TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 13" wheels from 12"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:23 pm 

I was wondering if I will get poorer gas mileage and acceleration with 13" tires and wheels from the stock 12"?

Post subject: Re: 13" wheels from 12"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:49 pm 

You'll probably get slightly better gas mileage on the highway from the reduction in engine RPM for a given speed (assuming you're putting on a narrow tire, like the 155/80/13). Note that your speedometer will be affected by the change (it will read lower than your actual speed if you put on taller tires).

Acceleration will be slightly slower.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:07 pm 

So have you done this conversion? I had a chance to change my 12" tires to the 13" ones, but my 12" tires wouldn't fit back on the car the other tires came off of. So I had to scrap that idea. But before I found this out, I also noticed the lug nuts were much smaller on the 12" car, should I worry about them being much smaller when I try to put the 13" rims back on?

Jon

'91 Geo Metro 3cyl 5 speed 12" wheels 50 + MPG.
'37 Chevy Coupe
'00 VW Passat 4Motion Wagon
'95 GMC Pickup short bed 4x4
'82 28 foot rv, but diesel is too expensive to drive now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:07 pm 

the brakes on the 12" car are smaller. the studs are smaller. some people have put washers on, bought special lug nuts, or swapped to bigger studs and lugs. the 13" car has larger brakes, therefore, the smaller 12" rim would not fit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:56 pm 

The best solution if you're going from the 12" to a 13" wheel is to remove the 10mm studs from the 12" car and replace them with equal length 12x1.25 studs and corresponding lug nuts. At this point, you'll be able to mount the 13" wheel without worry. However, as mentioned, the brakes on the 12" are tiny, and you'll notice more effort is required to stop with larger and heavier wheels. To upgrade the brakes, you're looking at the front spindles and calipers (with brackets) from a car with the 13" or 14" wheels (GTi or 95+). You should be okay with the 12" brakes and the 13" wheel, but if you decide to go 14" or larger, look at upgrading the brakes from a safety standpoint. I left out upgrading the rear brakes, as there is little difference in stopping power between the 12" car and the 13"+ models.

SOLD on 03/16/2012. So long... :salute:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:33 pm 

Thanks for that info. I will look into removing all the parts I need from the car that has the 13 inch stuff and putting it on the car that has the 12 inch wheels. If it will fit, I would feel safer doing that. But with the 12" wheels I just got 54.5 mpg on that little car, so I'm doing something right with it. I just love it, though people do honk at me, cause my little car does go slower than their bigger and faster cars. I want to put on the back 50 + MPG and then let them honk at me... hehehe :D

'91 Geo Metro 3cyl 5 speed 12" wheels 50 + MPG.
'37 Chevy Coupe
'00 VW Passat 4Motion Wagon
'95 GMC Pickup short bed 4x4
'82 28 foot rv, but diesel is too expensive to drive now.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:55 pm 

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the narrowest 14" tires are that are available in the USA?

Thanks,

Trevor

1992 Metro XFI

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:46 pm 

I found some 165/65/14's. I was going to put them on my car but the 14" wheels I had were too wide for the car (6" wide wheels on a MK1 car was too much. There's may be more room on the later cars). There may be more narrow 14" tires, but that's what I found. I had great luck with my 155/60/15's though! Braking is still fine, milege is fine, acceleration.. I can't tell a difference but they do weigh more. And the car handles a heck of a lot better, especially if you have to swerve to avoid something on the freeway.

BUT IT'S GOT A HEMI!!
XD

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:36 pm 

sbdeadelf,
How wide are your 15" rims ?
I am looking for wheels/tires for my 92 convertible, and am not having much luck. All the 13 inch wheels I wanted are on backorder or no longer available it seems.
Car is an auto, so I am concerned with changing diameter much.
May have to go to 14/15 inch wheels, and a low profile tire. I have to mailorder, so can't try anything before I buy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:40 pm 

The Honda Accord wheels I've been using have been 5.5 inches wide. At some point they may have gone to 6 inches wide, but I'm not sure. I think the ones I've got now are off of a 92-94 Accord and they have a couple of things going for them--- they have steel inserts under the lug nuts so it isn't so much of a problem using our little 12mm nuts instead of the 14mm they were designed for: no galling of the aluminum or tendency to pull through. At 5.5 inches wide they're the narrowest thing I can find with our bolt pattern and the right offset. They also do a nice job of casting the specs of the wheel on the backside of the hub area: Both sets I have are 15x5.5 with 50mm offset (I forget if we're negative or positive, but for a MK1 it's about perfect) For a MK1 car, they clear the spring/strut with about 3/8 of an inch clearance for the wheel and on the outside edge the tire just fits inside of the fender on the bumps. If the rims were any wider either direction, you'd have troubles... on a MK1 car anyway. With that said, the later cars sound like they have more room in the fenderwells. Somebody said they were running 195's and liked them.... no way in the world would that work on a MK1. Even a 165/65/14 on a 14x6 wheel was too much on my car. It cleared the strut by about 3/8 inch but hit the fender on the outside edge during bumps. With 15's though, the only tires that would work on a MK1 would be the 155/60/15's I'm using, or the 145/65/15s... IF you could find a wheel that's only 5 inches wide (the max for the 155's is 5.5 inches and the max for the 145's is 5 inches).
Hope that helps! Check the pictures in the Gallant 14" wheels section to see how they fit on the car... I'll try to add some pics of the stock 12" tires on the car for comparison later this week.

BUT IT'S GOT A HEMI!!
XD