TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:16 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: mpg for GTI's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:35 am 

Are the GT's, with their high performance motors, really capable of 40 to 50 mpg?
I'm seeing lots of claims. One on a recent craigslist ad, where he claimed over 40mpg. And now SSGTI's in the classified section where he is claiming 49 with a light foot.

I have been searching for many months now for a geo, or GT, or even an old chevy sprint turbo. Gas is headed to 4 bucks a gal. and I would like the savings.

I know a 1.0 metro can get 50 or more.

But, if I can get mid 40's with a GT, than I will go that route, as they are more fun to drive and it could replace my supercharged miata as my fun car.

What say you?

Post subject: Re: mpg for GTI's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:57 pm 

I've been wondering the same thing.. There isnt much real mpg info from Gti drivers, because I guess gti drivers dont usually drive with a light foot.

Thats why i'm selling my gti, and keeping the 1.0 metro for the 50mpg... I wish I could have driven the gti some before selling it so I can see what kind of mpg it gets.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:23 pm 

Over this side of the world I kept records and did 39.86 mpg in (non granny - up to 5Krpm) city driving in my GTi. Our gallons are bigger than yours those.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:32 am 

nzswift wrote:
Over this side of the world I kept records and did 39.86 mpg in (non granny - up to 5Krpm) city driving in my GTi. Our gallons are bigger than yours those.

so that may mean something like mid 30's here in the U.S....

I guess that is okay, but that is a big enough difference in mpg that I would look, I'm retarded choose a metro...

I dont know...hard to decide.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:54 am 

mpmetro wrote:
I've been wondering the same thing.. There isnt much real mpg info from Gti drivers, because I guess gti drivers dont usually drive with a light foot.

Thats why i'm selling my gti, and keeping the 1.0 metro for the 50mpg... I wish I could have driven the gti some before selling it so I can see what kind of mpg it gets.

for the most part I drive with a light foot.

Only if I hit a nice curvy section of road.

And, it would be much more fun at an autocross or track day...obviously.

I looked at your swift there in TX and it is really just what I'm looking for. I wanted a bit of a project...and cheaper.
Problem is, I'm just too darn far away.
Actually priced an auto transport from you to me and it was about a grand...

So, you can see that it just wouldnt be worth it to me.

I think I will go with a GT though. If I can find one with the nice light GT alloy wheels, I'll run a 185 tire and have a nice light unsprung weight. I'll do all the tricks of getting good mpg and hope for high 30's....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:11 pm 

I get 6.9L/100km so roughly 35mpg US in my gt
i have a 2" exhaust, toms chip, and cams.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:22 pm 

crnolic wrote:
I get 6.9L/100km so roughly 35mpg US in my gt
i have a 2" exhaust, toms chip, and cams.

thanks for the response.
One difference I forgot about was that you have to super gas in the GT...so about 20 or 30 cents more per gal. here in the U.S.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:34 am 

yep
i always put in 91 (highest octane available here, except sunoco 94 but i dont like sunoco :razz:)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:29 am 

40MPG in my Mk5 running a sort of GTi 16v engine.

It's got an air leak somewhere, that shoved it's mpg down...

So I'm sure if I can get 40mpg mixed driving... aka 5.9l/100km

You should be able to get a lighter GTi up to atleast that. Maybe swap in a taller gear set, closer to 4:1 or lower.

Also, seems my car is the happiest running Redline 5w30 synthetic. I had Amsoil in there, and I just did the swap over, and damn the engine just seems more go go happy. Oh and this is after doing a cleaning, and having the Honeywell/Fram filter hit the bypass valve(I was like wtf is that clicking sound when it first started happening). It was fiiiiilthy, still cleaning up from that goofus mechanic that owned it prior.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:59 am 

I have gotten 45USMPG one time, but of coarse that was a highway trip by myself. A few other times I have gotten 42mpg but that was with the wife and dogs. I tend to have a heavy foot with my GTi. Of coarse the mileage dips down in the winter time because of all the idling and being cold up here. And I think I may get better gas mileage because my car runs really good, I have no oil leaks, burns no oil or uses any oil. As well my GTi is stock other than K&N air filter and an under drive pulley.

