since nobody is interested in an final drive exchange I have advertised a 3.52 final drive in the for sale section, US$85 plus $40 postage anywhere in the states.
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37919

Surely some of you guys want a taller final drive to lower your cruising rpm???

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:45 pm 

ok, so i have to get the lighter flywheel yet, but i do have the 3.79 trans and some 14" rims(wider though). so, i'm going to send them out to have them powdercoated. i have no time since i just bought property so i'm going to have someone do them for me =)
and woodie, they are close to the same diameter as the 13", so with the 3.79 and the 14" rims, the speedo should be close. wait, sorry, the 14" matches the 13" rims, but the trans was from a 92 with the 12", so i think that means i'll need the 13" speedo gear. hehe-just playin with ya woodie-i just want it somewhere close.

Just spent all this money on rims/tires, but i still find myself wanting the 13" steelies with the moon-eyes............

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:33 pm 

UPDATE-WOOHOO!! OK, so last week I was able to stay after work for about an hour, 4/5 days. I actually got time to worlk on my own car-not friends/family/customers, etc-MINE! Good thing because I've been babying the tires for a loooooong time. Pics will hopefully get put in my album if I can get some tomorrow.
To get you licking your lips a little.....I installed the rear disc setup.....the 95+ vented front brake setup......got my neon center console shift boot mounted.......and.........

GOT MY 80 SUPRA RIMS POWDERCOATED AND INSTALLED!!!<----yes, maybe i should post this in the ont/ext section, but there are more than just one upgrade here.

It does sit up higher, and I would lower it since I have the newer springs to cut, but since I got the tires a bit too tall I think it will rub then. I did the math today and realized that putting the 175/65R14's on my 91 metro(fact 3.89 trans, right?) the gearing is now equivalent to a 3.58! I could tell the difference as soon as I pulled out of work, but driving it around tonight wasn't bad. It actually got me back into driving it a bit nicer(slower) like I used too. Not that I beat it now, however. Now, if I put the trans from the trunk in...yep, a 3.52.....the gearing will equate to a 3.28! I don't think I'm ready to take that leap. I wish I could find some 175/55R14's....or 165/60R14's

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:03 am 

geometro wrote:
14 inch rims would be worthwhile if you put LRR rubber on them - the Bridgestone RE91's are reportedly very good (Insight OEM tire).

Does anyone have a source for these tires?

Some have indicated thay are no longer available....

Also is anyone actually running a 3 cylinder with 14" rims AND a 3.52 final drive ratio? If so what is your experience?

Thanks

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:11 pm 

The 155/80/13's on my car (with the 3.52) are actualy slightly taller than the 165/65/14 RE92 size that was spec'd on the Insight.

22.76 inches (Firefly) vs. 22.44 inches (Insight) tire diameters.

And everybody knows I love the taller gearing. :)