TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:13 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:49 pm 

ok i have a 1995 geo metro auto 1.3L 4door the motor was rebuilt by p/o 2 yrs ago and drove rarely after...
most orig parts reused (egr,pcv,map,tbi,and so on)
now im used to speed as im going from my fully restored 1978 chevy silverado 4x4 with a 400 small block that sadly is now totaled...rest her soul...to a geo which i only bought cus they took my offer of $100 and i need a vehicle badly.

so ill be probably wot on take offs...... maybe

but as of right now driving around my neighborhood working on the issues im using alot of gas...ive maby gone 10-15 miles or so and im down a 1/4 tank already from full also im only driving 2-4 miles each time as i have a hose leak just before my heater core and loose radiator fluid quick..

so how can i return the car to its original gas mileage cus it seems to be far from 30mpg even
i mean i doubt the gauge should have dropped anywhere near a 1/4 tank from at most 15 miles of on off driving

also are there any aftermarket hp boosting engine mods? maby stronger coil, larger exhaust, te03 or 04 mitsubishi turbo pushing a safe minimum boost of...well idk what a geo motor can handle... dont seem to be much tho

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:57 am 

the gauges lie sometimes. fill it up and do a mpg test properly, have no idea why you would change the car, buy the one you want and sell what u got. if u really need power, frame it and put in a small block.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:23 pm 

Quote:
how can i get the most fuel economy out of my motor and hp?

First pick one, you cant have both with any vehicle. If you need more power buy or build a turbo, (great pep and reasonable mileage, I was averaging 42mpg Hard driving in my 87) or GTI.

Couldn't tell you how to get great mileage though. I went from my 12mpg t-bird to the sprint so anything over 200km to a tank was pure bliss!

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:14 am 

If it's a manual transmission, it'll do 40mpg, if automatic, 35 tops. The way you drive it will make a HUGE difference in any car, that's why it's so hard to compare numbers. You can't tell anything yet for a couple of different reasons. If you only go two miles at a time, it's running in it's worst possible condition, cold. Also the car sat for two years, you need to run five tanks of gas through it in a month to get everything unstuck and working properly. After it's a steady runner, then you need to check full tanks to tell anything, preferably multiple tanks so you can weed out any possible difference in filling.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:24 pm 

this car scared the hell out of me now....noting ive worked on sofar has tightened bolts!!!!!! and the guy says he rebuilt the motor :shock: im afraid im gonna die....

here is why...............

you know the little bolt sandwiching the swivel thing on the lower control arm? well i found out the hard way the drivers side was only hand tight.......as you may have imagined my spindle popped off the lower control arm at.....thank god.... only 20 mph i popped my trunk grabbed my tools and jack and repaired the problem easily......had to refill my tranny tho cus the shaft pulled out of the tranny...which dont seem it should have and should have separated at the inner cv joint instead....but all is well now....tomorrow im tearing through the car and checking every bolt imaginable.....i also found that my trans mount bar looking thing closest to the firewall was held on by 1 bolt and 1 stud with no nut.....i think i bought an even worse death trap... id feel safer driving my totaled 78 silverado 4x4