I have attached a cool spreadsheet thats pretty easy to fill in your mileage and fuel consumption.

Attachments:
Suzuki Swift GTi Fuel Mileage.XLS [58.5 KIB]
Downloaded 121 times

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:58 pm 

My 94 GT is bone stock other than open air K & N air filter and I consistantly pull 36 mpg around town. There's is absolutely no doubt that I'm hitting over 40 mpg on the highway. K & N helped allot. I run cheap 87 octane as I don't have chip and it doesn't require it.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:25 pm 
smart@ss

In my old '91 GT I got around 36-39 mpg of mixed city/highway driving. Only mods to it were exhaust and K&N.
My '91 metro-to-GT swap used to get about 36 mpg with harder than "normal driving".
With my current GTi I avereged about 28 mpg on a 1000 mile trip, but that was due to the car not being tuned properly...I'm thinking once everything is fixed and tuned I should be able to get 30mpg city driving.

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:45 pm 

My turbo'd gti (7psi) averages around 35, not being easy on it. On a freeway only trip once it got 39.25. Mobil 1 synthetic in the engine and GM syncromesh semi-synth in the stock trans, 195/45 16's (speedo is accurate) and about 32 psi in the fronts and 29 in the rear.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:52 am 

I've been keeping track of my mileage for a while and have found my average has been around 35-36 mpg with my 89 gti before it was written off and around 41-42 mpg in my 94 gt shell. i swapped the 89 motor into the 94 to pass emissions so the engine and drivetrain in both cars mentioned is the same. the motor remains stock with only the the addition of a genie header during the swap since the oem header was cracked. the 89 engine is also now being controlled by the 94 ecu after the swap. I should mention that i like to keep the revs up and drive the car spiritedly to say the least.
i am not exactly sure why there is such a difference in the mpg between the cars since the motor and trans are the same but maybe the ecu programming and the header made it more efficient? i do think the 89 car was more fun to drive though.
I would attach my spreadsheet but i can't figure out how to do that. if you interested, let me know.
i should also mention that a few years ago i was low on cash and tried driving like an old man to save gas. if you accelerate slowly, short shift, and stay just a hair below the speed limits you can get 50 mpg with a stock gti (even in the city). only two problems with doing this though 1) you piss off almost everyone else on the road, 2) you miss the whole reason for having a gti; listening to it sing as you rev it up and dump the clutch while still getting over 40 mpg.
later
steve

SCCA wrote:
Are the GT's, with their high performance motors, really capable of 40 to 50 mpg?
I'm seeing lots of claims. One on a recent craigslist ad, where he claimed over 40mpg. And now SSGTI's in the classified section where he is claiming 49 with a light foot.

I have been searching for many months now for a geo, or GT, or even an old chevy sprint turbo. Gas is headed to 4 bucks a gal. and I would like the savings.

I know a 1.0 metro can get 50 or more.

But, if I can get mid 40's with a GT, than I will go that route, as they are more fun to drive and it could replace my supercharged miata as my fun car.

What say you?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:02 am 

My son's 89 GTi 'parts car':

light foot, 55 mph max, 44mpg religiously. (not safe on local freeways) :? :? :?
heavy foot ? mph, 37mpg average. (not legal on local freeways) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:00 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

I've been keeping track of my mileage for the last few months. My car is an '89 GTi with weight reduction, cultus intake, cultus header, k&n cone filter, rally chip. The engine is a bit down on compression on two cylinders as well.

The lowest fuel economy I've gotten recently has been 33.1 MPG.

The highest was 39.0 MPG (with was during the course of about 7 hours of quick mountain driving during a summer road trip).

My combined city/highway driving averages out to around 35 MPG.

maybe a picture Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:03 pm 

i just put the swift back on the road a month or so ago,
so far worse i've got was about 34mpg driving really hard and best was 42mpg driving somewhat normal

^^^ cams, sandros chip, 60mm tb, genie exahust, cultus headers, 4.39 tranny

i think it will go up by a few mpg once i throw in the stock 4.10, it revs way too high on the highway