TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good run on Saturday
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:17 am 
Bozo the crying clown

I loaded up the family in my 3 cyl after doing a decent amount of work to it and have some observations to share.
The car's been sitting since November, due to not being able to pass emissions.
I took the race header off because it was blocking the egr port and making the car run rich. I guess I coulda ran a vented oil breather, but it wouldn't have been emissions legal.
The head is a rebuilt with ported and polished exhaust ports. Ran REALLY good with the Suzukird header, just rich.
Well I threw a cheapy chinese knockoff exhaust manifold that I carefully ported to remove the rough spots and keep things flowing smoothly into the new magnaflow hi performance cat. New O2 sensors top and bottom and new brake rotors, pads, calipers and caliper springs. A new set of bullshit Pep Boys tires all around and new 75 amp alternator that I bought because of someone's recommendation on this board. Can't remember who, but wanted to say thanks, 'cause now my little green car is not "electrically deficient" anymore. It also just passed inspection. ;-)

So I EASILY had "little green" up to 85 FULLY LOADED and was averaging between 75-80 the whole way. If anyone's familiar, the turnpike south, its just one long steady grade after another. The thing was pulling like a beast! LOTS of low end grunt and the top end was not as weezy as it was without the porting. Not like my 99 4 cylinder, but very spirited for the 3.

So.. in conclusion.... after the exhaust change, I believe that porting a stock exhaust is a decent way to pick up HP and maybe a mile or two to the gallon. Also....Don't overlook your egr port, either. I port matched that also. So I managed to get 42mpg and that's with the pedal MASHED to the floor 75% of the time, fully loaded. I believe that I can get into the exclusive 50mpg with this setup. I'll keep you guys posted.

Jimmy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:31 pm 
Bozo the crying clown

Well....After one tank of "MY" NORMAL driving, heres the results. The test was conducted in this manner: Max speed 70mph on the blue route. Plus lots of stop and go Conshy/Philly traffic. Daily lunchtime errand runs, etc. NO PROPANE, not driving like an old lady, no pulse and glide bullsh1t, all seats and trim pieces still intact and using regular pump gas.......

The results.......................................

Ladies, gentlemen, and those in between.........

I went 451 miles on exactly 8.2 gallons.

I'd say that puts me at a solid 55MPG. :-)

Now that I'm a member of the 50 mile per gallon club, I hereby, politely suggest, that you all can pucker up and kiss my fat A$$. :mrgreen: Just kidding, everyone. heheheheh

It just feels SOOOOOOOOO good to be gettin' 50 +MPG....(without even tryin') ;-) =)

Jimmy

Post subject: Re: Good run on Saturday
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm 

and i thought that i did good getting 37.88 driving like hell what year model is your car? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:36 am 
Bozo the crying clown

it's a 98 with 170k miles on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:11 am 
Bozo the crying clown

Filled up this morning and went 478 miles on 8.7 gallons....for an approximate 55mpg. :-)

It's good being "green"

Jimmy